It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug Out Suggestions With 100's of Miles To Go

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Having read many of the threads, comments, and suggestions here, I thought it a good place to ask.

I'm a truck driver that's away from home for 2-3 weeks at a time. And... Home is only a storage shed and UPS store mailbox.

In my home area are my bugout/survival items. 4x4 Jeep, camping gear, food, guns, ammo. My problem would be getting back to that gear should the SHTF in a rapid way. Carrying a small pack with a few days worth of food, water, compass, map, and clean underwear
isn't a problem.

But, has anyone thought of what they'd do if they were possibly hundreds of miles from were they need to be? Is there a network of people (preppers) that might offer temporary asylum/assistance? Besides population centers, major highways, and large bridges, any other areas that should be avoided? In addition to the few basics above, I'll also carry fish line/hooks, waterproof matches, antibiotic cream, various bandages, a couple of knives, possibly a small 9mm (even though it's against the law for truckers to carry firearms).

Any other suggestions?

To better explain my situation, I'm single, I have no family or friends in this area. Family is about 1300 miles away. I came down here for the work. I refuse to move back to the extreme liberal northeast just to be near them. ( I know... Shame on me)

My bugout plans, once connected with my gear, is to head for the hills. Hopefully hook up with others that would wish to create a mutually beneficial community for everyone's survival.

But getting back to my gear is what has me worried. No matter what I was hauling, no matter where it's supposed to go, I'd drive back this way as far as I could go. When I can go no farther, your help would help.

Thanks...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
You raise some good points. I've even wondered how I'd get out of my own city to where most of my long-term survival stuff is stored about 90 miles away. Things never seem to work out all nice and convenient, so we just happen to be close to our stuff when we might really need it.

In your case, is there any way you can carry a dirt bike on your truck? A bike can get a lot of places a truck or car won't. If highways are blocked just take to the fields or even go through forests if you have to. And it doesn't matter how rough-looking the bike is, providing it's reliable enough to get you a few hundred miles that's all you want.

A dirt bike is sure an option I'm considering myself.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Hey Mike. Yeah... Seems most talk about the trip from work to home. This is a whole new perspective on distance.

Actually, I've thought about getting a small dirt bike. Build a rack on the back of the Jeep to get deeper into the woods.

Unfortunately, I'm a company driver, and they won't even allow a bicycle carried on the back. Once the trip becomes impossible over the roads, the only option is by foot.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I'm afraid that after weeks of walking miles a day to get to a destination hundreds of miles away, there will be some sort of guard set up to point me in the opposite direction. I keep having this dream of being stopped at the Mississippi River, no supplies except blankets given out to people by the military. Food would be a walk away, and shelter would probably be a stadium somewhere, on a good day in a bad time. Yes, they would detain you beyond your consent.

I was sort of counting on guerrilla and hitchhiker tactics to get to a far out destination in a zombie invasion day with total anarchy. Roads would probably be blocked though. That's why the interstate highway system was built in the first place, for war preparedness. Stretches of freeways are made to be transformed into runways. Hijacking a train line might work faster. Ever see those old films where two men are pumping a lever on a cart on a train? Something like that. This is, of course, if the rails haven't been sabotaged somehow, or blocked.

If you could find a horse, it might go faster. Horses came in handy before there were cars, hundreds of years ago even. Think about cowboys and how they herd cattle for hundreds of miles. Ideally you wouldn't want to be alone, but should travel in a group. Think about all those illegal immigrants that came to the USA, or all those religious pilgrims.

Bring moleskine and a big floppy hat in your bugout bag. After a hundred miles you might need an extra pair of shoes. Maybe some roller skates, or a skateboard.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon

Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

A major river would be a big concern. If bridges are blocked, I'd probably follow the shore upstream and try to find a boat, or a boat owner willing to give a ride across. Last resort would be to lash together dried logs to lay on and paddle over.

Roads, big or small, would probably be to dangerous to travel on, by foot. A rail line, if going in the right direction, may be a good option. Walk it by night though. Not only cooler, but less likely to be seen, shot, and robbed. More likely to hear or see others to be avoided. I have night vision. If you can afford it, I'd suggest it for everyone, even those bugging in. A decent monocular is only about $250-300.

I've often debated with myself which would be best, even if not faced with a scenario like we're talking about. A horse, or an ATV. Both have pro's and con's. The pro's are about the same, mainly extended range and carrying capacity. The horse would definitely beat out the ATV in personality.

However, the horse would be susceptible to illness and injury. Also you'd have to make sure you could supply food. Might prove hard traveling cross country and staying in forested areas. The ATV would be susceptible to flat tires and breakdowns. Also you'd have to make sure you could supply food. Yeah ... gas.

Either way, you'd have to be ok with stealing that horse or ATV (or dirt bike) from someone else. Which may be a risk not worth taking.

Anyway, more to think about. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 2ndthought

But, has anyone thought of what they'd do if they were possibly hundreds of miles from were they need to be?

I work nearly 50 miles away from my home, so I do get where you are coming from here...but hundreds of miles would be tough. I'd think you'd be better off just trying to make friends as you go. There are some prepper networks, but of course, they may not trust each other all that much.

Either way, you'd have to be ok with stealing that horse or ATV (or dirt bike) from someone else.

Either could be dangerous. To ranchers (the ones most likely to have those), prepping isn't just for SHTF, it's simply what you do, due to storms, bad money times, etc. And, I haven't known a SINGLE horse owner who didn't have guns. You'd be better off ripping off a motorcycle or ATV in an urban area.

What many do, who are on the road a lot, is bury caches in various places along their most travelled routes, so at least they have some resupply points along the way. Expensive to be redundant, but workable.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I believe any of us who pay attention to world events are going to have a pretty good idea when something solid is coming down the pipe.

That would probably be a good time to take a vacation and hang out at home. Unless its a natural disaster there really shouldn't be any excuse for not seeing the signs that bad times are coming.

I imagine it will be fairly obvious.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah. If I had a piece of ground stacked out, with family and friends around, It'd be hard for me to trust a passing stranger. If the vibes were right, I might offer a meal and safe place to catch some sleep, but please be on your way after that.

Also right about ranchers. Also horses can be fickle. I've known a few that will only go so far before deciding to go home. Haven't ridden for quite a number of years, and doubt I could keep my seat if it felt it was time I got off.

I'm 56, but I think still stout enough to handle a dirt bike. Wouldn't be throwing many trick jumps or anything, but that's probably my best bet for rapid transit if it come to it. Now I have to find a rubber tube to siphon gas with... lol.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

And that's what I hope for. Enough time to get back home, pack the Jeep, and head deep into the national forest. Dig in and keep my head down.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 2ndthought

That's a good item to throw in a BOB (a siphon kit, or even just a hose).

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
A good quality fold-up bike might not be a bad idea. It should be small enough such that you could stash it in the passenger area in a large bag, and get around the rule about not carrying a regular bike on the outside of the truck. (The company probably doesn't want to be sued for having something loose fall off your truck and hit somebody, which is why whatever you've got has to be able to fit inside.) Yeah they look funky/geeky, but it still beats the hell out of walking as long as you're on level or (even better yet) downhill pavement. On a bicycle you can travel over 50 miles in a day where you might be lucky to go 10 when walking with the same level of effort. When not on pavement you can fold it up so it's less ungainly to carry.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
A 24 speed dual suspension mountain bike and the best topos you can get
and saddlebags for the bug out gear

Also night vision if posible
travel down the power lines, logging roads, cow paths...at night, if you can

the wheels unlock so the bike doesn't take much room
60 to 100 miles a day is not unreasonable
edit on 19-4-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join