Do you believe to be influenced by commercials,ads and different marketing tehniques?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I hope this is the right forum for this post

Whenever I talk to anyone about this matter, 99% of times I am being told: "No, definetely not. Everybody knows their tricks"

Although the thing actually is, most people do not know most marketing tricks or not much about our subconsciousness, especially less-educated people or people who tend to make more emotional decisions.

I have one main argument, which I believe is enough to see, how much we are influenced subconsciously by different commercials and ads, whether on streets, internet, stores, wherever.

1) We live in a capitalist world, where everything is measured in money, especially in bigger corporation. Often even charity events are simply made in order to build their reputation not in order to do something good.

2) Billions are spent on different marketing campaigns and adverts. Companies pays millions of dollars for a brief commercial during programs which have extremely high viewership, including sponsoring sports clubs.

3) We can conclude that the marketing must increase sales in high margins, otherwise in the capitalistic world such thing as marketing would simply not exist

Not promoting a product, although recently I read Roberto Cialdini "Influence" and it was a truly eye-opening book for me, when it showed different scientific studies about influence and how easily human mind can be influenced

So what do you think? Are you influenced by all the media or you believe not to?

edit on 29-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
If I want or need something I go look for it.

Pro-active assaults on my senses such as ads or sales people immediately shut me down and turn me off to the product or store in question.

The absolute second I hear somebody say "can I help you?" I turn and leave.

If I see some still or motion ad of fake people enjoying a thing in some ridiculous setting I avoid the item in question.

So I guess, yes, ads affect me. Just not the way the advertisers want them to. Or is it exactly how they want it to?
edit on 29-3-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
As you have pointed out, everyone is affected by marketing to some extent (whether people know it or not).

Yeah, i look at some ads and think just how stupid they are, but i have no doubt that other ads may have a subconscious affect on me. The same, i would bet, can be applied to a lot of others.

Marketing can also be much more than just a billboard or a TV advert. Here, i will point readers to Edward Bernays. While he was not involved in marketing, he revolutionised Public Relations, and was a master at influencing and manipulating society. Such is the power of PR, Propaganda and marketing.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Gonna let Bill Hicks tell you my thoughts on advertisers.

WARNING SWEARING.

I hate them, I hate adverts which do not even show the product but shows a lifestyle etc.
I think we are all effected by it and it will only get worse when you see that billboards will target you as an individual for their products, we see it on the net all the time.
Come the revolution advertisers will be the first against the wall.
edit on 29-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Interesting view. For example, even the design/package can often lead to decisions, if the products are similar and not tried before. Shops are designed for getting the person buy as much as possible. Often even lines in stores are intentional part of it.

Another thing that is used a lot is associations. Do you know why music and celebrities are often used in commercials?

One of the first large companies to discover this was Pepsi.

At some point in history, do not remember exactly when. Pepsi was financially in a really bad position. They decided to take a risk. They paid a ridiculous amount of money for using Michael Jackson in their commercial. At that point every other company believed it to be extremely stupid decision. Although a miracle happened and their sales increased tremendously which saved the company from bankrupt. And after that it is a common thing to pay such amounts for celebrities.

It showed that the ad does not need to create a positive image for the product, it simply needs to create a positive feeling inside personś mind and the brain automatically associates the feeling with the product.

I do not remember where I heard about this particular story or whether it is valid or not, maybe it was some other famous company or celebrity, although many marketing books talk about associations and it is one of the most widely used techniques, as far as I know.

Statistics about different marketing techniques are remarkable and the use of internet has made much easier to see this in person, a´la chaing design or some elements, simple things in your website can often lead to quite a number of extra sales. It is so funny to see so many companies putting no effort into their website

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The use of many different tactics to make us desire things is utilized. Sounds, colors, even lcd technology and frequencies out of our conscious range of perception are utilized to make us desire things. Add to that facial recognition or sexual stimulation included in the package and we are putty in their hands. I have researched a lot of this stuff. Most people don't consciously know they are effected but subconscious is much more aware of things than we are. The all seeing eye within us is being conditioned to make us good consumers and to stimulate the economy. We don't even know that the TV shows make us buy things many times. Seeing a new refrigerator style being touted on TV can make us buy one. We are controlled beyond our belief without knowledge of it.

Even I am effected even though I know how they do it. Conditioning is part of me. The only way I can resist is to stay out of the stores. I examine cravings a lot and when I see something I analyze the food chemistry to find what part of it I need. I am often wrong about it, it takes a few mistakes to figure it out sometimes and lots of research.

One more thing to add. The billions spent on all this advertising and colorful packaging to attract us.....The consumer pays for every bit of it in the end. Just think of how cheap food would be without this advertising. Think of the half penny added to every can of coke because of the superbowl ad.....Now look at how much savings on a can of Coke without any advertising expenses at all, their high paid advertising execs included.
edit on 29-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The best advert for any product is word of mouth, as long as you can be fairly sure that the mouth touting said product isn't personally invested in you purchasing it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Id say ive become resistant to it.

I got bought a thundercats toy i wanted when i was a child, i didnt know the cartoon was made to sell the toys.

You could argue that if you enjoy an advert, you may buy the product because it takes your brain briefly to a 'happy place'.

After 30 years of being pitched at on TV, papers, magazines, radio, internet, email, banners, roadside billboards with catchy themes or funny content... it all of sort of blurs together now.

I hate adverts on tv/radio because when i decide to watch or listen something, i want to do just that, not ads for products i will never buy or maybe ads for some that i do already - because it is a good product but a bad annoying advert will put me off! These ads i cannot avoid as easily as pretty much the rest out there. If i dont need to pee or make a drink, i sit there and zone out. Subconsciously or consciously, they are getting in my brain though.

Adverts on computers, literary media and public space advertisements (billboards, side of taxis etc) are far easier to avoid after a while - you can simply not look at them and not read them.

I have definitely grown resistant to some; but yes ultimately, i do believe that i do buy things i see advertised. But i choose to believe (perhaps falling into the exact trap marketing wants), that its purely finding out about a product that works on me and is the reason i buy the product or service. I think that if i see an advert for a product more than once, it starts to put me off it, but on the other hand its keeping the brand name or product in my mind, refreshing it constantly.

Cant want things you dont know about.
Cant buy things you forget about.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It makes me sick.. My ex used to work at Coles and struggled to get a full weeks worth of hours because of company policies, I guess it had something to do with spending etc.. But while this was going on, the very same Supermarket were paying a man Millions of dollars to simply turn up and spew a few words on their commercials about how people can save money with cheap crap food. Nothing but leeches..

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I have ad blockers on my computer, strict rules on my e mail and I use TV commercial time to go to the bathroom, get a snack, anything but sit and watch. Even though I'm not watching, I still mute the TV. If I need something, I go look for it. If it's a tool, I usually go with 1 of 3 brands, because I've used them before, know their reputation and reliability. If it's a car, I use the internet to research the best mileage, safety and reliability of the kind of vehicle I want. We are so inundated with ads that they may have some influence, but I try very hard to keep it to a minimum.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
One more thing to add. The billions spent on all this advertising and colorful packaging to attract us.....The consumer pays for every bit of it in the end. Just think of how cheap food would be without this advertising. Think of the half penny added to every can of coke because of the superbowl ad.....Now look at how much savings on a can of Coke without any advertising expenses at all, their high paid advertising execs included.
edit on 29-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Overally loved your post
Nicely written

I agree the consumer pays for it, although often not by higher prices. Usually predictions are calculated in advance in order to simply maximise the profits. These do not need to come from higher prices. For example million extra customers might bring in 10 000 000 extra profit, considering 10 dollars is earned per every sold item. That would make even a 9 million dollar marketing campaign wortfully. I do not know how much Coca-Cola earns per can, although the extra sales can easily earn more money than the campaign cost and it would not make the price higher, although their profit will increase, so from business viewpoint, a justified decision.

You can often sell thing at cheaper price and still earn much more profit than higher priced rivals

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Whether you know it or not. Whether you like it or not. Whether you believe it or not. You ARE influenced every day of your life by marketing and propaganda. Some more so than others, obviously.

You can however, minimize the effects.

Learn to analyze everything you see and hear. Shield your mind with your critical faculties.

Stop looking at it. Stop listening to it, as much as possible in your daily life.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I can't say that I've ever purchased anything based on an advertisement of any kind.. then again I can't be hypnotized either. When people stop questioning what capitalism spoon feeds then, we as a society are in big trouble.

One should also learn to recognize the language of Neural Linguistic Programming, that is also a form of "persuasive hypnosis". This article The Power of Hypnosis in Advertisement is just one of millions of links out there that tells you how you are literally duped into buying crap that you likely don't need or want.

That’s why TV is a fantastic medium for suggestion and for sales, because people are almost in a state of hypnosis. In fact, eye fixation is a classic way of inducing hypnosis. Even though the use of subliminal suggestions in advertising is somewhat illegal and frowned upon, the suggestions are there and are given in such subtle ways sometimes you might not even notice. They use sound, colour, and association to elicit emotional responses to the material being presented. Your unconscious mind picks up these messages and files them away. Remember, hypnosis is merely the unconscious acceptance of suggestion.

Be VERY aware when you go shopping!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Whether you know it or not. Whether you like it or not. Whether you believe it or not. You ARE influenced every day of your life by marketing and propaganda. Some more so than others, obviously.

Learn to analyze everything you see and hear. Shield your mind with your critical faculties.

Stop looking at it. Stop listening to it, as much as possible in your daily life.

This is the best advice i have seen in regards to resisting the effects of advertising here!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Exactly.

Although I have first graders, we examine commercials as part of a critical thinking lesson. At first they all want the item in question, but after we began to discuss it, and the kids start to "wonder" about it, that reaction goes down.

It's a more effective lesson with older kids, because younger children are very literal. But if we can teach our children to question everything at an early age, so much the better.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

I can't say that I've ever purchased anything based on an advertisement of any kind.. then again I can't be hypnotized either. When people stop questioning what capitalism spoon feeds then, we as a society are in big trouble.

People have already stopped questioning. And we are in big trouble as a society. You sound like an intelligent person to me. Anyone with average or above intelligence can be hypnotized, unless they have mental issues of some kind. It sounds more like you don't want to be. And there's nothing wrong with that.
I am not a board certified hypnotist by any means. But I have used hypnosis for many years as a tool for improvement.
The TV is the best hypnotist in the world. Too many people find themselves lulled into an alpha state of mind, and being programmed by it, who otherwise might not want to be hypnotized. But you're aware of that already.

One should also learn to recognize the language of Neural Linguistic Programming, that is also a form of "persuasive hypnosis". This article The Power of Hypnosis in Advertisement is just one of millions of links out there that tells you how you are literally duped into buying crap that you likely don't need or want.

That would be NEURO Linguistic Programming. And correct you are that it's a powerful tool. Unless one has studied it to some degree as I have, and sounds as though you have. It isn't easy to recognize.

Be VERY aware when you go shopping!

Be VERY aware when you go anywhere!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Smylee, that is so awesome! I can't tell you how cool it is that you do that for your students. Where were you when I was a student?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Having a DVR, I fast forward through all the commercials, and because of this feature, I prefer to record everything I watch.

On the other hand, I find packaging of products to be a whole different matter. I can be drawn to a particular product because of the way it looks on a shelf. Too bad, business knows this (all too well) to be a vulnerable weakness of the consumer. When we are unable to see what is inside (like food items) this is what most will go on.

It is rare that I will even take the time, in my busy day, to read the label, which I know I should.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

This is the best advice i have seen in regards to resisting the effects of advertising here!

Thanks for the kind words Daas. You recognize it, because you're already doing it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I do NOT listen to commercials, I do NOT watch commercials, I HATE commercials and computer and magazine advertising, a loathing beyond the words available.
And by the way, WHYyyyyyyyyis the word "sex" synonymous with young bimbos? I'm not a man, I'm not a lesbian, I'm not a strait man. Those aren't "sex" to me, they are bowling pins. Now if only I had a 3 ft tall 100 lb bowling ball,............

top topics

join