It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rangers Kill 3 Suspected Rhino Poachers In South Africa's Kruger National Park

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Rangers Kill Suspected Rhino Poachers In South Africa's Kruger National Park

www.huffingtonpost.com...
March 28, 2013

JOHANNESBURG, March 28 (Reuters) - Three suspected rhinoceros poachers were killed in a shoot-out with rangers in South Africa's Kruger National Park, a park official said on Thursday.

The killing of rhinos for their horns, worth more than their weight in gold, is rampant in the park. So far this year, 188 rhinos have been poached in South Africa, 135 in Kruger alone, according to government figures released this week.

"Our rangers were on patrol and they came across these suspected poachers. Shooting ensued and the three were fatally wounded," said Kruger spokesman William Mabasa.

Mozambique borders Kruger and many of the poachers stalking rhino in park are drawn from its poor villages. They are usually heavily armed and are paid by organised crime syndicates, according to police and conservationists.

All I have to say is..."Go Go Power Rangers!"

Although poachers know this to be an illegal practice, I am glad that the rangers did their duty to preserve the wild.

Good documentary to watch on Rhino Poaching (some graphic images)

edit on 29-3-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: added news video

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Good on them Powerrangers. Blow the scumbags away.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Glad those rangers sent those bastards to go take dirt naps. Next up are the buyers that fuel the demand for the slaughtering of these magnificent creatures.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Good on them.

We can't let those precious creatures go extinct just because some chinese guy wants a longer erection

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Shame they didn't cut their Boll***ks off with the same chainsaw that they used to cut the Rhinos horns off with!

They got what they deserved for trying to gain big money quickly and illegaly...

I worked closely for many years with a collaborator at Kruger whilst on a campaign to artificially inseminate Gorillas for conservation reasons and he was there for over 5 years, they were sh*t scared every day because those poachers were armed up to the teeth with AK47s and thought nothing of shooting any one who happened to be patrolling the area (wheteher it be a guard or a worker from the park). And all of that to pursue Chinese traditions that powdered Rhino horn gives you a decent hard on!!!!!

The human being is the most despicable living entity that ever set foot on this planet!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The dead poachers knew the risk they were taking,at a despicable job.But you can kill a 1000 poachers today,tomorrrow there will be another 1000 in their place-the demand,the market for horn and tusk,is what needs to be killed-the syndicates funding the poaching operations needs to be found-and dealt with.

Africa is home to a lot of extremely poor people,unemployed people-very easy to convince a man who faces hunger to do something he may never have considered- if only
he had another option.The syndicates know this too-they exploit+vampirise not just Africa's heritage-they exploit the very human need to put food on the table-There are no words for that level of despicable.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DO THAT TO A RHINO!!!???
Im glad they got shot. This should happen to ALL the Poachers of the world.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
They won't understand there actions until there are none left. Same with our oceans. This planet can and will heal, if we give her a chance.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
nice one rangers i hope they pulled out the teeth and left them there for the others to find

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Good on them.

We can't let those precious creatures go extinct just because some chinese guy wants a longer erection

Interesting comment.
I know it is not only the Chinese culture that use's Rhino Horns many others do to include the African Culture.
Maybe you could rephrase your statement a little and not accuse one culture and be more truthful.

The practice of killing these animals is just awful and I believe the Poachers got exactly what they deserved, death.
edit on 29-3-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I hope they didn't have families.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Three cheers for the rangers!! Somebody needs to go after the buyers and sellers of Rhino horn as well.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Good on them.

According to Bernard Read’s 1931 translation of Li Shih-chen’s 1597 materia medica Pen Ts’ ao Kang Mu, rhino horn was prescribed for nearly everything: “To cure devil possession and keep away all evil spirits and miasmas. For gelsemium poisoning. To remove hallucinations and bewitching nightmares. Continuous administration lightens the body and makes one very robust. For typhoid, headache and feverish colds. For carbuncles and boils full of pus. For intermittent fevers with delirium. To expel fear and anxiety, to calm the liver and clear the vision. It is a sedative to the viscera, a tonic, antipyretic. It dissolves phlegm. It is an antidote to the evil miasma of hill streams. For infantile convulsions and dysentery. Ashed and taken with water to treat violent vomiting, food poisoning, and overdosage of poisonous drugs. For arthritis, melancholia, loss of the voice.” Ironically, it seems the only condition rhino horn is not prescribed for is a lagging libido.

newswatch.nationalgeographic.com...

muse7, you understand what a Lagging Libido means?
I know even in my Traditional Medicine books and university notes, Rhino Horn was not mentioned as a cure or treatment for the Loss of Male Libido.
Sea Horse, Sea Cucumber and other natural things but not Rhino Horns.

In the Middle Eastern country of Yemen, the horn continues to be coveted by Muslim men, although imports were banned in 1982. The material, whose luster increases with age, is used for the handles of curved daggers called “jambiya,” which are presented to Yemeni boys at age 12. Jambiya are considered a sign of manhood and devotion to the Muslim religion, and are used for personal defense. Yemeni men place great value on the dagger handles, which are commonly studded with jewels. In China, the ornamental use of rhino horn dates back to at least the 7th century AD. Over the centuries, rhino horns have been carved into ceremonial cups, as well as buttons, belt buckles, hair pins, and paperweights.

Not many Muslims in China, Some Yes, about as many Catholics.

Far more pervasive, however, is their use in the traditional medicine systems of many Asian countries, from Malaysia and South Korea to India and China, to cure a variety of ailments. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the horn, which is shaved or ground into a powder and dissolved in boiling water, is used to treat fever, rheumatism, gout, and other disorders. According to the 16th century Chinese pharmacist Li Shi Chen, the horn could also cure snakebites, hallucinations, typhoid, headaches, carbuncles, vomiting, food poisoning, and “devil possession.” (However, it is not, as commonly believed, prescribed as an aphrodisiac).

www.pbs.org...
Very, Very Sad, the killing of just a Great Animal.
Here is a disclaimer, I use mostly Sea Creatures that are abundant and nature's own, such as plants and some insects.

OP S&F.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Good!
I hope they died slowly.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

And had their noses cut off too. These people are wiping out endangered species. I have no pity for them whatsoever. I hope the Rangers get a fat bonus. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I agree, we need much much more of this

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Suspected poachers. A lot can be hidden in an alleged confrontation like this, such as getting rid of enemies and murder. Don't know what everyone's cheering about.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

We are cheering on the eradication of the bottomfeeders that continue to rape the protected wildlife of this planet.

Just so you know.
~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Hey there Unity99,you are one of the ATS members i like+respect most,from reading your replies to threads-but about this,you're wrong.These poachers of rhino and elephant are normally heavily armed,these skirmishes are mini-wars,as you can see in the video i posted,these are hectic situations-and in the video it was only an unarmed antelope poacher they encountered,one of the "little guys" poaching for meatThere's no room for personal vendettas here.These can very rapidly turn into hectic life-and-death battles,the rangers are not snipers stationed through-out the bush-going "Ohh look there goes Sipho-man,i Hate that m-f! Lemme shoot him,put a gun+chainsaw in his hand+say he was poaching horn/tusk.OWNED!"

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Go, go Rangers. Makes me feel like buying a hot-air balloon and a high powered sniper rifle and join them.

You'd be suprised how many SA'cans would joing if given the oppertunity. As I understand they have enlisted the help of a handfull of retired rangers to share some old school tactics.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<<   2 >>

join