It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea orders rockets on standby to hit US bases

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

It also becomes a potential embarrassment for them. If they have to move a division in to secure the border, and it doesn't go well (I've heard a few reports that some of their division moves have been disastrous in the past) then they look weak to anyone watching. So no matter how they handle it, it's not going to be pretty. If they look weak, the slaughter gets 10x worse, if they don't, they just slaughter most of the incoming refugees.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I fear it has become a big game of chicken now, NK is saying we will do it, the US appears to be saying go on and see what happens.
I just hope the NK's back down first

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
It may just be saber rattling and rhetoric, but the danger is that somewhere there could be a miscalculation and if the shooting starts, a lot of people are going to die who have nothing to do or say about it. So even though their intention is to just have a big bark, if some artillery unit decides to fire a salvo, it could start a nuclear war. And it may not stay confined to that area. Once missiles start flying, the potential for miscalculation could escalate in all the trouble spots around the world. We are in a very dangerous period, hopefully the politicians in charge realize it. I would be more worried about this situation than gay marriage right now if I was president.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

No, that isn't how global wars start. This will remain a regional conflict. Even if NK does fire off a nuke, and by some miracle it gets through and detonates, US, UN, and SK forces will NOT use nukes in retaliation...mostly for fear of ticking off the neighbors, and for taking the political high road. Why would we squander that opportunity? We wouldn't.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Anyone who thinks North Korea is anything more then a lousy 'leader' with a handful of 'baby toys' is naive and foolish. Anything they attempt will be met with much harsher retaliation. China won't start another World War over a tiny little country with a big-talking fool for a leader. Most of the world will watch as North Korea burns if they attempt ANYTHING directly at the United States.

I feel pity for the people of North Korea. They have to live with an inexperienced threat-monger and there's nothing they can do with it.

If you don't think the US has a few 'surprises' up our sleeves then you are sorely mistaken.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Shadys321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadys321

It's not difficult to know what those "surprises" are...the real trick though is, is this conflict worth showing our hand? The fallout from publicly revealing some of these things could be worse than giving in to NK.... You can bet that is always going to be weighed by the military commanders.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I couldn't agree more. The risk will not outweigh the benefit. What we have 'secretly' will only be used if and when the absolute need comes (if ever).

Personally I believe this is just another 'phase' for North Korea to 'bark' at the world to attempt to show some sort of self-induced superiority. Things have escalated slightly more this time then in the past, but North Korea is North Korea... lol.

(btw: nice avatar Mr Govenor
)
edit on 29-3-2013 by Shadys321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadys321

The odd thing is though, that he's broken the pattern...

Usually it's:

1) Threaten test
2) Get food offer
3) Take food offer
4) Scrap test

But this time it was

1) Threaten test
2) Get food offer
3) Refuse food offer
4) Go ahead with test

He's gone off script, and he's really an unknown entity (only ruled over a year)...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The Americans would never beat North Korea, "easily" that is just blind arrogance.

It took our western forces over 10 years to beat some poorly armed religious fanatics, never mind facing a country armed to the teeth with weaponry and with a standing army at over 4 million.

It would be a long, bloody, bloody war costly to every side involved.

I see lots of comments saying China wouldn't get involved, maybe it wouldnt get involved directly but it could easily provide logistical support to North Korea as its in the Chinese interests to have NK reamin as it is.

Why would the Chinese want a united, pro-western Korea right on their border?

There are many layers to this discussion.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I have to wonder how much a puppet state NK is to China. How much control DOES China have over 'lil' Un? Could they be calling the shots to draw the US attention away from their own surreptitious preparations for....

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

The Americans would never beat North Korea, "easily" that is just blind arrogance.

It took our western forces over 10 years to beat some poorly armed religious fanatics, never mind facing a country armed to the teeth with weaponry and with a standing army at over 4 million.

That is COMPLETELY inaccurate. The battle only took less than a month (invasion to Baghdad falling). The POLICE action is what took years (and something we had no business doing). NK is armed to the teeth, but mostly with weapons fought with by our grandfathers. Not sure where the 4 million figure is coming from, but even the 1.2 million isn't to be considered lightly.

It still won't be "easy" though, but it would be assured, and relatively quick (I'd estimate 2 months before all C&C is pretty much shot)..but we'd see far more casualties than we did in the Gulf wars.

To another:

draw the US attention away from their own surreptitious preparations for....

For? Killing off their biggest customer? Why, they are buying us off just fine....
edit on 29-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Did you guys actually see the map of the us targets they want to hit?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ajniss

Got a link?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ajniss

I've seen the same pic everyone else has. The freak with his generals and the maps in the background. But I'm on my phone. (Stuck in bed today.).

What am I missing???

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It would actually be pretty bad if NK did launch some missiles at the US...but not for reasons you think.

It'd be bad because we'd then have to reveal the effectiveness of an anti-ballistic missile defense system, which would make a lot of nuclear powers very unsettled. Knowing about it is one thing...SEEING it work is quite another.

The repercussions of that are pretty unpredictable...if nuclear nations perceive their stockpiles to now be obsolete. What then?

I've seen the same pic everyone else has. The freak with his generals and the maps in the background. But I'm on my phone. (Stuck in bed today.).

What am I missing???

yep, only one I've seen too...somehow isn't frightening me...
edit on 29-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I've always thought North Korea was/is a puppet for China. Never knew where I got that from. But its interesting to see others think the same way.

(I've also thought that Iran is Russia's puppet.)

*IF* North Korea were to attack - I would think it would be under direct orders from China. Possibly Russia.

As for the leadership of North Korea - I think they have to be absolutely insane...if you look at how a common N.Korean citizen lives. Its HORRIBLE. Absolute hell. What those people are subjected to is worse than death.

To allow that many people in those type of conditions for the sake of power is beyond me. You'd have to be a psychopath to do that.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
It would actually be pretty bad if NK did launch some missiles at the US...but not for reasons you think.

It'd be bad because we'd then have to reveal the effectiveness of an anti-ballistic missile defense system, which would make a lot of nuclear powers very unsettled. Knowing about it is one thing...SEEING it work is quite another.

This is really quite relevant, and I have no doubt that every nation where they burn the US flag, rather than wave it, is desperate to evaluate the US's ability to defend itself.

Kim Jong Un, as a result of his Western education has a strong understanding of Statecraft and Diplomacy.

He is playing the classic belligerent global bully bluff. Challenging the world to see just how far he can go.

The reasoning behind this is to prove himself to the senior generals, who he was put in command of before the age of 18. With a military that large, and his own record unproven, his position would be untenable otherwise.

There is no immediate threat of war to my mind.

However as always, it merely takes one blithering fool to make one mistake......

Jensy

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy565

The North Korean leader and army marshal Kim Jong Un declared that “the revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK would react to the US nuclear blackmail with a merciless nuclear attack, and war of aggression with an all-out war of justice,” according to KCNA.

I say we launch a preemptive strike on the son of a bitch.

Why wait?

If somebody walks up and threatens to punch you in the nose do you just stand there and wait? I wouldn't. I'd punch him first and then I'd kick him in the nuts.

edit on 28-3-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

yea but don't forget that basically the big bully is you.. not him... your country invades others for no real reason. so..... yea. that's that.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Originally posted by antar
If they did lob weapons of mass destruction at US bases wouldn't that mean the US would flatten them in a single shot?

Yes, the invulnerable god-country, the US, will counter attack with a single photon torpedo, level the entire country, and then effortlessly phaser the thousands of incoming SL/ICBMs from China, then tracker beam the entire country into space.

All of you who think the US would easily be able to "flatten" an entire country without starting a global war are naive and/or foolish.

You can all be sure that China is going to back up NK if the US tries to do anything to them. NK is probably controlled BY china, and one thing the chinese are NOT, is stupid (as many of you think all nations are save the wonderous glorious god-country of the US).

Most North Koreans are starving peasants, and NK is right next to China. Any nuking would both obliterate whatever credibility the US has with the world ATM (which is almost nothing already), and also would immediately get China involved who despite the ATS armchair-generals and chest beaters assertions, would be a nightmare to behold in a fully engaged war.

Basically you would have a MAD situation.

The US is EXTREMELY limited in its options if NK nukes it, or SK. Any retaliation in NBC fashion would be "suicide" for the US, and any conventional invasion would be titanically bloody due to NKs subterranean fortifications, tunnel systems, raw military power (they are NOT a trivial little back water nation like Afghanistan), and pure hate for the West. It would basically be an un-winnable war.

What you all need to figure out, is that one nation being stronger than another on paper IS NOT IN ANY WAY a guarantee of flawless victory. That seems to be the major perception though, and it is dead wrong.

edit on 3/28/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: stuff

I do not even know where to start.

First, when have you ever heard the US refer to itself as the "invulnerable God country"? I think I detect more than a little hostility, which probably stems from some sort of envy. Me thinks thou doth protest too much. Its your problem to solve, not mine,. I am wondering if you hail from one of those countries we saved from the Nazis in WW II. I think that was an ego bruising for those guys and they still feel like their masculinity never recovered, hence the hostility. Sorry about that but we spilled a lot of blood saving you. It would be nice to show some gratitude for that instead of contempt.

Secondly, we dont have phasers or tractor beams, but we do have some pretty advanced weaponry. And it wont be thousands of ICBMS coming from china, they have maybe 400 warheads, and not all of them are on ICBMS. We on the other hand, have thousands. I think China would think long and hard about launching an attack on the US. To be successful they would have to get our subs, and they of course wouldn't. Our subs, even if a few were left, are capable of obliterating them, and they well know this.

Flatten a country without global war? Uh, yes we could do that. Trust me. Would it be the smartest thing to do? Probably not. But there is no way we will just sit back and take a nuke. If they do a lot of damage, they will receive it back with interest.

And we are not really limited in our options, anyone who throws a nuke at us will live, although not very long, to regret that action, in the most severe way. I dont think I need to go into detail on that. Yes they may have bunkers and underground fortifications, but everything above ground will cease to exist, as will NK as a country. Its not a rational course of action for NK to take, so I hope they are smarter than their rhetoric suggests.

I do agree that fighting should be avoided at all costs, but if NK starts a war with the US, it will not end well for them..

edit on 29-3-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

2 months, Sorry no way, This war would go on for awhile,, while we would hit hard and fast in the front door, China would hit our flank... China and Putin and NK would be a worthy foe,, You would see many fronts open up the theater of war would be spread out,,

All Putin as to do is hit our Oil supply in the mid east, and BAM are Economy is up in smoke.. There would be complete havoc in every State when our oil supply get hit.. We get most of our Oil from Mex and Can, But even with our huge supply of tight oil from the Bakken fields, we would need another 15 fields just like
Bakken, to just meet our daily demand.. and there is Zero chance at that,,,

So this is not just about NK its the others we better think long and hard about.. Not to mention if the other war cost 3 trillion what would the cost of this war be,, and who's going to pay for that... were so screwed !!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join