It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“C183 Firearm”?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I'm not sure if anyone else caught this detail from the NY Times article about Adam Lanza:

The holiday card to Mr. Lanza from his mother contained a check that specified that the money was to buy a “C183 (Firearm),” the documents say.

New York Times

What is a C183? Well, I did a few searches and found no guns, but I did find quite a few of these:

I tried for about 10 minutes to find any kind of gun that had the C183 designation. I've never heard of it, and apparently I'm not the only one:

What is a C183? I have never heard of a firearm by this model. It is a 14 megapixel camera. Did some uninformed journalist see C183 and just assume it was a gun? I have seen multiple cable news reporters repeating this same mistake and I’ve never heard of any gun by this model name

beforeitsnews

I know, I know ... it's beforeitsnews.com, but they do offer an explanation:

Most likely it is a reference to a CZ-USA Cz83 Pistol

I really haven't found anyone else besides "that conspiracy board that shall not
be named" discussing this. If it really is a Cz83, that speaks volumes to the reporting accuracy of our media.

Can anyone else that is more knowledgable about firearms help out? Does such a weapon exist? If not, what is your opinion on this "accident" via the MSM?

The New York Times isn't the only MSM to report the same thing:
This CNN article also talks about the "C183".

If this really is a failure of our MSM and not a conspiracy, then it's an entire discussion unto itself.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I doubt it's a cz-83, they've been out of production for many, many moons.

You can still buy the 83 and the 82 used, but it's not something you can just pick up anywhere.

And yes, it does exist. I own two cz-82's which the 83 is the civilian version of. The cz-83 cam in .32, .380, and 9mm. The cz-82 comes in 9x18 makarov.

ETA - Sorry, for some reason I thought the cz-83 had been discontinued for awhile, but apparently it was in production until 2012. Still, they aren't something you see at every gun store.
edit on 29-3-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Good boy for digging for the possible, I waz gonna say the CZ-83.
Not a bad gun at all imho....lol IMEO I meant!
It is on my list of to get guns, just not towards the top, somewhere just below a Hi Point.

(Edit)
Just to be clear, this whole sandy hook debacle has been just that.
Whether intentional or by accident, there sure are a lot of conflicts.
Even my non conspiracy believing wife and friends say so.
Something smells fishy.
edit on 29-3-2013 by g146541 because: is that cod or tilapia??

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I'm getting sick of the so called journalists. After two days since this story broke, both the left and right leaning MSM are still reporting errors as facts.

What was that saying? Oh, yea...

Keep repeating the lie...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
No subject is reported on with as much disregard for fact checking and research as firearms.

It's like there's some standing order in journalism, and even in a lot of police departments, to avoid information as much as humanly possible when firearms are involved.

There is no shortage of experts out there. No shortage of literature or research. It's just that nobody wants to hear it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Good boy for digging for the possible, I waz gonna say the CZ-83.
Not a bad gun at all imho....lol IMEO I meant!
It is on my list of to get guns, just not towards the top, somewhere just below a Hi Point.

(Edit)
Just to be clear, this whole sandy hook debacle has been just that.
Whether intentional or by accident, there sure are a lot of conflicts.
Even my non conspiracy believing wife and friends say so.
Something smells fishy.
edit on 29-3-2013 by g146541 because: is that cod or tilapia??

Multiple media sources are claiming it could be the CZ-83. I find it odd that Lanza's mother would specify a camera by model number, rather that say something like "Kodak camera."

Really, a Hi-Point before a CZ-83? What are you smoking man! I own two milsurp CZ-82's and they are far better shooters than many of my more expensive guns. They are inexpensive to purchase and are based on a simple blowback design that makes them super reliable and easy to maintain. CZs have a reputation for quality, and are all steel. The Hi-Point is based on a polymer frame and sub-standard steel for the slide.

I got nothing against Hi-Point but choosing a Hi-Point over a CZ is insane in my opinion!

Sorry, I just tried to sell you a CZ! Also sorry for the off topic commentary.

i.imgur.com...

VS

i.imgur.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I hear ya but...
I'm more of a German/Austrian engineering type H&K, Sig, Glock.
But after that anything goes.
The Hi-Point being first is simply because it's made in the US is all.
I don't quite think sub standard when I think of Hi-Point though Iraqveteran8888 (Youtube) did a nice review series on the c9 pistol a year or two back and the tortured the crap out of the pistol.
That being said, clunky and lunky does come to mind.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well it could be a case of a custom built AR15 or other weapon. Just take a look at AR15.Com. www.ar15.com...

Now how about a picture? And Take a look at this.

For some reason this user on AR15.com has this custom built weapon in a album c183.

top topics

join