It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rimfire and Center Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I am curious whats the difference between them?
went to gun show and was looking at rifles

and the ones that are semi automatic are rim-fire
and those that are single shot are center-fire (so you can get a beret sniper rifle which is center fire)

whats the difference between the two types of ammunition?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I guess your Google is broken?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

I missed these sarcastic replies on ATS

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
im not sure, im guessing one fires from the rim and the other from the center.

truly if you have to ask a question like this you dont need to own a gun. i knew the difference when i was probable still in dippers.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NISMOALTI

That's a fairly ignorant thing to say. Being a safe and responsible gun owner has nothing to do with knowing the intricate details to how the gun and ammo works.

Nothing wrong with a person looking to expand their knowledge.

Heck, you say right off the bat that you aren't sure about the difference. Yet then go on to say that you have known since you were in dippers (diapers I know.) So what one is it?
edit on 28-3-2013 by Midyew because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I don't actually own a gun or intend to own a Gun
I am airsofter

Airsoft show was next to a real gun show and I got talking to the exhibitors and they told the legalities of firearms in the UK.

we aren't really brought up to use guns here

didn't cross my mind to ask the difference, i know how centerfire works,
but looking at rim-fire i was wondering how it actually ignited the projectile without having something for the striker to hit

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Midyew

That's a fairly ignorant thing to say. Being a safe and responsible gun owner has nothing to do with knowing the intricate details to how the gun and ammo works.

Nothing wrong with a person looking to expand their knowledge.

ok this is true, i guess things i learned way back then i would consider general knowledge. you are right you got to start some where. so with saying that there was a time i didnt know either.

rime fire is fired by being struck around the rim and it is not re loadable. its normally cheaper ammo but in smaller calibers

center fire is shot from a primer in the center. its re loadable and cost a lil more.

thats the basics of it...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
I am curious whats the difference between them?
went to gun show and was looking at rifles

and the ones that are semi automatic are rim-fire
and those that are single shot are center-fire (so you can get a beret sniper rifle which is center fire)

whats the difference between the two types of ammunition?

Rimfire has the primer inside the rim of the case the striker hits the rim of the case hence the name Rimfire, they've been around longer than centerfire. Rimfire is mostly smaller caliber bullets used for varmit hunting and plinking beer cans out to 150 yards .

Centerfire has a primer separate from the case that basically does the same thing as rimfire when struck with firing pin but centerfire is much more reliable and usually more expensive too. If your looking for a cheap, inexpensive plinker or for hunting small game like squirrels go with rimfire. If you want to target shoot 1000 yards or hunt deer, elk, moose etc then you will need a centerfire.

Most important thing before buying any firearm is take a Gun Safety Course by an NRA Certified Instructor and learn how to properly handle, store and fire and clean a gun safely. And once that is complete and if you do buy a firearm ALWAYS treat a gun as if it were loaded even if you know its not loaded DO NOT point the gun at something your not willing to destroy, never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire and know your target and what is behind the target. Gun ownership is not for everyone and carries with it a lot of responsibility and adherence to federal, state and local laws is a must and is your responsibility to research and keep researching after ownership because the laws are always changing especially now. Be safe and good luck.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

yes the primer in a rim fire is on the inside of the shell. when struck by the hammer it ignites the internal primer, which ignites the powder.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Rimfire is usually found in .22's, .17 HMR, and the generally smaller calibers. The rim of the case is struck, resulting in ignition and the firing of the bullet. Rimfire is generally cheaper than centerfire.

Centerfire is the most common type of ammunition out there. 9mm, .45acp, .223, ect...Lots and lots use centerfire. Basically, after you pull the trigger, the firing pin is pushed forward and into the primer, resulting in an explosion and expansion of gases, sending the bullet forward. Brass case centerfire can be easily reloaded, and I think maybe another type can be to. Ive heard Steel case ammo cannot be reloaded, but Ive also heard you can reload it, but it is very very difficult and not really cost effective because of so much extra time and effort spent. (Steel case is generally cheaper than brass also)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Center fire has the primer in the center of the shell. (looks like a silver or gold button on the bottom of the cartridge.
Rimfire has no noticeable primer on the bottom.
Something to note: there are very few rimfire cartridges and almost all of them are 22 caliber.
22 short 22 long 22 long rifle 22 mag, I also know of what is basically a necked down 22 shell that is a .17 caliber but cannot remember what the name of it is.
So, other than 22's almost every thing else is a centerfire.
(Edit)
Cheers to buni11687, the .17 mentioned above is the .17HMR.
edit on 28-3-2013 by g146541 because: hmr

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

The primer is similar to a strike anywhere match head and when it is in its liquid form is spun into the casing.
When the firing pin strikes the shell rim, the rim pinches in that area and ignites.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Steel can be reloaded but it has a protective coating on it to prevent seizures and reloading will scar this and it will DRASTICALLY reduce the life of your dies.
No coating, the shell could seize in your gun or reloading dies.

It can be done, HOWEVER... it would be a cold hard day in hell before I did this though.

top topics

join