It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe's oldest theatric university engulfed in flames in central Moscow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Europe's oldest theatric university engulfed in flames in central Moscow

rt.com

Fire has engulfed the Russian University of Theatre Arts in the heart of Moscow. Firefighting crews are struggling to save the historic 18th-century building housing the largest theatrical university in Russia and one of the oldest in Europe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Fire has engulfed the Russian University of Theatre Arts in the heart of Moscow. Firefighting crews are struggling to save the historic 18th-century building housing the largest theatrical university in Russia and one of the oldest in Europe.

The fire has reportedly reached 500 square meters in size. Firefighters and Emergencies Ministry crews have been deployed to contain the blaze.

No injuries or casualties have been reported so far, though the building's roof is at risk of collapsing.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

Talk about sending a message to the EU. This can't be a coincidence. This is a symbol of the EU...

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-3-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Am I the only one shocked to hear Moscow being included as part of "Europe"? I thought it was part of Asia.......

Then again, I am a product of American schools.....

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I don't think they see Russia as part of Europe, but that the art building itself is holding old European Art. That's just my guess.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Talk about sending a message to the EU. This can't be a coincidence. This is a symbol of the EU...

please explain

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Well, the EU has just robbed about the whole Russian mob. Do you think this is unrelated? It's not about setting things on fire, its about sending a message. Also the fire department building is literary next door.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko

A symbol of the EU? What are you talking about?

Edit: I see ignorant_ape was faster.

edit on 28/3/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
Am I the only one shocked to hear Moscow being included as part of "Europe"? I thought it was part of Asia......

Russia is actually both.

Most of it is in Asia, Central Russia is considered Europe.

Confusing...yes.
edit on 28-3-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Am I the only one shocked to hear Moscow being included as part of "Europe"? I thought it was part of Asia.......

Moscow is on the continent of Europe.

Click on map:

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
after reading the description of the school. You guys are right, Its not European, It was just the timing that and located in Russia seemed like someone was sending a message.

I can't image the Russian mafia is just gonna leave it at that. Over sensationalism on RT got to me.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

You could have just consulted Wikipedia. There is no excuse not to.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Am I the only one shocked to hear Moscow being included as part of "Europe"? I thought it was part of Asia......

It is actually both.

Most of it is in Asia, Central Russia is considered Europe.

Confusing...yes.

Well Turkey is another confusing example, because it's both Asia and Europe.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

reply to post by 00nunya00

I don't think they see Russia as part of Europe, but that the art building itself is holding old European Art. That's just my guess.

Uhh, no. The most valuable European art is actually held at the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. Their collection is absolutely breathtaking. www.hermitagemuseum.org... Even though what is burning is an university of theatrical arts, it's not likely to contain the valuables as it's basically a theater school--not an art (painting, sculpture, etc) school per se.

Russia is part of what is considered "Eurasia" and is quite massive. It stretches from above Eastern Europe to North of China. goo.gl...

It is definitely a pity that this particular school is on fire. The historical buildings that I saw in both St. Petersburg and Moscow were really quite lovely and it's a definite tragedy for the sake of the building itself and for the students and staff of the school.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
A message? You are crazy. It's Russian, EU has nothing to do with it. They burnt their own University that is one of the best in the World to show EU? To show them what? What robbing are you talking about?

It's an old building and the fire itself is not that big to make 'real' damage. At best it is an insurance scam. But probably just an accident.
edit on 28-3-2013 by baburak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Over sensationalism on RT got to me.

What "over sensationalism"?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Well Turkey is another confusing example, because it's both Asia and Europe.

Yeah. Having been to Russia, itself though, it's definitely far more European than Asian. The Russians that I saw pretty much looked like anybody from any European country ethnically and the historic architecture is pure European. If you compare say the historic architecture styles of Beijing, St. Petersburg, and Paris, it's pretty clear that it's more European than Asian in style. I was only on the European half of Russia though so for all I know, the other side could look far more Asian, lol.
Novosibirsk is more centralized and still looks pretty European. I think the reason why it's more European in theme than Asian is because the former Russian monarchy was basically European in root (relationships to the royal houses of Europe).

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

You could have just consulted Wikipedia. There is no excuse not to.

And you could have recognized that I wasn't questioning its accuracy, but rather commenting on how it surprised me. There's no excuse not to.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Here is an update from Rianovoski

Students who left the building at about 21:00 on Thursday said they saw workers in the area where the fire started, but the university’s management denied the information.

The students also said they detected the faint smell of smoke, and that a fire alarm briefly activated shortly before their departure, but they were unable to find any combustion and left.

Building of Russias Oldest Theatrical University Catches Fire

I took 20 firefighting teams (about 70 people) three hours to put the fire out.
The official explanation (at the moment) is an electrical short.

The fire department is already digging up the old inspection papers to find cause to blame the University.
"omg-they kept props in the attic!!" and "we got there four minutes after the call! /flex".

Mike Grouchy

top topics

join