It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are the serial numbers blacked out?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
On the Search and Seizure warrants released in the Sandy Hook shooting investigation, all of Adam Lanza's computers and computer equipment serial numbers are redacted. Is this a common practice? I asked an ex law enforcement officer and he told me it is not standard practice to do that. So, what would be the reason for doing so?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

I thought there was a pretty nifty publication ban on most of the material?

If that's the case they could have redacted pretty much anything they wanted. Serial and MAC #'s are traceable and I assume investigators don't want people prying into things more than they have already.

Or they lied about the weapons used and the serial's prove that. Either way, just another question without a very good answer.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The things the report has blacked out speak volumes. I know the serial numbers can be used to determine who actually purchased said equipment. If it was Nancy or Adam, why the need to black it out?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Isn't it strange that the serial numbers on the computers and computer equipment were blacked out, but the serial numbers on the guns were not.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It was by request

The state's attorney also requested the omission of serial numbers for several items that were seized by investigators from the Lanza home at 36 Yogananda St. in Newtown, as well as phone numbers and credit card numbers that were related to the case.

I suppose you wouldn't want people trying to tie some innocent person who previously owned an xBox somehow to the case. I can see why they would redact those.
edit on 28-3-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

Honestly, computer serial numbers are more readily traceable than guns. We don't have easy access to the gun database, but we can go to any computer manufacturers website, worldwide, and trace that information.

Computers aren't regulated like guns are.

Computers are a dime a dozen.

If we had the serial numbers on the computers, we'd find who manufactured them, where they were shipped, who bought them, and a whole plethora of information. The tech guys anywhere know this.

What if the serial number traced back to a DOD account? What if they point to an invoice by Mommy Lanza?

What if, they already traced the purchase?

Redactions.

top topics

join