It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toddler mauled by 7 Pit Bulls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Not again. I am sick and tired of hearing stories like this. As a father of a 2-year old child and animal lover, stories like these just make me sad.

When will these people learn to use common sense and responsibility when dealing with these animals. They may be loving and act just like any other normal dog would BUT more often than normal, they attack unprovoked.

A toddler mauled by 7 dogs passed away on Wednesday. The 21-month-old, whose name has not been released, was attacked by 7 pit bulls in the backyard of her parents' home in Bryan County. The seven dogs, all pit bulls and pit bull mixes, were euthanized by Bryan Country Animal Control following the attack.

I mean, I am torn between the love for all dogs and the fact that these type of dogs seem to be in the news, for the wrong reasons, more so than any other breed. Am I being wrong with that statement?

I am not sure if pit bulls and pit bull mixes should be outlawed or maybe more stringent rules need to be enacted to help the irresponsible people handling these creatures but something has to be done.

Toddler killed by 7 dogs

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I've seen a pack of corgis maul a cat unprovoked. They got all riled up and when one hits the red zone they all hit the red zone.

The reason you see "pit bulls" in the news a lot is no accident or coincidence. These dogs are the new black gun, the new black man.

Idiots need and want to irrationally fear a thing and these poor dogs are the hot thing.

Parenting fail

The International Business Times reports that the grandmother of the toddler mauled by 7 dogs was asleep in the house when she was woken up by a commotion outside. When she looked out the window, she saw the toddler being attacked.

Ultra Parenting Fail

A 21-month-old girl, whose name has not been revealed, was attacked in the backyard of her house by seven dogs owned by her family, Bryan County deputy sheriff James Beatty said.
link

Grandma sleeps while a 12 year old a toddler and seven dogs run around unsupervised and it's the dogs who get the punishment?

If the kids took grandmas car for a joy ride and killed somebody and themselves would the car be put down?

Accidents happen. They happen more often to irresponsible people.
edit on 29-3-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The sad fact is many breeds of dogs should not be allowed to continue to breed because they are either genetically broken and are in pain all the time (King Charles spaniels) or they are too dangerous around kids.
Here in the uk a few days ago a 14 year old girl was also killed by dogs.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I just do not understand anyone who would allow kids near these beasts...they can just snap and go mad.

link   
I hear you. The dogs were just being dogs, and doing what they have instincts to do. No-one in their right mind should leave ANY child alone with ANY dog. Jack Russells have killed children...it doesn't need to be a pit bull.

I believe all dog owners should be licensed, and have to attend some kind of training and suitability assessment, especially for breeds like this. Many years ago, one of the attacks in Scotland that prompted the moronic Dangerous Dogs Act in the UK was when an 8 year old girl was attacked and killed by the 2 family Rottweilers while she was out walking them ....on her own! There was another horrific attack just days ago in the UK when a girl was killed by a family friend's 5 dogs...Mastiffs, Staffies and others.

We need some serious re-education of dog owners over what is acceptable and what isn't, or terrible events like this will continue. Weirdly though, the fuss is always made about Pits, when the stats on dog kills show that St Bernards and Great Danes can be just as dangerous.

link   
It's not the dogs it's the owners of the dogs.
Who owns seven pit bulls? I know many people who keep them as pets with no issues. No one I know owns more than 2 or 3.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn the family was involved in dog fighting in some way.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I think the reference to "the new black man" is in poor taste but anyway, please provide evidence to the contrary of the following.

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities." (Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R. Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998. JAVMA 2000;217:836-840.)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I dont have to mainly because those numbers are meaningless.

In 2009, the incarceration
rate (number per 100,000 population) among African-American males was almost 7
times higher than that among white males (4,749 African-American v. 708 white), and the rate among Hispanic
males was more than 2.5 times higher (1,822 Hispanic) than that among white males.
Prison populations

Oh look. Black people must be inherinitly more violent than white people.

See how ridiculous, and racist, it is?

I get it. Simple minds love to hate. Hating on black people fell out of vogue. Hating the black dog is the next logical place to focus this insane and irrational fear.
edit on 29-3-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I own a pit bull and take offense to how this breed of dog has been cast as a vicious breed. They are no bad dogs just bad owners. This is a horrific tragedy, but obviously when you read the story the child was unsupervised and the neglect of the parents with the child along with having more dogs then than you should ever raise (9 dogs total they said) is the reason why this child suffered this horrific death. It is the parents fault for not watching their child and dogs.

Unfortunately you are not correct on this to an extent, this breed is the only one they put in the media from dog fighting, mick vick, to attacks on people etc. Their are many breeds that are far more aggressive such as Chow Chows, Rottweilers, Poodles, Cocker Spaniels to name a few. Most pit bulls aren't really as aggressive as they're made out to be. They tend to be loving, gentle and playful. But there are some that have been raised and trained to be highly aggressive. Such pit bulls tend to be more aggressive toward other animals than people. Aggressive pit bulls often have a history of being abused or neglected, and getting trained specifically to fight.

My pit bull Rex trys to be a 70lb lap dog and would never hurt anything, because I've raised him correctly. These parents should be held accountable for more than the guilt, if they even have any as I'm not sure how you leave a 21 month old child unsupervised.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I personally love dogs... but only certain kinds and i'm not really much of a bull-type dog fan myself.

I've been around some in my time, they're cool and they for the most part pretty friendly and all that but, it just bothers me that they are so strong. Put your hands on one and the thing feels like it's muscles are made of iron. So take one that's a little off ... or pissed off for whatever reason.. and it's going to be trouble to the tenth power.

I don't know, it's just a shame cause for the most part the ones i've been around were very nice and gentle creatures. I don't know man, too many people love them trying to ban them would be like trying to ban beer.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

That is such an asinine statement. Obviously you've never owned a so called dangerous breed of dog. If you had a pit bull you would change your tune very quickly I promise you that. Your perception is based on myth and not reality. That is a big problem in this world you take other peoples opinions as fact and never experience anything for yourself.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Why would any adult leave a toddler unsupervised with seven dogs....no matter what the breed?

That's the problem here. The dogs behaved as a pack, which is a natural behavior. It could've happened with chihuahuas and ended with the same result.

Don't blame the dogs, blame the adult.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NONPOINT21

I absolutely agree with that. I have a Staffie, and am sick and tired of people crossing the street to avoid him, or even threatening to kill him because of his breed. He can be a bit feisty with other dogs, but is a sweetheart with people...very friendly, and more importantly, pretty well on with his training and under control. It's ignorance, and nothing more that causes this terrible reaction to them.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Who in the hell turns a two year old toddler loose with a pack of 7 dogs- of any breed? Especially big dogs! Even a pack of 7 lap dogs could seriously maim a child that small! Even if adults were in the yard with the tot it still isn't a safe situation as that many dogs could seriously injure a child that small even if they were only trying to play or love on the tot. What the heck is wrong with some of these parents? It's like they have no common sense at all!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
having jobs where I go on peoples properties when they aren't home i've had countless run in with dogs and ive been bitten twice

the mentality changes when there are 2 dogs, and 3 or more is a pack and it's totally different. there is always a instigator who gets them all fired up. i just don't go on a property with 3 or more dogs and the owner not home and they are showing the slightest signs of aggression unless i've been there before and they know me and I know them

i've seen pack of 9 golden retrievers get fired up by the young one

yes, goldens

so having this many pits is just stupid

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NONPOINT21

My childhood pal had her face ripped off by a pitbull that lived a few doors down, my Dad and neighbor had to kill the dog with a spade and she who was a very pretty girl is to this day is scarred really bad..It ruined her life.
So I do not like them, I find pure breeds of dogs wrong and bad for the specie.
We should still have dog licences but we did away with them.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NONPOINT21
reply to post by Jaellma

I own a pit bull and take offense to how this breed of dog has been cast as a vicious breed. They are no bad dogs just bad owners. This is a horrific tragedy, but obviously when you read the story the child was unsupervised and the neglect of the parents with the child along with having more dogs then than you should ever raise (9 dogs total they said) is the reason why this child suffered this horrific death. It is the parents fault for not watching their child and dogs.

Unfortunately you are not correct on this to an extent, this breed is the only one they put in the media from dog fighting, mick vick, to attacks on people etc. Their are many breeds that are far more aggressive such as Chow Chows, Rottweilers, Poodles, Cocker Spaniels to name a few. Most pit bulls aren't really as aggressive as they're made out to be. They tend to be loving, gentle and playful. But there are some that have been raised and trained to be highly aggressive. Such pit bulls tend to be more aggressive toward other animals than people. Aggressive pit bulls often have a history of being abused or neglected, and getting trained specifically to fight.

My pit bull Rex trys to be a 70lb lap dog and would never hurt anything, because I've raised him correctly. These parents should be held accountable for more than the guilt, if they even have any as I'm not sure how you leave a 21 month old child unsupervised.

Your free to investigate..
sure, i bet these storys about THIS breed is
more favorouble than other breeds in MSM..
BUT, any case were a human is killed or
severly injured by an animal is reported.
I think that with some go, anyone can
make some kind of statistic on incident
vs breed. Problem is, would YOU belive
it? Lets say THIS breed (pitbuls) is at
a HUGE majority, would you accept
that as true? I know your answer...

And yes i myself have dogs, one of them
is abit unreliable around kids. But we control
that, he´s not alowed around other kids.
As owner YOU are ultimatly responisble for
your dogs/animals action. If you have no
control, you shouldnt have the animal. PERIOD

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Thanks, many people are naturally scared and confuse excitement from a dog with aggressiveness. I get the same thing when I walk him, half are like awe hes so cute and the other half try to avoid eye contact. It's really boiled down to what you were taught most of the time.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I have had friends bitten in the face as well, I also was chased and bitten by a little tiny dog (dont know breed) but I do not hold that for life and hold all dogs accountable for the few. Like I said there are no bad dogs just bad owners, if you raise a pup or a child it is your responsibility to teach them the correct ways to live is it not?

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
If they haven't already the Pitt-Bull sympathizers and owners will drop in with cute and cuddly photos of this aggressively bred dog. And tell you how they "Control" their Animal. If they did you would never hear about this.

But let's get some facts 100% straight. This breed of animal was bred intentionally to be aggressive, vicious and mean! Frankly it needs to stop being breed. And regardless of what the MSM thinks and reports, the facts are that they are Killers plain and simple they have the highest Murder rate!

Year Total # Most fatal attacks by # Second-most fatal attacks by

2003 8 Pit bull-type (4) (50%) n/a
2004 14 Pit bull-type (10) n/a
2005 29 Pit bull (15) (52%) Rottweiler (6) (21%)
2006 30 Pit bull (17) (57%) Rottweiler (9) (30%)
2007 34 Pit bull (17) (50%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2008 23 Pit bull (15) (65%) Husky (3) (13%)
2009 30 Pit bull (14) (47%) Rottweiler (4) (13%)
2010 34 Pit bull (22) (65%) Rottweiler (4) (12%)
2011 30 Pit bull or "Pit bull type" (21) (70%) Rottweiler (4) (13%)
2012 35 Pit bull or "Pit bull type" (22) (63%) Rottweiler (3) (9%)

In the past 10 years Pitt Bulls have MURDERED an average of 27 people many are often children.

The next highest fatality from Rottweilers (another pointless breed) is still 9 times lower then Kills of this Animal.

Less people are Murdered by explosives, Drowned or Poison every year than this weaponized animal.

edit on 29-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey

Originally posted by NONPOINT21
reply to post by Jaellma

Your free to investigate..
sure, i bet these storys about THIS breed is
more favorouble than other breeds in MSM..
BUT, any case were a human is killed or
severly injured by an animal is reported.
I think that with some go, anyone can
make some kind of statistic on incident
vs breed. Problem is, would YOU belive
it? Lets say THIS breed (pitbuls) is at
a HUGE majority, would you accept
that as true? I know your answer...

And yes i myself have dogs, one of them
is abit unreliable around kids. But we control
that, he´s not alowed around other kids.
As owner YOU are ultimatly responisble for
your dogs/animals action. If you have no
control, you shouldnt have the animal. PERIOD

If you can find those figures of the deaths by dogs in the world and they said pit bulls then I would believe that but you also need to find domesticated dogs to wild roaming in packs also. This story isn't about 1 dog biting a mail man, its about 9 dogs 7 of which attacked an unsupervised child in a pack mentality.

I agree 100% as I've said in earlier posts that you are 100% responsible for your child and your dogs.
edit on 29-3-2013 by NONPOINT21 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join