It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMF suggests US add $1.40 a gallon gas tax

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Well isn't this a nice coincidence. Just when the amount of gas we were using was going down because of people starting to use hybrids now they want to do this. This is one area where the government really screws the people over more than the companies. More people need to switch to hybrids or full electric. This way we can screw both of them at the same time.

it won't matter, they will find a way to charge you more for the electricity to charge your electric car.... and gasoline?....there is less being used in the US, but the price continues to go up...it simply doesn't matter. gasoline prices are not based on supply, they are based on what is the most that can be charged, without people getting so mad that the feds step in and take some punitive action.
there are too few refineries, owned by too few oil corporations for any type of competition to step in, that ship sailed along time ago. the only thing that still scares them is federal legislation and that is almost a thing of the past, too.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

$10.49 a gallon.........(£1.36x4.54x1.7)

The tax on our fuel is more than the cost of the fuel once you add VAT. I think it lands, refined at about 40p a litre...the other £0.96p is tax and VAT.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
When living in the states, I noticed how different are the views of people about using cars in Europe and the States.

I am honest, as far as I saw, Americans use cars too much generally. I do not speak of all Americans, simply some % of them. I saw people using cars in order to go to a place 400 feet away. Even taking half a mile trips sound ridiculous, why waste gas? When people can afford to waste so much gas, it is simply too cheap

As gas prices are high, I never use car unless I have to travel 5+ miles. When the trip is up to 2 miles, I always walk. 2-5 miles= usually bike. It is healthier + it is better for the nature+ I am always in extremely good shape

One thing I really disliked in the area I lived in USA (I do not know about other areas) , was the overall aggressiveness against bicycle drivers. I got lots of negative commentaries and insults because I was driving a bicycle... There were basically no bicycle roads in that area and the pedestrian roads were usually covered with sprinklers to keep grass green. Riding there was like being under rain in a sunny weather. To be honest, during these 4 months, I saw nearly no bicycle riding adults, except yehova witnesses and a few people trying to get in shape, although the amount of them was significantly low. Overally I felt extremely endangered as riding a bike.

I understand people who truly need to go through large distances daily, although using cars for shorter trips, as many people do, is simply ridiculous. I personally bicycled every day back and forth to work, seeing many people who lived much closer always taking a car... ( it was around 4 miles away)

Some people have brought examples of Middle East. Why are you comparing third-world countries to USA and want one of the most powerful countries in the world take example from 3rd-world countries? In such case the wages should also be set similar

edit on 29-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Give Obama control of the House as well as the Senate, and he will make sure "energy prices are necessarily higher' just as he promised. He is doing pretty well with that as it is.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Taxes, taxes, taxes, we're being taxed to death. Everywhere you turn we're being slapped with a tax. You can't even die in peace without being taxed. Instead, the government needs to find other ways to generate income, not on the backs of hard working Americans.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
How's about we tell the IMF that they should impose the equivalent of that $1.40 to the rest of the world's purchases?

We use more in volume than anyone, and we should be getting a substantial discount.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I just went from a tiny car to an SUV!

My old Toyota Echo used to get 35mpg...now I get around 20mpg

If gas goes that high, it looks like I'll be riding the bus. I guess no road trips this summer.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

You are correct, most of our roads are not set up for bicycles. Most of our cities (especially west of the rust belt / northeast) had their boom during the automobile age, so they are set up for cars. This is not true in Europe.

People here in the states should learn to combine their trips when they go out so that less miles are driven and less gas is used, because this idea of going after gasoline to tax it is only the start of the assault on our financial stability. Save money where you can!

I can see this gasoline tax getting to the point where they can convince people that Agenda 21 is the way to go.....everybody crammed into cities, where everything is centralized, and people are not allowed to hang out in the country. Whatever they can do to force this issue, they're going to do. This is only the beginning.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
i got plenty of gas they can have free of charge.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It doesn't work. All it does is add to inflation. I can't believe the price of goods today compared to last year and it is directly attributed to the price of gas.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I've tried telling people they should tell politicians to feck off with their carbon footprint energy efficient bullcrap, but all they do is regurgitate the same old drivel about "man made global warming" and "saving the planet".

The only reason politicians are banging on about carbon is so that they can justify tax hikes like this.

People are idiots.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I just went from a tiny car to an SUV!

My old Toyota Echo used to get 35mpg...now I get around 20mpg

If gas goes that high, it looks like I'll be riding the bus. I guess no road trips this summer.

LoL that's what our politicians over here tell us, that we should use public transport.

Well my wife took herself and 3 kids under 12 on the bus about 4 miles down the road and it cost £15 for return tickets!

That's almost $23!

It was in the evening, off peak - how the heck can anyone AFFORD to use public transport, it's more expensive than driving your own car!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
Sorry, what's the International MONETARY Fund doing advising on ecological matters?

Oh yeah: the US isn't hat-in-hand begging for money from them (yet). Now it makes sense.

Thats the rub right there...

The IMF is not advising the US Banksters to apply a bail-in on savers deposits, Instead they are advising the Govt to raise revenue from increased gasolene prices. The money will go to the IMF just as if it was raised from a banks bail-in.

sneaky but effective

PEACE,
RK
edit on 30-3-2013 by Rigel Kent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Petrol in the UK is currently $8.30/US gallon (your gallons are smaller than ours). Our diesel- and half of the cars in the UK now are diesel- is more expensive, and the 2nd dearest in the world behind Norway (ironically a nation that gets most of it's wealth from oil) at $8.60/US gallon.

Needless to say we don't drive around in big V8s!

Actually, whilst typing this in my van (I'm at work) I've just noticed I'm parked next to an old 500ci Caddy!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Only $1.40 ? The IMF can add 5.00 per gallon if they wish, and i encourage them to do so. yes, we need the highest gas prices possible and we needed it yesterday. How else can we force a move away from the evil stuff unless people demand it due to high gas prices.

I'd outlaw all cars that use the stuff.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I have a good feeling if gas takes a leap like this we will be looking at an era in crime similar to alcohol prohibition.
Gas stations and trucks will be robbed and stolen. Drivers killed, etc. Makes for interesting times I suppose.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dymiox
I have a good feeling if gas takes a leap like this we will be looking at an era in crime similar to alcohol prohibition.
Gas stations and trucks will be robbed and stolen. Drivers killed, etc. Makes for interesting times I suppose.

If anything like that would happen would simply show the stupidity of people. I truly do not believe people can be that stupid.

I have seen gas prices growing for ages round here. Every year, couple of years, the taxes are risen. It does not affect the crime rates at all. People simply start using less SUVs, Trucks, Sports Cars. To be honest, I do not know anybody with a truck. Even SUVs are quite rare and usually driven by people with higher income, as these usually take more gasoline. Most people drive simple cars that do not take extreme amounts of gasoline.Most popular cars are Toyota, Skoda,Volkswagen, Volvo. Also people try to the use less cars in order to save up... Overally more positive attitude towards driving in my opinion.

To be honest, I do not see any reason why any person with a rational mind (unless living in mountains) would ever have the need to buy Hummer, SUV or any sports car, these are unpractical, cost a lot and take huge amounts of gas. I love the laws that tax the car prices here based on their gasoline intake. More gasoline needed=much higher price.

Wasting anything should be punished. It is not our right to simply waste natural resources, because we can. Most natural resources, like nafta, are not infite and will run out eventually.
edit on 30-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dymiox

That's already happening here and yes our gas prices are over $5/gal.

www.torontosun.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Seriously, WTF is the IMF?

The IMF is mostly the US government and Central Europe (G7). That is why China and Russia and other emergent nations are starting a new organization. I never understood why Americans criticize organizations that are mostly run by your own government is it simply lack of information or is there a real propaganda program that shows the organizations as being anti-American ?

Learn a bit how the organizations came to be and how they have worked (their history)...

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
You have not paid for petrol until you have paid UK price's, the UK government take's a massive tax cut out of it anyway and there is the downside that the more charge's you place on transport the more good's cost in the shop's as a knock on effect, lowering not raising transportation cost's FOR DOMESTIC manufactured good's and normal internal persons transportation (making it economically viable to commute longer distance's) are the key to boosting the internal production and retail sectors' both there in the USA and here in Britain but we in Britain have other problem's, EU Problem's. All the IMF are interested in is driving Economy's under so they can mortgage them for long term profit on the interest that those country's pay and so there interested party's can make a killing on asset's, land and resource's in those country's when they turn the financial flow back on and if the government's were not a bunch of spineless weasel's that could be done now by taking over the IMF.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join