It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong media influence on election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
It has come to my attention, over the past few months, that George W Bush (GOP) and John Kerry (DEM) alike are being voted for/will be voted for by the vast majority for a reason which is hardly justified. Without a doubt, many vote for Bush or Kerry because they believe voting for any other candidate, such as Nader (Independent) or Badnarik (Liberal) would a waste of a vote. The reason for this thinking is, they have no chance to win the election.

In the most recent months, I have asked many who they would vote for (and of course why) in an effort to better educate myself on the different selections before I go to place my vote. Of the many who I have asked, most state they will be voting for either Bush or Kerry. When I ask them who they would vote for if each candidate had an equal chance at winning the election (as in, approximately 25% of the vote would be received by Bush, Kerry, Nader, Badnarik), their decision quickly changes to either Nader or Badnarik.

Which political party the majority of people I have "polled" feel most strongly about, I didn't ask. However, considering what I have learned from the information gathered, it seems most people don't actually support Bush or Kerry, but instead "just want their vote to count," regardless of what the candidate they have entrusted stands for. Regardless of whether or not that candidate represents them better than the others.

It is with little doubt that I conclude America truly is controlled by the media, as suggested in the song "American Idiot" by GreenDay. The polls which each of us see on television, hear on the radio, or read in the newspapers each day tell us who has a chance, and we base our vote on that data without knowing how accurate it is, for all we know they purposely poll Democrats a Republicans to a larger extent than Independents and Liberals. If the American people would set aside their need to "make their vote count" and vote for the candidate they are most enthusiastic about, we would each see a much different electoral situation. If we all voted for our favorite guy..that guy just might win the majority vote with ease.

EDIT: Changed title, as FredT suggested. Formerly "American Idiot."

[edit on 11/2/2004 by SkyFox2]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well the media controlls a big part of the elections because its a partisan media.
The reasons why there is a Republican or Democratic tendence in the USA has a long history I don't have a big knowlege of. I think of it like the poles of a magnet. Nothing goes in between. By the way Greenday uses the media just as much. They just use another market that is spread by the media.

Have a nice day

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
You think too much...

I asked around also, mainly to kids at my school who cant vote and i even asked a few strangers i met at a pizza place

People are influenced by the media.... if a star says so and so is better then they will vote for so and so...

so in short now im just rambling on

LOVE AND PEACE *pulls off dramatic pose*

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am quite concerned that nobody has an opinion on the subject. It is a matter of great importance and an issue which should be addressed, you can't refute that.

I have noticed time and time again members stating or implying their government has either wronged them in some way, or their electoral system does not perform it's goal effectively, yet this appears to be a non-issue to the community. I am baffled.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I received two replies while typing the above message. Anywho...

Yes, the media controls the masses, people do seem to vote for who another person tells them to, but I wasn't suggesting GreenDay didn't use their media to their advantage (they are a form of media in themselves, are they not?).

The average American (or all people) seem to be a follower, a conformist. They don't make up their own minds, but instead look at what one source tells them and bases their conclusions on what they have learned from that one person or organization. Perhaps it is this mind set that has caused the Americans not to look any further than the top two political parties in their nation in the first place.

Whatever the cause, it is not a wise one. If you wish to place your lives and prosperity in the hands of "the lesser of two evils" then you *have* wasted your vote. You have voted for a person who you can deal with, not a person who you feel most comfortable with. You have let the media and polling agencies decide the outcome, the American people themselves took little part in it. All the American people did was vote for who the different media outlets suggested might win..who the different media outlets like the most because they are being paid money by the larger campaigns out there, Nader doesn't pay FOX for air time, Bush and Kerry do though.

[edit on 11/2/2004 by SkyFox2]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Your baffied??

I'm baffled that you just titled this IDIOT AMERICA and you just posted that Badnarik was (liberal)

He's a LIBERTARIAN....

oh man, it's even more funnier when you end up burning yourself...

No offense...

[edit on 2-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Right, Libertarian. My wrong.

And by the way, I wasn't suggesting Americans are idiots by naming this topic "American Idiot." I named it that because the topic reminded me of the song, which I why I mentioned it in the original post.

So, talk stuff on me if you like, but I know by your lack of response to my words that in fact, you would be the American Idiot if it was one of us, I have not attacked anyone for their opinions or for a topic title, while you have. Once again, I am baffled..but this time because I can't believe a person would respond to a thread, attack someone, and have either no opinion or no knowledge of the subject being discussed.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyFox2
Right, Libertarian. My wrong.

And by the way, I wasn't suggesting Americans are idiots by naming this topic "American Idiot." I named it that because the topic reminded me of the song, which I why I mentioned it in the original post.

I know that... I've heard the song...

And I also that you weren't suggesting American's are idiots...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyFox2

That may be so, but your title suggests trolling and people may be getting tired of it. pehaps a title change would be in order to attract more notice ie: does the media controll the american voters etc etc.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I agree with the medias Bias.

Right now on CNN the ONLY people shown to be in the race are the big two and nader.

We (Libertarians) are on a lot more states ballots then Nader but are completly ignored.

The Big two know that we are a challange so they like to keep us OUT of the spotlight

top topics

join