Former Tucson Mayoral candidate handing out dozens of shotguns in Tucson

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Shaun McClusky, a former Tucson mayoral candidate said he plans to distribute free shotguns to Tucson residents living in high-crime areas.

He's testing a theory that more guns in an area will lead to lower crime and has allready recieved $12,000 in donations.

He said he’ll donate $205 the cost of a gun and a box of ammunition to individuals who want to use single-break-action shotguns that hold one shell. Provided they pass a background check and take a training class.

His idea is based on experiment proposed last month by Kyle Coplen, founder of the Armed Citizens Project who said he was gonna give away 20-gauge single shell shotguns to residents in dangerous parts of Houston.

If you dont know about the Armed Citizens Project this is the site.
www.armedcitizenproject.org...

The Armed Citizen Project is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to training and arming residents in mid-high crime areas with defensive shotguns, for free! In training and arming law-abiding residents, we are saturating neighborhoods with defensive weapons, and measuring the effect that a heavily armed society has on crime rates

Interesting idea giving away guns in high crime areas. Does more guns equal less crime,more crime or status quo?

link

Political gadfly Shaun McClusky has a new plan: He wants to hand out free shotguns in high-crime Tucson neighborhoods.

McClusky says the lucky recipients “will receive a cleaning kit, they’ll receive the shotgun, they’ll receive slugs, they’ll go through a background check and they’ll also go through the training class.”

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
"America! -SNIP- YEAH!!!" The song from Team America: World Police always comes to mind when I hear stories like this.
edit on 3/29/2013 by 3n19m470 because: the -SNIP- was supposed to be the F word

Edited to add:

I am a firm believer in the armed, And Trained, populace. It doesn't even matter as much as you would think, if a citizen can successfully take down a criminal... Because violent criminals are like electricity. They always take the path of least resistance. They will be more likely to avoid a person, or neighborhood of persons, if they know those persons are all armed to the teeth. They will go to the other neighborhoods where people are scared to death of the word gun. Easy pickins...
edit on 3/29/2013 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Interesting idea giving away guns in high crime areas. Does more guns equal less crime,more crime or status quo?

There have been studies, Also there are towns in america where it is city ordinance to own a firearm, of course they dont enforce it if you didnt buy one, but those towns do have a low crime rate. Kennesaw GA is one i can think of.

If backround checks are conducted, the new owners take the training they receive seriously, and they always use common sense and good judgement with their guns (as in not following our esteemed Vice Presidents advice), i highly doubt the crime rate will go up.

On the crime going down side, we may see a decline in home invasion and theft. Criminals will find the target rich environment just got smaller, and its always a gamble for them...do they or dont they have a gun?

It always comes down to the human factor with guns. Good discipline, good training, and good sense.

Cant always say humans are exemplary at this.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Depends on the crimes. I certainly don't see it increasing the crime rate, mainly because a shotgun isn't the first weapon a criminal is going to reach for. It is pretty difficult to conceal a shotgun. For the same reason, the shotguns won't exactly deter street crime because most people aren't going to walk around South Tucson with their PPD shotty rested on their shoulder. Home invasions, however, will almost certainly go down the first time some granny pops one of those little thugs in the head as he climbs in through a window after removing her air conditioner to gain access.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I have a little store in kcmo right in the hood , and at least 90% of the people that I see are allready packing.

So I think it will probably be status quo
edit on 29-3-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

He said he’ll donate $205 the cost of a gun and a box of ammunition to individuals who want to use single-break-action shotguns that hold one shell. Provided they pass a background check and take a training class.

Wait, wait just a moment.

That sounds like restrictions to me. Who the hell is he to say someone can have a gun or not. If he's giving them away free, but only upon a background check... sound suspiciously like a way to get the names of law abiding citizens and putting it on a list to me.

Something fishy about this. And at *THIS* time too... yeah, fishy indeed.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

sound suspiciously like a way to get the names of law abiding citizens and putting it on a list to me.

I don’t blame you for being suspicious (not at ALL) but I don’t think granny with a single shot 20ga is the type of person or weapon TPTB fear in America. They're more worried about the redneck Timothy McVeigh types...

...and the old crusty vets who don't put up with any BS....

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I can't be the only one who sees how stupid it is to give out free shotguns in a crime filled area...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

thats a big gun

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

thats a big gun

That's what SHE SAID!

Had to go there....sorry!

***Back on topic***

I think the gun give out is a slap in the face to schmucks like Blooberg et al who are taking away guns while other cities are giving them away free!

I love it!!!!

Maybe he should get with Bloomberg and work a deal...he could really cut costs!

edit on 29-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I think this armed citizen project is a great idea and I can see lots of chapters in our future

eta
I think I will go donate $20

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

I think this armed citizen project is a great idea and I can see lots of chapters in our future

Yes, I think if it's done correctly (which it appears to be in this case with background checks and training) we'll see some positive results. Any time you have an armed population it's Russian roulette for criminals. They don't know which door has a gun behind it. People say the Death Penalty isn't a deterent. I beg to differ! When you see the business end of a large gun pointed in your direction when you KNOW you're up to no good you'll change your mind rather quickly.

And for the record***

If anyone wants to give up any type of weapons (guns, knives, swords, bazookas, etc) I will gladly accept them. Just PM me with a description and I'll forward you my PO address for shipping...I'll pay the shipping fees.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

And for the record***

If anyone wants to give up any type of weapons (guns, knives, swords, bazookas, etc) I will gladly accept them. Just PM me with a description and I'll forward you my PO address for shipping...I'll pay the shipping fees.

I remember your Independent Study Proves Guns Don’t Kill People *Shocking Evidence thread so I know you would..

One of the best threads ever btw imo

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I have a little store in kcmo right in the hood , and at least 90% of the people that I see are allready packing.

So I think it will probably be status quo

kcmo? I lived in Tucson for almost 5 years and am not familliar with that part of town. A lot of folks in Tucson do have carry permits, but AZ law is fairly restrictive (at least compared with what I'm used to). You receive a CCW permit issued to a single weapon, by the weapon's serial number, and you have to pass a rigorous testing sequence to receive it. It has the image of the old west, but in reality there aren't as many people carrying as you'd first expect.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

sry KCMO= Kansas city missouri

new topics
top topics

join