It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Schools Ban Kids From Making Best Friends

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Which UK government officials do you............actually, scratch that, you're right, they should.

But not about this.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Maybe an isolated incident but it's symptomatic of what's going on in the country.

Constant change. Change for change's sake.

There've been massive changes in recent years in my job.

There's never any improvement mind, it's always messier, more complicated.

Some faceless bureaucrat jerking around in an office somewhere in London suddenly one day goes, "Hey, I've got a good idea....."

Next thing it's rolled out nationwide.

No explanation, no discussion.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by bitsforbytes
reply to post by Logos23

Affinity is what you mean. I think. I find it cute though infinity. hehe

hahaha.....not sure how I managed that....I DO know the difference....honest!

Least you found it cute though....rather than me being ripped to pieces by the grammar and spelling police! Pretty please don't send them way... or they will have a field day!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

This makes me think of A Brave New World.

"Share yourself with everyone!"

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

Well, that is something entirely more serious. One thing that has struck me is how young people coming to work with us seem to know less and less about anything as the years go by. My colleagues and I have often asked each other what exactly do kids get taught these days?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Just a thought.....but who actually uses the word "ban" and "school policy"? I mean apart from The Sun? The direct quote's from people don't use those word's. But The Sun uses those word's when printing their version's of what was said outside of the direct quote's.

The more I think about it the more I call BS....I doubt very much that it is actual school policy written down in stone that children are banned from having a best friend. I don't doubt that it may be their policy to encourage children to play in group's etc.

As it say's in the article "instead..children are encouraged to play in large groups" ...if it was written school policy and school rule's then children wouldn't be "encouraged" to do a particular thing....they would be TOLD to do it without choice.

I don't mind being called out if I am wrong....but I would like to see evidence that a BAN on havering a best friend exist's in any written school policy.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This guy is a little odd, but does sum up this overall issue rather well (IMO):
Please watch:
www.youtube.com...

Hmmm...don't know why it didn't come up in this embed...it's still on YT.
Does anyone else know how to post this properly?
edit on 29-3-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I have no idea how the policy regarding "best friends" is handled in UK schools but I think any institution with authority over children that has any sort of "policy" on friendship between children is guilty of psychological and emotional interference.

People in our modern industrial societies take "sexual interference" very seriously.

Maybe it is time that they looked seriously at other sorts of interference which have the potential of being just as damaging.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ban confirmed:

It seems bizarre," said Russell Hobby, of the National Association of Head Teachers, who confirmed the bans.

From the article:
www.examiner.com...

Russel Hobby (General Secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers):
twitter.com...

National Association of Head Teachers:
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 29-3-2013 by IAMTAT because: Links added

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Thankfully his statement does show that these bans are not officially endorsed in any way, he even says these bans wont affect the way children make friends.

I think this is the same sort of story as the one that claimed that celebrating christmas in schools is offensive to Muslim parents, when no Muslim parents have ever offered an opinion on it, except to say they aren't offended at all and they actually quite enjoy their children learning about it, when the story was raised by the same sort of white middle class idiots who think they know best.
edit on 29-3-2013 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
reply to post by IAMTAT

white middle class idiots who think they know best.

PLEASE don't bring racial slurs into this thread. I don't want to report you...and I DO want to keep this discussion civil.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Schools in the UK are sometimes like bureaucratic control freaks spouting regurgitated office speak and term de jour rather than applying common sense and practicality with wisdom as their modus operandi. Essentially using terms from basic psychology and putting it in place without the people skills, hindsight and wisdom of application.

Inspiring children to be more accepting and encouraging group play is a good thing if done correctly, however forming closer friendships should be accepted as part of human nature. Sometimes 'forcing' children that might not be naturally part of a peer group into 'joining in' isn't in their interest, I have seen this myself, my son pretending to be the sort of child that he isn't just to try blending in and not being bullied by certain sportier, louder more self confident children.

The 'here do this even if it isn't natural to you and then get no real support and a telling off if it adversely affects your behaviour' policy is something schools should be avoiding.
edit on 29-3-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Er, I haven't.

Are you saying that people in the white English middle classes cannot be idiots?

Report away

The point was simply that it was not the Muslim sector of society that were complaining.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
"The Sun" reported. Oh, right. I can help there. "The Sun" reporting something is just a British colloquial saying meaning nobody reported it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT

reply to post by IAMTAT

white middle class idiots who think they know best.

PLEASE don't bring racial slurs into this thread. I don't want to report you...and I DO want to keep this discussion civil.

Your OK attacking introverted people and associating them with mass murderers, but it upsets you when someone takes a dig at out-of-touch middle class busybodies?

PLEASE don't make me report YOU. There is NOTHING civil about calling introverts mass murderers.
edit on 29-3-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

reply to post by IAMTAT

Er, I haven't.

Are you saying that people in the white English middle classes cannot be idiots?

Report away

The point was simply that it was not the Muslim sector of society that were complaining.

Don't worry... just ignore him. This is the same guy who basically said introverted people are mass murderers. Then he wrongfully claims you made a racial slur. Middle class white people isn't a racial slur. He evidently has no idea what he's talking about so just ignore him.

So IAMTAT, why have you not explained your attack of introverted people? You claim they are mass murderers and then just leave it be? You can't leave us hanging like this. Please explain to us what Adam Lanza has to do with this thread, or what gives you the right to claim introverts are mass murderers?

Just embarrassing...
edit on 29-3-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Hmmm, thanks for that. Missed that reference earlier so went back through the thread to see what you were referring to.

That comment was in very poor taste, and then I get threatened with being reported? Appalling

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

reply to post by James1982

Hmmm, thanks for that. Missed that reference earlier so went back through the thread to see what you were referring to.

That comment was in very poor taste, and then I get threatened with being reported? Appalling

I know, it totally blew my mind that he could say something as horrible that he said, and thinks it's OK, but you say something that isn't even offensive, and he starts huffing and puffing about reporting you? It's more than hypocritical, it shows some sort of mental disconnect, maybe he has multiple personality disorders

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Ha ha...you two are funny, I like you. You should become best friends.

Seriously, calling white people "idiots" is a racial slur, just as it would be for any race...but I think you really know that...just as I think you also really know that it is bigoted.

As to my stating that Adam Lanza was an introvert (referencing concurrent news stories that Lanza was severely introverted and played violent video games all day, alone), my statement was in the context of a response to an above post on this thread, which appeared to be attempting to make the point that the banned best friends policy would be overall detrimental to kids and would encourage introversion. Certainly, Lanza might have benefited from having a best friend. Perhaps, if he had, things may have transpired much differently.

Still, I appreciate your contributions and opinions here, but again, please lets keep it civil...as well as on topic.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This report was a "coffee out the nose" moment! What will these children do now? Must they sneak around in order to have a best friend? Here is a song dedicated to this new "manner of course:"

youtu.be...
edit on 30-3-2013 by elrem48 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join