It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toddler mauled by 7 Pit Bulls

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Would we have heard about this story if it were: German Shepherds, Labs, Poodles, Chihuahuas, Great Danes?

In my life experience I've had more trouble with other breeds of dogs as much as I've heard pitbulls in the news. So I feel no sympathy for anybody. Because the true victim is the breed of dog that didn't ask to be here.

Mans creation! DEAL!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
The sad fact is many breeds of dogs should not be allowed to continue to breed because they are either genetically broken and are in pain all the time (King Charles spaniels) or they are too dangerous around kids.
Here in the uk a few days ago a 14 year old girl was also killed by dogs.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I just do not understand anyone who would allow kids near these beasts...they can just snap and go mad.

You know nothing. I have one of these so called beasts, and i trust her around the kids more than I would trust another human. FACT: pit bulls were called nanny dogs, wanna know why? Here, educate yourself rather than make opinions on things you know nothing about. www.alternet.org... Don't demonize them for a mistake the humans made.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

All I have to ask is; how is it surprising this dog (pitbull) is in the news again?????

These dogs were bread to chase, "semi wild hogs and cattle," to see red and take care of the "job."

I have a bird hunting dog, he was bread to smell, track and point out birds. H has very little control over this "job"/instinct if any at all. I can't stop him from pointing at birds but I can call him off for the most part.

So how is so hard to recognize these dogs were meant for something, and to get one and not expect it to go into instinct mode here and there? It's ignorance of the animal's history.

I have seen and been around very docile and sweet pitbulls, but you bet your ass, I never let my gaurd down cause guess what, I know he is still wired to do what he was bread to do, that doesn't just go away.

Just like anyone here with pure-breed, they do what they were meant to, whether you hug it everyday or not.

Responsibility. > Having a cool looking dog, or "well, they're demonized and I know they're sweetheats." That may be, but it's yourself who is taking the chance having your family around a dog that YOU should know may go into instinct mode whether it wants to or not.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Jazz87 because: spelling.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by abeverage

Why would that surprise you? I had a pair of Shelties a long time ago. The female went nuts one day and bit one of my nieces. I had the dog put down. The male stayed with us until he died of old age and was one of my favorite dogs. My first husband was a drunk and a drug addict who tried to beat me while I was pregnant. A year after I divorced him I married my current husband who has been wonderful for 21 years. It is the same with pitbulls- you just can't judge all of them by the actions of a few. There will always be bad dogs in every breed, and bad members of every species- humans included. It isn't fair to judge them all harshly due to a previous bad experience.

You and I are on the same page on several things. Pretty cool!

I am dealing with a hinky rescued elderly irish setter/choc lab at the moment. She's going to make the cut
About 5 yrs ago I got positively mauled by a mini schnauzer... I mean this thing was dead serious. Thank god for protective gear... but he had to be put down. We had no background on him.. so who knows what made him so aggressive. Beautiful white one too.. you cant go by looks or breed concerning the potential of ANY animal.

Im surprised he is surprised too! LOL! Many of us are rational concerning animals and their potential. I got this staffie because he was sitting in a cage too long. He looks scary.. no one wanted him. Its always the looks people go by...
He has been a real joy and so responsive to training. He sounds scary as hell and looks scary as hell... but his best buddy is a 8 lb hairless chinese crested... and lets the 7 yr old put makeup on him and paint his nails.. supervised.

Here is my most loved dog.. in doggie heaven now. She was a real bone head to be trained, but turned into a virtually perfect companion. This one it took a bit to get her out of the mentality that the kids were her "puppies".. which as Im sure you know can cause issues. Darn good dog.. miss her like crazy!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Why would that surprise you? I had a pair of Shelties a long time ago. The female went nuts one day and bit one of my nieces. I had the dog put down. The male stayed with us until he died of old age and was one of my favorite dogs. My first husband was a drunk and a drug addict who tried to beat me while I was pregnant. A year after I divorced him I married my current husband who has been wonderful for 21 years. It is the same with pitbulls- you just can't judge all of them by the actions of a few. There will always be bad dogs in every breed, and bad members of every species- humans included. It isn't fair to judge them all harshly due to a previous bad experience.

It is not the same with Pit bulls or they would be on average around other dogs for incidents and fatalities.

Oh and it surprises me because instead of marrying another drug addict wife beater you learned your lesson (Stay away from drug addict aggressive men) And good for you! I mean that! But apparently you didn't learn the lesson with the dog...

Do as you please, but an average of 27 fatalities (when the Rot has an average of 4) is warning enough to me! I can kinda tell if someone is a drug user as I am sure you used the same logic when finding your next husband.

I don't need to be bit once or have someone else bit to learn my lesson I know better than to make that mistake more than once...
edit on 29-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
My dog was attacked by a pit bull, and now he's terrified and traumatized to take walks anymore. But really it is the owners fault that these dogs attacked this child. You can't blame the dogs for this.

I'm willing to bet that these owners had some type of dog fighting going on to own 7 pit bulls.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazz87

All I have to ask is; how is it surprising this dog (pitbull) is in the news again?????

These dogs were bread to chase, "semi wild hogs and cattle," to see red and take care of the "job."

I have a bird hunting dog, he was bread to smell, track and point out birds. H has very little control over this "job"/instinct if any at all. I can't stop him from pointing at birds but I can call him off for the most part.

So how is so hard to recognize these dogs were meant for something, and to get one and not expect it to go into instinct mode here and there? It's ignorance of the animal's history.

I have seen and been around very docile and sweet pitbulls, but you bet your ass, I never let my gaurd down cause guess what, I know he is still wired to do what he was bread to do, that doesn't just go away.

Just like anyone here with pure-breed, they do what they were meant to, whether you hug it everyday or not.

Responsibility. > Having a cool looking dog, or "well, they're demonized and I know they're sweetheats." That may be, but it's yourself who is taking the chance having your family around a dog that YOU should know may go into instinct mode whether it wants to or not.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Jazz87 because: spelling.

Kind of reminds me of non-smokers telling smokers how much better they feel! LOL

I love too how I got the "you don't love dogs routine." People don't get that an Animal like a pit or a lab are specifically bred generation after generation after generation for certain abilities. Any more than the know the sex of dog matters for these skills either or if a dog has been nutered...just that they are sooo cuteums LOL

But some people never learn until something bad enough happens...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
My dog was attacked by a pit bull, and now he's terrified and traumatized to take walks anymore. But really it is the owners fault that these dogs attacked this child. You can't blame the dogs for this.

I'm willing to bet that these owners had some type of dog fighting going on to own 7 pit bulls.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

Maybe.. maybe not. A LOT of people get pits and bully breeds as extensions of their penises... makes em tough they think.
Well, in reality its not that funny. More pits are put down and more pits cause harm by these types than I can express. Our local shelter puts all drug house dogs down... and they are mainly bull breeds. YOu been to a bully breed show?? If you ever go, take a look at the "type" of people who are breeding certain types with these tough names... they are the ones giving the breed a TERRIBLE rep and putting people at risk. Ill NEVER deny the potential these and other bully/mastiff breeds have... they can be very dangerous. Due to the BS with this "type" of owner.. Im all for regulation. Im not the only one sick and tired of dealing with the product of these owners.
We had a guy several yrs ago who was cross breeding a high content wolf dog with an am staff... wanted to make a new breed of super aggressive "protection dog" he planned to call an Archangel. The first litter got old enough to sell.. and they were sold to owners who had NO idea concerning the high content wolf behaviors. The law protects these jerks... and shelters/behaviorists/etc have to deal with what they put out there...mainly by euthanizing them. People dump hard to control dogs.. and then they pack up... and thats when we have issues with kids getting killed walking to school. Its not so much the breed.. as the human and the humans idiotic actions. You can see it plain as day in the OPs story.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
A lot of my friends have Pits and some even raise them.

Never have a met one that was aggressive in any way, what so ever. In fact, they are some of the most awesome dogs I've been around.

It's idiots that raise ANY kind of dog to be mean that ruins it for everyone else.

Nature v Nurture.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NONPOINT21
reply to post by Jaellma

I own a pit bull and take offense to how this breed of dog has been cast as a vicious breed. They are no bad dogs just bad owners. This is a horrific tragedy, but obviously when you read the story the child was unsupervised and the neglect of the parents with the child along with having more dogs then than you should ever raise (9 dogs total they said) is the reason why this child suffered this horrific death. It is the parents fault for not watching their child and dogs.

Unfortunately you are not correct on this to an extent, this breed is the only one they put in the media from dog fighting, mick vick, to attacks on people etc. Their are many breeds that are far more aggressive such as Chow Chows, Rottweilers, Poodles, Cocker Spaniels to name a few. Most pit bulls arepn't really as aggressive as they're made out to be. They tend to be loving, gentle and playful. But there are some that have been raised and trained to be highly aggressive. Such pit bulls tend to be more aggressive toward other animals than people. Aggressive pit bulls often have a history of being abused or neglected, and getting trained specifically to fight.

My pit bull Rex trys to be a 70lb lap dog and would never hurt anything, because I've raised him correctly. These parents should be held accountable for more than the guilt, if they even have any as I'm not sure how you leave a 21 month old child unsupervised.

Awesome post. My Pitt is best friends with all of my kids. When the kids first got introduced to her when they were really young, she took to them right away, and them to her. My Pitt would never hurt my kids, no matter how hard ive seen them pull on her ears. They used to do that when they were toddling, my dog would just whimper a little, and lick them off her ear. But I've always been right there also. In the ten years I've had my children, and dog, I've had 0 incidents/accidents. That's better than some union run ship yards ya know. So please, all of you Pitt bull hate mongering ignoramuses can please exit the thread, and stop hating on something that does not deserve it, and one other thing, please, please, please, go get yourselves educated. You can throw all the statistic numbers, and news coverage on them at me all you want, because we all know that if the gov. Or media don't approve they make it look really bad, and spin it however they want so they can complete their agenda.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter
So please, all of you Pitt bull hate mongering ignoramuses can please exit the thread, and stop hating on something that does not deserve it, and one other thing, please, please, please, go get yourselves educated.

So you want only people that share your opinion to voice it here. Not likely.

You can throw all the statistic numbers, and news coverage on them at me all you want, because we all know that if the gov. Or media don't approve they make it look really bad, and spin it however they want so they can complete their agenda.

I wouldn't do that as I know no one of that opinion will listen to stats. I WILL say though that I was a letter carrier for 7 years and delivered pizzas part time for 5. I'm intimately "educated" on most dog breeds.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Oh and it surprises me because instead of marrying another drug addict wife beater you learned your lesson (Stay away from drug addict aggressive men)

Now that's really stretching it. I did not marry a drug addict, wife beater, aggressive man. He became one when he couldn't handle the success I was having in my career while his remained stagnant. Just as a man can change from a mild mannered, kindhearted person into a monster so can an animal. One man snapping and turning violent doesn't mean I should turn against all men and switch to women, just as one dog snapping and turning violent doesn't mean I should switch to lap dogs. Honestly as a child I was repeatedly attacked and bitten by an aunt's pack of chihuahuas and would never dream of having one in my house. It is a matter of preference, being an informed owner and exercising caution no matter what breed of animal you might choose to share your life with.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
If they haven't already the Pitt-Bull sympathizers and owners will drop in with cute and cuddly photos of this aggressively bred dog. And tell you how they "Control" their Animal. If they did you would never hear about this.

But let's get some facts 100% straight. This breed of animal was bred intentionally to be aggressive, vicious and mean! Frankly it needs to stop being breed. And regardless of what the MSM thinks and reports, the facts are that they are Killers plain and simple they have the highest Murder rate!

Year Total # Most fatal attacks by # Second-most fatal attacks by

2003 8 Pit bull-type (4) (50%) n/a
2004 14 Pit bull-type (10) n/a
2005 29 Pit bull (15) (52%) Rottweiler (6) (21%)
2006 30 Pit bull (17) (57%) Rottweiler (9) (30%)
2007 34 Pit bull (17) (50%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2008 23 Pit bull (15) (65%) Husky (3) (13%)
2009 30 Pit bull (14) (47%) Rottweiler (4) (13%)
2010 34 Pit bull (22) (65%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2011 30 Pit bull or "Pit bull type" (21) (70%) Rottweiler (4) (13%)
2012 35 Pit bull or "Pit bull type" (22) (63%) Rottweiler (3) (9%)

In the past 10 years Pitt Bulls have MURDERED an average of 27 people many are often children.

The next highest fatality from Rottweilers (another pointless breed) is still 9 times lower then Kills of this Animal.

Less people are Murdered by explosives, Drowned or Poison every year than this weaponized animal.

the sad fact of that "Statistics" is that they are "pitbull type" "TYPE" even when they are in fact not even DNA related, did you know that my dog is a cross between a "PUREBREED" sheepdog and "PUREBREED" golden labradore, yet he is"officially" classed as a "pitbull type" bread of dog,

you wana know why??

because according to the authorities a "pitbull type" breed only has to "look" like a pitbull even tho even a proper pitbull(not a bulked up one) doesn't even look like one. they have to have head dimentions that fall into catagory(which my dog does, and many other do) the way it "stands"(which my dog does,however you wana work that one out) its full tail hanging down and curve at the end(which my dog does, and also so do many many other type dogs do) their shape of their muzzle(which my does does and also many other do) and ears(cant remember what they were supposed to be like).
As you can see many many unrelated dogs are been catagorised as "pitbull type" dogs that might not have any relation to them at all, I personally know of a family that had their dog confiscated, locked up for over a year from its owners in a pound while a courtcase decided weither the dog was legal or not, dispite the dog been proven to be not genetically related to a "pitbull type" dog, it was still utanised because it looked like one.

I'm not trying to bash you or anyone else, I'm mearly trying to make people aware of the facts that these dogs are been unfairly judged/slandered and basicly murdered on false pretexts and a bad name on them and the biggest culprates are the Media who only publish these sensationalised stories to make money.
If you still want to go a believe this type or any type of dog is EVIL, then you have no hope and should not be in this forum discussing this as you can not even look up the facts yourself,
ALL dogs have the potential to be dangerous. Just please dont be a sheep and spout out BS the media sold you and do the research.

EDIT:

www.pitbullsontheweb.com...

so how many goes did it take you to get it right??
Honestly it took me a few too.....
edit on 29/3/13 by scoobyrob because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
and lets the 7 yr old put makeup on him and paint his nails.. supervised.

Uh...can I ask what kind of polish? I hope something non-toxic! As you may or may not lick and bite your fingers I am pretty sure all dogs are always licking and biting their paws.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I know the pit bull defenders would gang up on me on this thread but that's ok. The intent is to raise awareness and let people know that we need to protect our own human beings also. It's ok to love man's best friend but please, please do not get it twisted when to comes to our own safety over potential dangerous situations involving any animal.

In spite of all reports saying that pit bulls are loving, caring, family oriented and "nanny dogs", unfortunately the stats never support this.

The sobering and updated 2012 dog attack reports contradict these numbers. From dogsbite.org:

In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans and accounted for 60% of the total recorded deaths (251). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 73% of these deaths.

38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012.2 Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 600 U.S. cities,3 pit bulls contributed to 61% (23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.

Together, pit bulls (23) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 68% of all fatal attacks in 2012. In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, this combination accounted for 73% (183) of the total recorded deaths (251).

The breakdown between pit bulls and rottweilers is substantial over this 8-year period. From 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 32, about one citizen every 91 days.

Annual data from 2012 shows that 50% (19) of the victims were adults, 21-years and older, and the other half were children, ages 8-years and younger. Of the total children killed by dogs in 2012, 79% (15) were ages 2-years and younger.

2012 Dog Bites Fatalities - Sobering stats

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazz87

Sounds so familiar. I seem to recall bigot after bigot going on about the "bred in" aggressiveness and strength that plantain owners nurtured into their slaves over hundreds of years.

Dont you see how ridiculous it is to demonize an entire species, one that may not even be responsible here given the medias inability to identify dog breeds in the first place, for a singular or even a common action?

They were "designed" for these traits. We cant trust'em. Better lock'em all up. America is doing a pretty bang up job with the people so why not the dogs, right?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by Advantage
and lets the 7 yr old put makeup on him and paint his nails.. supervised.

Uh...can I ask what kind of polish? I hope something non-toxic! As you may or may not like and bite your fingers I am pretty sure all dogs are always licking and biting their paws.

I suppose you dont know they make nail polish FOR canines and felines?? You are one poster that overuses the eye rolling smiley... ad nauseum. Dont let your eyes roll out of your head with your arrogance... that would be tragic. I find that when one tries to talk down to people they dont know and dont know what theyre involved in.. they tend to make themselves look like an ass.

This is where we order it.
www.poochieheaven.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Dogsbite.org is bunk for the very basic reason it pulls it's stats from media reports. Reports where the breed is assumed by unprofessional people.

You want real science and substantiated reports?

NCRC

But you'll just ignore and go on relying on untrained and unqualified reports from hillbilly neighbors and "journalists". It was a pit bull! He had a thousand teeth and we clubbed it ftty times and it wouldnt die! It's soul is coming for me right now!!

Dogsbite.org should be put into the same class as WND.
edit on 29-3-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by scoobyrob

Did you refuse to look at the data that said only Pit bull only for 5 years? The numbers are still 3X or higher than the next breed.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Pit bull attacking another dog with owner trying to stop the attack. SMH.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join