It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tradition be darned!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

What you're looking at here is a peanut-butter, banana, and jelly filled hot dog bun with shredded coconut.

I like cooking, but I like putting together rustic snacks and meals even more. I don't know--there is just something satisfying about throwing together some scraps like that last blackened banana, that old hot dog bun in the back of the fridge, and that last pinch of coconut (that would otherwise go to waste) and making it into something interesting.

(And if you're thinking, "That looks like something only a 4-year old would eat," well the joke is on you because I found it quite delicious and filling
)

I want to see what truly rustic, inspired, and maybe bizarre meals and snacks that only the good people of ATS can invent. Leave your cookbooks and traditions at the door and show me your most creative snacks and meals. If you can't snap a photo, just list the ingredients and describe the final product.

Just to get the ball rolling...One of my favorite simple, rustic meals is what I call Asian shepherd's pie:

1)Take some leftover ground beef, brown it and season with salt, pepper, and a splash of soy sauce.
2)Take whatever leftover veggies you have on hand (for me, usually carrots, onion, bell peppers), dice or chop neatly. Stir-fry in a little sesame oil.
3)Mix the beef and veggies and serve under a scoop of whatever rice you have on hand.
4) Quick, simple, different, yum!

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say, "There's nothing to eat in my kitchen," and I've had to prove them wrong by whipping up something on the fly. What's your best non-traditional dish?

edit on 28-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Mint sauce and fried egg buttys.
Yummy in my tummy.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You're in the UK...a butty is a sandwich, right? Fried egg sandwich with mint sauce? Hmm, sounds interesting. The closest thing I do to that is a scrambled egg sandwich with a very, very thin layer of mayo on untoasted bread. (That'll take care of that last egg and give you a filling meal.)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Yup sorry a sandwich

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I'd totally eat that.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I made a cake sarnie once.

Well baked.

Me. Not the sarnie.

Oo

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

How do you think I came up with my mint sauce and egg butty

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Flatbread (soft tortilla), stuffed with chocolate sauce and marshmallow.

Slice a green apple into a cast iron fry pan, with a little butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Top with rolled oats and brown sugar and walnuts. Bake for 20 to 30 min.
Top with ice cream.

Green apples, sliced up, with caramel sauce as dip.

Melt over double boiler in tiny bowl: tablespoon organic coconut oil, tsp honey, tsp coconut, squirt of honey. Stir. Refridgerate. Don't eat more than one of these in a day, or you'll be in the loo all night.

But they're healthy in moderation.

Celery stalks with almond butter and honey. < is often breakfast.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

What you're looking at here is a peanut-butter, banana, and jelly filled hot dog bun with shredded coconut.

That looks interesting. I am wondering how the hot dog bun tastes vs bread. I am very tempted to try this lol

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say, "There's nothing to eat in my kitchen," and I've had to prove them wrong by whipping up something on the fly. What's your best non-traditional dish?

edit on 28-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

I have heard many people say this! I have also helped many cook pretty darn good meals with what they have in their kitchen. My friend and I use to see who had the most interesting concoction. I didn't have a lot of money then so my fridge/pantry weren't as stocked like they are now. I came up with some pretty good ideas and have since helped others who felt they had nothing to cook.

There is a cool site you can go to where you put in the ingredients you have and it comes up with recipes you can make with what you have. Here is a link to Supercook. I have also given this site out to people to go through for ideas.

Something i haven't made that i use to make probably 10yrs ago is pretty easy, tasty and cheap.
I am not sure if I posted it on here or not but here is it.

1 can zucchini in the red saucebrith after has to be one. (Del Monte I believe makes this)
Elbow pasta
Parmesan cheese
Black olives
Can diced tomatoes
Garlic

Heat zucchini, black olives, diced tomato and garlic in a sauce pan. Cook pasta. Toss all items with pasta when finished and serve. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
One of the tastiest odd combos for me was years ago I made cream of wheat and a scrambled egg and combined those with some peanut butter and blueberry syrup. It was delicious, I got busted by my room mate who couldn't stop laughing at me.

Another oddball favorite is a baked sweet potato, smothered in peanut butter and honey. It makes a great filling lunch.
I bet my boys would love the banana in the hot dog bun.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

That looks interesting...

Well my quick meal is a mix of omellete and pie.
2 eggs
milk
flour
and everything i can find in my fridge(bacon,peppers,cheese,ham,chicken etc)
I mix them and throw them into a pan.

When i'm in a more Star Trek mood than usual and i have the time, i make plomeek soup(the Vulcan soup)
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup butter
4 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
5 cups celery, chopped
4 cups chicken or veggie stock
1 teaspoon pepper
salt
½ cup heavy cream

Melt the ½ butter in a saucepan and saute the onions over low heat until transparent. Add the remaining butter, melt, and add the carrots--cooking over low heat until browned, about 30 minutes. Add the celery and cook 10 more minutes on low heat. Pour in the stock, salt, and pepper, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let soup simmer for about an hour.
When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and stir in the cream.

\V/

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I love a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. Has to be dill pickles, though. Sometimes I will add a little Chinese hot oil to it. Yum.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
S&F for creativity.....not sure I would eat it though....

It is fun to use up leftovers in creative ways....a good one to use up the half full bag of corn chips that's starting to get a little stale is to make Tamalle Pie

1. cook meat of choice, I usually use chicken
2. finely diced onion
3. diced tomatoes, canned or fresh, can also use salsa
4. diced black olives
5. diced otega chiles
6. corn chips
7. shredded cheddar cheese

Mix it all together, top with cheese and bake till cheese is golden brown...Yummy

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
I love a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. Has to be dill pickles, though. Sometimes I will add a little Chinese hot oil to it. Yum.

Peanut butter and lettuce is really good. It has to be the crispy, fresh, iceberg lettuce though.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

That sounds like the most lavish feast of plomeek soup I've ever heard of! My version of plomeek soup would be like...ramen noodle broth, discard the noodles, season sparingly with salt.

And for the Vulcan in pon-farr, maybe a squeeze of lime juice

edit on 29-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

That is definitely different! Sounds like an interesting combination. Where did you get the idea from? Is there a story behind this one?

I think I will try the peanut butter and lettuce first and work my way up to pickles and chili oil

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

That is definitely different! Sounds like an interesting combination. Where did you get the idea from? Is there a story behind this one?

I think I will try the peanut butter and lettuce first and work my way up to pickles and chili oil

I got it from my mom. She fed them to me when I was little. I don't know how she came up with it. The chili oil was my idea, because I like everything spicy!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Phantom traveller

That sounds like the most lavish feast of plomeek soup I've ever heard of! My version of plomeek soup would be like...ramen noodle broth, discard the noodles, season sparingly with salt.

And for the Vulcan in pon-farr, maybe a squeeze of lime juice

edit on 29-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

The soup recipe is the original from the star trek cookbook
I will try your version first chance i have, maybe with a little romulan ale on the side.

edit on 30-3-2013 by Phantom traveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Replace the bun with a croissant, mash the banana up, and use chocolate syrup in place of the jelly, and I'd totally devour that thing.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Marge Simpson made once similar sweet hot-dogs made of cookie dough "dogs", meringue "buns", cherry sauce "ketchup", and caramel "mustard"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join