It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar plane plans stops in Phoenix, Dallas, NYC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I thought this Solar plane would be a cool sight to see.
I don't live anywhere near where the plane will make a stop on it's cross country trip, so I put up this thread ,
with the hopes that a few of ATS'ers might be able to get to one of the stops to check it out.
Then they could give us a first hand review of it.
Maybe some picks or even a video too

Solar plane plans stops in Phoenix, Dallas, NYC

xfinity.comcast.net...

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) — A solar-powered plane that has wowed aviation fans in Europe is set to travel across the United States with stops in Phoenix, Dallas, Washington, D.C., and New York, organizers of the trip announced Thursday.

The plane, Solar Impulse, is expected to be ready to leave from NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, Calif. on May 1, although the actual departure will depend on the weather, the plane's Swiss creators said at a news conference at the NASA center

(contiue..)
xfinity.comcast.net...

It can travel up to 40 mph, can't travel through clouds and would not do well in bad weather but I do think It may be a step toward flying cars.

edit on 29-3-2013 by azureskys because: spelling

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
A step toward flying cars no I don't think so but drones that can stay up in the air longer yes.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Man you just bummed me out

Allthough since they will fill the skys with drones anyway it might as well b cost efficent. Right ?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Solar planes have been imagined for staying in the air long term for communications relays, and to observe areas for long periods of time to watch for changes. This would be good for places like Afghanistan, or other combat areas, to watch for IED placement.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Thanks for this. Might drag the kids out to see it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

I hope you do so you can let us know what it's about.
Don't forget the camera

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Wiki page on Solar Impulse

And lots of images on the 'net but ATS doesn't like the google link

edit on 29-3-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Thank you but the one shown at my source link xfinity.comcast.net...
shows a plane very different in appearence than those on wiki.link
New and improved I think those are old school LOL

The Solar Impulse is powered by about 12,000 photovoltaic cells that cover massive wings and charge its batteries, allowing it to fly day and night without jet fuel. It has the wing span of a commercial airplane but the weight of the average family car, making it vulnerable to bad weather.

xfinity.comcast.net...
edit on 29-3-2013 by azureskys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I couldn't find anything on their site about actual appearance dates/locations... Perhaps someone has better google-fu?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

The actual times and dates, all depend on weather conditions, as the plane is very sensitive.
It will be necessary to contact the air field of your choice for info.
You know how unpredictable the weather is of late.

The schedule of the Solar Impulse Across America mission is as follows:

•Beginning May 1st/First leg: San Francisco/Moffett Airfield - Phoenix/Sky Harbor
•Mid May/Second leg: Phoenix/Sky Harbor - Dallas/Fort Worth
•End May - early June/Third leg: Dallas/Fort Worth - stopover city (Atlanta, Georgia or St. Louis, Missouri – to be determined)
•Mid June/Fourth leg: stopover city - Washington DC/Dulles
•Early July/Fifth and last leg: Washington DC/Dulles - New York/JFK

www.gizmag.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Thanks. On the site it mentioned they planned to be stopping at several local airports between each leg. I was hoping for a better idea of when/where. Hopefully we'll hear something as the voyage gets closer

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

May 1st is the first schedualed take-off date, from Moffett Airfield in San Fransisco, if weather permits.
Solar Impulse aircraft only carries 1 person, the pilot, André Borschberg who is a cofounder of the plane.

I will keep looking for more info. of the Airfields and projected dates.

Here is the Solar Impulse offical web site link : www.solarimpulse.com...

The plane will be running test flights in the San Francisco Bay Area through-out the month of April.
edit on 2-4-2013 by azureskys because: added more

So far all I can find is take off and last stop.which is at New York's Kennedy Airport in early July.

Most ofthe news articles and their own site only mention cooperation
with the projected cities International Airports as stopping points.
edit on 2-4-2013 by azureskys because: added more

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yeah, somewhere on the actual site I had read that at each stop, they would visit a few sites locally. So, in theory, a few smaller airports in the metro areas of Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, St. Louis and DC would get a visit. Hopefully, we get a better itinerary as we get closer. haha

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well it made it to Phoenix early this morning, Saturday May 4th, and will be there for viewing for 10 days,
as it will for each stop on it's trip across the U.S.

I hope one of you gets to go see it.

xfinity.comcast.net...

Solar plane lands in Ariz., 1st leg of major trip

He's flying Solar Impulse, considered the world's most advanced sun-powered plane.

Piccard piloted the craft for 20 hours, first cruising along the California coast after taking off from Moffett Field in Mountain View near San Francisco just after dawn Friday. He passed over Edwards Air Force Base, where other aviation milestones have been made, and then touched down early Saturday morning at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.

He landed having used only three-quarters of the plane's battery power.

"It's a little bit like being in a dream," Piccard said as he stepped on the tarmac.

The plane's creators, Piccard and fellow pilot Andre Borschberg, said the trip is the first attempt by a solar airplane capable of flying day and night without fuel to fly across America.

and.

The plane, which has previously impressed audiences in Europe, is powered by about 12,000 photovoltaic cells that cover massive wings and charge its batteries.

Read more at: xfinity.comcast.net...
edit on 4-5-2013 by azureskys because: changed format

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
There is a photo of the Solar Plane at this link:

xfinity.comcast.net...

The craft looks like it would be a blast to fly in.

Any one in the Phoenix area that might be able to get to the air field to see it live?

top topics

join