It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toddler mauled by 7 Pit Bulls

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Advantage

People that surgically alter their pets just to achieve a certain look are one of my pet peeves (forgive the pun). If you don't like an animal the way they are you should choose an animal that is more to your liking- not put an animal through the pain of an unnecessary medical procedure.

YAY!! Another rational person! You notice in my dog pics.. they all have natural ears and tails except the white AB. Her dock is a long dock, but we got her that way. Supposedly she had a broken tail, but I figure it was docked to make her more easily sold.

For my Staffie.. their ears are SUPPOSED to be natural. Theyre supposed to be rose or half pricked and hte tial natural with no curl in order to be to AKC standards. He is a PERFECT representation of the real breed. If people are lopping them off.. they just want the dog to be a pit bull look alike.. that whole " Im a weapon" accessory look.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I just found a site that scared me to bits....It explains that the problem with pitbulls is when they do attack they do more damage than any other dog due to their jaws, I will ask a mod if I can add this link.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
In the 70's German Shepherds had the "predisposition to lose it" then in the 80's it was the Dobermans.

I don't mean this in a nasty way but did you live in those decades? I did. In fact I was delivering the mail in the early 80's. Shepherds and Dobies were never castigated in this manner. They also didn't have the high rate of deaths.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I love dogs..

But could any of you seriously look at the body of the mauled child and not think that those particular dogs were innocent and should not be put down?

Of course the parents, owners, and whomever was supposed to be watching her should be held accountable, but those dogs were clearly dangerous.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Poor child, that must have been a terrifying and painful end.

With that being said.

ITS THE OWNER NOT THE BREED Ive worked with dogs and been a multiple dog owner and otherwise been around dogs my entire life and i have seen an example of violent behavior in every breed i have come across from Yorkie to Mastiff. I have seen children get their faces ripped up by toy poodles and i have seen children climb all over and harass pit bulls and receive nothing but a vicious tongue lashing. It is all in the way the dogs are raised and trained, the parents should face criminal negligence charges and yes the dogs obviously needed to be destroyed.

I have owned two pits in my life and they were nothing but sweet well tempered creatures who loved people and children and other dogs, and i know several other people who own pits as well and they are of the same temperament.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Retikx because: (must be filled out)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I was and very distinctly recall the scary Doberman stories in the nightly news along with all the scary imagery of the "crack epidemic" dealers with their dobermans hanging out on corners. The shepherds I dont remember so much as I was younger then.

The NCRC has some excellent media hype timeline tracking in their literature that shows the prevalence of breeds being reported on ans when as well as plenty of evidence that when the media says "breed X" they have no clue what they're talking about and never bother to fact check.

Their bite and fatality reports alone compared to media reports of the same events are quite eye-opening as to how hollow popular perception based on media reports is.
edit on 29-3-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
If Pitbull owners think they are not vicious can you tell me why owners have breadsticks made for the use to open the jaws of one If it has bitten something and will not let go?

www.thebullyhouse.net...

From the site.

EVERY PITBULL OWNER NEEDS AT LEAST ONE OF THESE. IF YOU OWN A PITBULL YOU KNOW HOW MUCH DRIVE THEY HAVE AND HOW WHEN THEY WANT SOMETHING IT IS VERY HARD TO STOP THEM FROM GETTING IT.

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. YOU NEED TO BE PREPAIRED. IF YOUR PITBULL FIGHTS OR GET INTO A FIGHT WITH ANOTHER PITBULL AND LOCK UP ON EACH OTHER HOW ARE YOU GOING TO STOP THE PITBULL FIGHT?

IF YOU ARE WALKING YOUR DOG ON A LEASH AND ANOTHER DOG NOT ON A LEASH ATTACKS YOUR DOG WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

A PITBULL FIGHT IS HARD TO BREAK UP WITH 2 PEOPLE HELPING. JUST IMAGINE HOW HARD IT IS TO BREAK UP A PITBULL FIGHT BY YOURSELF.

So If you have a Pitbull and you do not have one of these please get one.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You found Michael Vick's virtual store front?

I've never seen or used one of these "breaking sticks" in all my years with dogs and kennel volunteering.

Maybe you'd need one if you're running a fighting ring? I wouldnt know since that's a #ed up thing to do.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

NO.

good lord. If you own a pit bull that is vicious (because you made it that way with your #ty training) and you allow it to get near another dog knowing full well that it may "snap" and tear the other dog to pieces then your animal should be destroyed because it is out of control and you should be up on various charges if your dog does in fact shred another dog to ribbons.

Yes pit bulls have incredible jaw strength and yes it is difficult to part two of them if they get into it, but it is just as hard to separate two rotties or two sheps. Hell try to get between two pissed off jacks and tell me its easy.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I am curious if you got my apology and were going to reply to my question?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I love animals but I hate pitbulls. So many people want pitbulls just for the simple fact that they are so aggressive. I usually walk to the store all the time just because it's only 2 blocks away and the alley is the fastest way. At the end of the alley are two pit bills in a yard that go crazy everytime I walk by like they want to eat me and I just laugh everytime because I know if those dogs get over that fence, it will be the last thing they ever do.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by Advantage
Ahem... I have a coat, booties, and little PJs for my Hairless Crested. Clothes?? How about a wardrobe.
OOPS! There's that dastardly laughing emoticon again!!

I can't really fight this one myself as the girls dress up our dog all the time...
(just for you)

I apologize if I sounded condescending, I can do that. And I want to be clear to you and anyone owning a Pit I do not want them put down. Where I am from they used to do illegal dog fighting (they still might I don't know) and these dogs were the champions! They were bred to be fighters and unfortunately all of them have that in them! It was horrible and sickening and although this and coupled with my own experiences guide my perceptions I see this breed as needing to have that fighting bred out.

Is that so wrong? We bred them into this behavior why not bred them out of it? Make the sickening Dog fighting a thing of the past!
edit on 29-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

Yeah, but are they non flammable dog safe dog clothes??!!

No problems between you and I...
I get completely where you are coming from and for the most part I agree. I agree wholeheartedly with stopping dog fighting. Its big business in this county... and turns my stomach. Many folks ( like me) promote the idea of responsible breeding and more regulation concerning breeders in general. Id love to do away with back yard breeding and open sales... but the best we will get is regulated breeding I think.. if that! In all reality... its not a given these breeds are dangerous. There ARE lines that for the last numerous generations, the breeding has been selective for good qualities. On the other side of that coin.. we have a large amount of irresponsible breeders that go specifically for aggression and power.
example: the regulation for my Staffie is a male top weight around 38-40 lbs. Ive seen these aggression breeders list their Staffies at 100+ lbs. Same with the American Staffies and Pit bulls. You can very easily tell who is breeding what.. and for what purposes.
"bull breeds" is a bad label.
THIS is a typical Staffordshire Bull Terrier
dogbreedweb.com...
THIS is an American Staffordshire terrier
img82.imageshack.us...
The breeding definitely shows.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I am curious if you got my apology and were going to reply to my question?

Sorry, had company stop by!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Ive had dogs all my life, but until the past 2 years Ive never had a Pit bull, was actually afraid of getting one because of all the stories about them.

Than I found her at a pound, couldn't help it I had to get her she was so cute.

Never have I had a problem with her, She is the most loving sweetest dog I have ever owned, obedient smart and loyal.

BUT She is STRONG, she is probably the strongest dog I have ever owned, she can pull me around when we play with her rope and I am a big dude.

Like anything, Guns, Cars, Power tools that can cause harm, its a responsibility of the owner to ensure they are properly used.

With a pit that means proper obedience training and diligence with the breeds natural behaviors, also means not putting them in a pack of seven where those instincts will only be fostered.

Its the owners fault, having 7 large to medium sized dogs makes me question them right off, its the owners fault not the breed.

Any dog can be dangerous if not properly watched for and taken care of period.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
How the Hell do you leave a toddler unattended with 7 large dogs,especially a breed that is known to have a tendency to be aggressive??? But i'm not picking on Pitts here,i have also heard,and not just in this thread,of people telling of how loving and good-natured their Pittbulls are.

Upon hearing of stories as what happened to this poor child,it is painfully obvious the owner/parents/grandmother was at fault.There was a time when i thought it may be best to let the breed peter out,by banning the further breeding-but then there are still Rotties,Dobermans,various other breeds that tend to be aggressive in nature-if Pitbulls had to be discontinued-there would still be fatal attacks by other breeds.

It may go a way towards preventing such tragedies if owners of breeds known to be aggressive in nature,had to comply with the following:
They are only allowed to keep the dogs in yards with a high sturdy fence or wall,sturdy gates,to be kept locked at all times,and warning signs on the gate or fence.
To be prosecuted for murder if their dog gets out through their own carelessness and kills someone,with a jail sentence concurrent with the seriousness of the charge.
To be held liable for damages and medical/veterinary costs incurred by surviving victims(human and other animals)should the dog get out and attack through the carelessness of the owner.

If you have a small child,a gentler breed like a Labrador,or Retriever or Great Dane is best,if you live in an area with a high crime rate,and you feel you need a big dog.Danes are excellent around children,we have kept that breed for many years,and they are very adequate guard dogs-but they love children,and have very gentle natures.Also it's essential to teach children to never go near a dog that's eating or sleeping,and to never play near it with toys that could startle it,or hurt it.Even a Fox Terrier could snap at a toddlers face or neck,when startled or hurt.I've also warned my kids that older dogs tend to be ornery,no matter what the breed.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

edit on 29-3-2013 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I know the OP has a concern, but unfortunately these threads are always show ignorance. I really implore people to look up the fallacies of Breed Specific Legislation or BSL. The ASPCA is a place to start.

Hands down the owner of the 7 APBTs should be held accountable. Listen people, YOU NEVER! I'll repeat this, NEVER leave a child alone with animals, ESPECIALLY SEVEN DOGS or any "pack" of dogs, which can be just two.
edit on 29-3-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
(Going to add my numerous replies into one here)

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by NONPOINT21

My childhood pal had her face ripped off by a pitbull that lived a few doors down, my Dad and neighbor had to kill the dog with a spade and she who was a very pretty girl is to this day is scarred really bad..It ruined her life.
So I do not like them, I find pure breeds of dogs wrong and bad for the specie.
We should still have dog licences but we did away with them.

Purebreds are fine and advance canines. The problem lies in other factors such as improper breeding/backyard breedig, BSL laws-which are out of hand, abuse anf allowing children to be alone with dogs, especially...goes without saying, a pack of 7 dogs.

If they haven't already the Pitt-Bull sympathizers and owners will drop in with cute and cuddly photos of this aggressively bred dog. And tell you how they "Control" their Animal. If they did you would never hear about this.

But let's get some facts 100% straight. This breed of animal was bred intentionally to be aggressive, vicious and mean! Frankly it needs to stop being breed. And regardless of what the MSM thinks and reports, the facts are that they are Killers plain and simple they have the highest Murder rate!

Year Total # Most fatal attacks by # Second-most fatal attacks by

2003 8 Pit bull-type (4) (50%) n/a
2004 14 Pit bull-type (10) n/a
2005 29 Pit bull (15) (52%) Rottweiler (6) (21%)
2006 30 Pit bull (17) (57%) Rottweiler (9) (30%)
2007 34 Pit bull (17) (50%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2008 23 Pit bull (15) (65%) Husky (3) (13%)
2009 30 Pit bull (14) (47%) Rottweiler (4) (13%)
2010 34 Pit bull (22) (65%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2011 30 Pit bull or "Pit bull type" (21) (70%) Rottweiler (4) (13%)
2012 35 Pit bull or "Pit bull type" (22) (63%) Rottweiler (3) (9%)

In the past 10 years Pitt Bulls have MURDERED an average of 27 people many are often children.

The next highest fatality from Rottweilers (another pointless breed) is still 9 times lower then Kills of this Animal.

Less people are Murdered by explosives, Drowned or Poison every year than this weaponized animal.

edit on 29-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

Likewise the people hell bent on hate of breeds and Breed Specific Legislation promoters will reply with "facts" about how bad certain breeds are and that they should be all euthanized, if not banned. You didn't add your source of the "facts" that you present. Is that from a Breed Specific Legislation site or?

Originally posted by boymonkey74
If Pitbull owners think they are not vicious can you tell me why owners have breadsticks made for the use to open the jaws of one If it has bitten something and will not let go?

www.thebullyhouse.net...

From the site.

EVERY PITBULL OWNER NEEDS AT LEAST ONE OF THESE. IF YOU OWN A PITBULL YOU KNOW HOW MUCH DRIVE THEY HAVE AND HOW WHEN THEY WANT SOMETHING IT IS VERY HARD TO STOP THEM FROM GETTING IT.

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. YOU NEED TO BE PREPAIRED. IF YOUR PITBULL FIGHTS OR GET INTO A FIGHT WITH ANOTHER PITBULL AND LOCK UP ON EACH OTHER HOW ARE YOU GOING TO STOP THE PITBULL FIGHT?

IF YOU ARE WALKING YOUR DOG ON A LEASH AND ANOTHER DOG NOT ON A LEASH ATTACKS YOUR DOG WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

A PITBULL FIGHT IS HARD TO BREAK UP WITH 2 PEOPLE HELPING. JUST IMAGINE HOW HARD IT IS TO BREAK UP A PITBULL FIGHT BY YOURSELF.

So If you have a Pitbull and you do not have one of these please get one.

Breadstick? That site, the hell...ELECTRIC? That site is SELLING Pitbull puppies? Puppy mill anyone? Yeah, that IS NOT a GOOD source. You don't need an electric breaker bar in general. Looks like it's meant to advertise to people who fight bully breeds. You need to know how to use a breaker bar properly. Most APB owners know about BREAKER BARS. If they don't they they do not understand the dog.

edit on 29-3-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I love all dogs but the chart kind of puts it all in perspective.
www.dogsbite.org...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sadly, this was not far from my home. A few miles maybe. And there are a lot of dog fighting properties in this part of town. It honestly would not surprise me if this was another one and a poor child got caught in the wrong moment at the wrong time if the dogs were heated about something. And I personally believe Pit Bulls are a natural aggressive dog. (if not taught right from puppy-hood) but we can't state all of them are aggressive and/or sweet. It depends on who raises them, who's around, what's around, and all that jazz. But also, any dog could snap. It all just depends.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join