It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Schools Ban Kids From Making Best Friends

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT

Originally posted by darkbake
Hmm... no, best friends are completely natural, especially for introverts. I bet some introverts are seriously pissed off over there.

Yes, Adam Lanza was an introvert.

What the heck does that have to do with this thread or subject? Nothing? Then why post it?

This is about UK kids not being allowed best friends, and somehow you have twisted it in your mind where you think your comment was acceptable.

What was your motivation anyway? To attack introverted people because of your own insecurities? Did you post in an attempt to support the best friend ban? Or attack the bet friend ban?

Your comment just seemed to not only be off-topic, but also in horribly poor taste.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Instead, children are encouraged to play in large groups

They're just teaching.

The sheeplings to know they are just part of a herd.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

Originally posted by darkbake
Hmm... no, best friends are completely natural, especially for introverts. I bet some introverts are seriously pissed off over there.

Yes, Adam Lanza was an introvert.

What the heck does that have to do with this thread or subject? Nothing? Then why post it?

This is about UK kids not being allowed best friends, and somehow you have twisted it in your mind where you think your comment was acceptable.

What was your motivation anyway? To attack introverted people because of your own insecurities? Did you post in an attempt to support the best friend ban? Or attack the bet friend ban?

Your comment just seemed to not only be off-topic, but also in horribly poor taste.

Yeah, OP had a pretty decent thread going until that comment. Bizarre.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So its gone from this....

To this?

Wow,the UK,what a strange place.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I'm wondering how this will develop their relationship skills in the future whenever it comes to having healthy personal relationships with others. How is one suppose to adjust socially whenever they are not allowed to get to know others on a close personal level? Do they expect these children to also have no relationship skills someday on a romantic front either because they never learned how to bond with another person?

Also, to say that they are going to protect them from losing a friend is absurd. Are they also going to follow them around and somehow cure death so that their family members never die either so that they don't have to deal with the loss and sorrow of that either? Or are they simply going to instruct them to never get attached to their family or be compassionate about them? This is just absurd and I would like to argue damaging to the development of these kids.

Human beings need a set of social skills to get anywhere in life and I forsee this have detrimental effects that will be assuredly seen down the road whenever these kids turn into a flock of serial killers or something (mileage may vary of course, I'm not saying that they in fact will be serial killers, just an extreme example nothing more ) .

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The trend of encasing children's emotions in bubble wrap continues in ever-increasing levels of absurdity.
This new rule is so dumb. Anyway, they can hardly dictate who their students socialize with at home and during off hours. People are going to have their favorites, it's basic nature and unavoidable.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
It's an isolated occurrence and won't spread because it's just plain stupid.

I'm sure I could trawl through the American rags, (The Sun is a disgrace of a 'newspaper' and is only good for horse racing, Striker and Page 3), and come up with some equally ridiculous article on PC driven schooling and try to portray it as representative of the US school system as a whole.

The Sun has it's own agenda which it pursue's with vigour at every opportunity.

This is not representative of 99% of schools in the UK and as such your thread title is misleading.

I couldn't have put it better myself Freeborn. The sun is a joke over here and no one takes it seriously, so any stories they print should never be taken at face value. And besides, any schools which are doing this will be in the most minute numbers that it isn't even worth worrying about

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
When I was in private school in USA, a similar rule was invented. No cliques. That is kind of a relief if you're one of those who would be a victim of clique topics. You know the groups: 3 girls or 3 guys, one is the leader, the other two are in supportive roles. They dominate the place, hurt people they shouldn't, bend the rules, and sap the school of school spirit.

That's the idea right? No personal attachments to certain students above the rest.

Funny, all I can comprehend to get what the UK is going through is a Harry Potter character environment. Sorry Harry, but you can't hang out with Ronald and Hermione like that anymore. Now break up and mingle with the others.

The UK is running out of rules to make.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
This is tip toe totalitarianism (sorry for using an Icke term) at its finest.

Stop best friends and private opinion sharing.

Herd mentality has to become the norm for "their" Plans to succeed.

There is no place in this brave new world for original thoughts or private conversations.

The consensus opinion is important.

The children will learn to conform,

So that the future is secure....

We cannot wait until this system becomes the norm, then it is too late.

Good on the Sun for bringing this up.

He, who never has to deal with loss,

Will never, ever, become a Boss.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

It's an isolated occurrence and won't spread because it's just plain stupid.

I'm sure I could trawl through the American rags, (The Sun is a disgrace of a 'newspaper' and is only good for horse racing, Striker and Page 3), and come up with some equally ridiculous article on PC driven schooling and try to portray it as representative of the US school system as a whole.

The Sun has it's own agenda which it pursue's with vigour at every opportunity.

This is not representative of 99% of schools in the UK and as such your thread title is misleading.

Well I was never going to post on this site again but this thread just got to me.
Freeborn, have you taken a good long look at the cbeebies channel? I watch it regularly with my grandson. Every single program (with the exception of abney and teal) is loaded from start to finnish with "your useless on your own" and "Team work". Just take a look at how many of the programs have presenters wearing white coats. Watch chuggington, see how its all about WORKING as a team, and taking orders from a streetlamp fitted with a megaphone, and how it teaches children to WORK for credits not money. Watch Grandpa in my pocket and hear how its all about "TEAMWORK" See the programs that teach children they NEED their doctor, Watch tree fu tom and see how everyday it gets children on their feet and OBEYING him and being told "Team work", Watch horrid henry and hear how its "UNCool to not wear glasses"....
Thats just a few of the PROGRAMs that I can remember at the moment.
There is a massive program taking place in the uk that is aimed at the very young, and what the schools mentioned in the OP are doing is a part of it. A little while ago I saw a group of very young children out on a street corner with their teacher shouting at the cars as they went past because they were polluting their air!!!
There may only be (as you suggest) a few schools involved at the moment but I assure you this will become the norm.
Now take a look at those horrific programs that have recently started aimed at the parents of the very young and hear them teach those parents "No Breast feeding" - "No co sleeping" - "Unfluoridated water rots your teeth".

The next generation of adults will have no bond with their parents, they'll be unable to function without their WORK team by their side, they'll work for credits not money, and they'll happilly send their aging parents to the euthenasia hospital when the government tells them too.
The people of this country are in serious trouble!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Thankfully, I have not watched Cbeebies in a while. (my son is computer-literate now...)

You are absolutely right about the programming of children in the UK, and on Cebeebies in particular.

This is a post I made on an earlier thread on the subject of UK kids TV, but the thread had already degraded into everyone sharing their favourite childhood TV moments.....

Well I was never going to post on this site again

I'm glad you did. ATS is better for it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   

I live in the US, and schools here have certainly been engaging in some ridiculous activity; the suspension of a boy for chewing his pop tart into the shape of a gun comes to mind.

Sig heil!

See now thats what I'm talking about! UNLIMITED f -ing power!

Kids should have to get permission in f-ing advance before tooth sculpture of breakfast pastries.

Should have cut off one of his fingers!

www.washingtonpost.com...

Personally I think it looks like Idaho, or a B2 bomber.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

All those links, take you back to the original Sun article. Gutter press from the Murdoch mafia who want people shaking their fists in rage at schools and teachers. An upcoming teachers strike wouldn't happen to be planned soon?

So The Sun takes one example and now it is government policy that all schools implement the no best friend rule.?

What a load of bollocks and the hand ringing, feigned outrage responses in this thread are pathetic.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I'm sure I could trawl through the American rags, (The Sun is a disgrace of a 'newspaper' and is only good for horse racing, Striker and Page 3), and come up with some equally ridiculous article on PC driven schooling and try to portray it as representative of the US school system as a whole. The Sun has it's own agenda which it pursue's with vigour at every opportunity. This is not representative of 99% of schools in the UK and as such your thread title is misleading.

Agreed. That is all.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
"I have noticed that teachers tell children they shouldn't have a best friend".

Yes, and they also tell children not to smoke, do drugs or have under-age sex.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Who do they think they are, well, they think they are best suited to teach, as they went straight from high school to the teachers college, they have no knowledge of normal jobs, normal interaction with people, the young teachers don't have children of their own, have not felt any 'loss' themselves yet (mother/father/brother/sister dying) but, yes, by heavens, they 'know' bloody hell they do!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Who else do you expect to teach kids? Most people certainly don't go into the profession for the money, unlike many graduates from university who go into marketing or advertising, providing a real service to the community.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Just caught up with this thread, and I think this is just stupidity. Its human nature to pair up, and for kids its natural to find playmates. It teaches them relationships at its basic level. I have twin boys who are naturally best mates. Will their school stop that? Not on my watch they bloody won't.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

reply to post by Logos23

The thing is all these stories come from a small number of PC dominated local councils in London and the South East.

The Sun takes obvious delight in taking these ridiculous policies and blowing them out of all proportion just to portray Labour as the 'Loony Left'.

When these stories are subsequently read by our cousins over the pond they naturally assume it is representative of our school system as a whole, and it's my experience that it isn't.
edit on 28/3/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

I think it is a good thing that it is highlighted early, don't you? I don't care by whom and I don't care how [out of proportion as you call it]. Yes it may be an isolated case but that is already one too many.

I would be outraged if it was only an idea.
It is called nipping it in the bud.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Maybe I've missed something, but to me it seems as though all they've said is that some people are recommending they don't make "best friends". "UK Schools Ban Kids From Making Best Friends" is very misleading if I'm not mistaken.
edit on 29-3-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join