It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would the world be like if...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
When thinking about this question, I base it on life here in the United States. But it is something that anyone in any country can think about I suppose. What do you think the world would be like if murder wasn't illegal (or a sin)? Do you think we would all be a bit nicer to eachother in fear that we may anger someone and they would take our life? Or would our animalistic instincts have kicked in and we would have never made it this far?
edit on 28-3-2013 by PassedKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think that there are many psycopaths that havent killed because of the risk of prison.
I just dont see this being a safer option atall imo.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Lewman makes a good point, there are many people still alive only because it would be too inconvenient to kill them.

Then again, it wasn't too long ago that one could easily take the law into their own hands and dispense justice as they saw fit. And we still made it to where we are today, where pretty much everything is now illegal.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
well what would drive someone to murder another being besides some type of psychological condition which is uncontrollable?

the answer to 99 percent of the worlds problems is........MONEY.

IMO...

"Every evil, harm and suffering in this life comes from the love of riches"

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld
well what would drive someone to murder another being besides some type of psychological condition which is uncontrollable?

IMO...

What about crimes of passion? "Normal" (what is normal anyway?) people who walk in on their spouses cheating, or whatever scenario you want to replace this with, and beat someone to death?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

Those people who kill out of passion still kill. The "law" doesn't stop them. They just end up in prison or on death row. OR if they have a good lawyer they get to do it again until they can no longer afford their lawyers. Or until they make a mistake and get caught.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PassedKarma

IMO...

What about crimes of passion? "Normal" (what is normal anyway?) people who walk in on their spouses cheating, or whatever scenario you want to replace this with, and beat someone to death?

well normal doesn't exist, it "changes" with time. (normal is based on popularity)
well, we live in a society that has taught us that having more than one significant other or lover or bf etc... is wrong.
killing is "normal" when at war. why is it a wrong thing to do when NOT at war?

just a cool video i thought about when having this conversation with you....

the video i posted above isn't the one i meant to post. that one is also awesome and has some type of relevance to this so i wont edit it out....heres the one i meant to post....

the point im trying to make is....."death" is a human constructed term. what if death was just part of evolution? why are people so scared to die? it's inevitable, so why so much fear of dying? IMO our society made us afraid of death, that's how you control the human race, VIA fear. excuse the edits.

edit on 28-3-2013 by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld

I really enjoyed the video! Thank you

I just saw your edit.... I'll have to watch the second one lol
edit on 28-3-2013 by PassedKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
besides, were stuck in a world where 20,000 CHILDREN die each day from poverty and preventable diseases every day, in a world where we are just consumers and are lives are shaped by a hand full of people, in a world in which is at war with itself....
GIVE ME DEATH! lmao...
you get the point. your thread made me want to troll a lot. hahah

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

the point im trying to make is....."death" is a human constructed term.

Well, that is not really a point, is it. More a statement of fact. In fact, EVERY word is a human constructed term.

Death is not some nebulous concept, giving way to interpretation, such as evolution. When we die, it is the physical end of the chemical and electrical reactions that animate the meat and bones we call a body.

Or in less specific terms, it is the cessation of life. Any life.

Why the metaphysical concerns... human constructs, evolution, death is a new beginning... god cries..

When we die, this life ends. It doesn't move to a new level, with powerups and bigger things. We die.

Or where do people come from, this thing that evolves to a new stage? Is there a reservoir of energy that leaks into the flesh, only to struggle until expiration, and then something else?

Death is a certainty. For everything. Not simply a concept.

To the OP, ancient times had very harsh rules. A life for a life. And it was the basis of what formed modern law. I think what we have developed, is not a desire to keep people alive - more that we realise that the potential in life is more important than actions committed under duress, or in suffering.

If someone plans to commit a crime heinous enough to warrant their death, we way that into the facts. Intent.

At least in most places, the death penalty relies on that.

The potential of a persons life. In all but abortion is it the first consideration.

new topics

top topics

join