It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me about Magick.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by network dude

Start by journeying. Get with someone who knows how to lead journeys. Get really comfortable with it and really learn how to interpret its symbolism. Start dream logs apply what you learn to your dreams. Once you get to that point you need to figure out what your suppose to be learning. You'll really know how to direct your focus at this point.

You are speaking to an infant in this subject. I don't yet even understand what it's about, let alone how to accomplish anything. But I really do thank you for replying. If you could start at the 101 level for me, I would have a better chance of grasping the concept.

What is your definition of magic?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

That did help a bit. Kind of leaves me with more questions, but at least a starting point.

Do you equate this to praying in a simplistic way?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Defining magick.... Heh. It's not that easy trust. Magic is not a spell or a ritual. It's deeper then that and in order to discover its truth you need to define it yourself. I can't do that for you.

I told you where to start if you think you can handle it when I get home I will incorporate more information for you. Don't listen to simpleton ideas and explanations I cannot define what it is for you you can only discover that truth for yourself. Anyone who is truly initiated can tell you that.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by mikegrouchy

That did help a bit. Kind of leaves me with more questions, but at least a starting point.

Do you equate this to praying in a simplistic way?

I felt that the first and best step is to recognize the spells that are already cast on us.
Some people call this waking up.
In the example linked
it helped the tenor of the entire discussion about the housing bubble (a huge topic in 2010)
successfully.

The conspiracy theorist world went from "bad credit rating" to omg-they-have-too-many-guns
practically overnight.

The absolutist authoritarian nature of predatory banking is not longer even a question.
They thought to impunge the strength of our word,
and now they have no word at all.

Bad investment if you ask me.

People who bought guns, on the other hand,
have only seen an increase in value.

The only reason we haven't moved
is we are waiting for there to be only two super-predators left.
TPTB are not finished eating each other yet.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Thanks. For me, it's like what masonry was before I joined. It was an idea that was very vaguely defined. I had no idea what it entailed or what it was about,and I sure didn't know what questions to ask to clarify any of it, but now I can tell you about it many different ways.

But I am just as lost with what magic is, what it's for, why it is, if it's a philosophy or a practice, if it has practical applications, ect.....

Thanks for being patient with me.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Now i'm more perplexed.... A Mason asking the masses about magic, when the whole practice/religion of Masonry is shrouded w/ such talks of secrecy and magic.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Not to mention you stating is praying magic in it's most simplistic form, I'm believing this thread to be hogwash and your prying on threaders for a insincere reason. That line along w/ the Mason reference paint a different picture of the the thread your creating. Especially since you posted this in a Mason Forum.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Ah,

Good enough then. Beats me, too, network dude. I think that you and I have probably been down some of the same roads, and I am still in the same boat as you are.

As you can see from your thread, it's not easy to agree on what 'magic/k' is.

I did learn a couple of things, though, that I like to think give me an edge in understanding. The first is that post about 1830, all of this writing about the occult takes on a very competitive quality. All of the writers from that time forward were in competition with one another to be the most sought after authority on 'the occult' and to garner the most followers. What I discovered behind the scenes, was a literary turf war that spans continents and continues to this day. It's important to know that.

And secondly that if one goes back and starts with Plato and makes their way to the Romans, Plotinus and Apuleius, all this 'magic/k' gets shrunk down to a manageable size.

Good luck, man.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

I am a mason. Have been for quite a few years. I don't see masonry as anything magic or even secret. I understand it. I know without being a member that doesn't help, but the members know what I mean.

It's more of a way of life and using allegory to remind you how to live it as a better man. The secrets are there to remind you that a true and trusted friend who trusts you enough to confide with you deserves your secrecy in regards to his issue. Otherwise, he messed up by trusting you with his secret. But this isn't about masonry, it's about what magic is.

If you told me most groups use magic to cast spells on their enemies, that would simplify it greatly, but something tells me that would be missing the point by miles.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

I feel like I won a small victory! I managed to explain myself to at least one person here today.

In studying history there is the mention of alchemy. It starts out as mixing chemicals to change the properties of minerals or solids. Then it evolves into a much more philosophical aspect that becomes murky to the average person. I don't know if that is the base of what I am asking, or if it's not even close.

These are the kind of things the Google just cannot explain easily.
I honestly don't know what to put in that box with the blinking cursor.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Good video clip~ I understand where your coming from, sorry i'm aprehensive as you start aproaching situations differently being on ATS for a few...

As far as turning someone into a Newt, unless something very different was going on back then that was never documented, it's impossible.

Most magic over the years has been debunked through Alchemy and Wizards used gun powder and such to spark awe and fear into individuals.

After awhile and much searching Magic no matter how you look at it is based on thoughts vs. actions easiest stated would be from the Wicans "Harm none lest ye be harmed"

The Law Of One is a good place to look, though a lot of people discredit the thought but many also say

"So you state, So you create"

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

YES! like gunpowder was magic at the time, but now is widely understood as normal.
But it seems like there is more of a philosophy aspect to what people here attribute to magic.
Much more so than just things that we don't know enough about now.

I understand magic as exactly that. Illusion, hidden knowledge. But when someone says "be careful, it may take you to a dark place" or something like that, I go back to having that huge question mark floating above my head.

Either it's all explainable but perhaps not understood, or it's mystical and supernatural in a real sense. I am interested in understanding if it's just that , or much more.

Thanks, I am glad you get where I am at.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
As far as turning someone into a Newt, unless something very different was going on back then that was never documented, it's impossible.

Sure it was possible. He just got better.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Please narrow your question down more or ask upon something I just stated and maybe I can help with what knowledge I have.

If it were only that easy!

edit to add:
I was once told that I am esoteric lite. (like lite beer)
I agree with that and am lost in the high level esoteric discussions, so I stick to what I know, but I took off my sock and am ready to stick my pinky toe in the water.

edit on 28-3-2013 by network dude because: Augustusmasonicus puts Old Fitzgerald in the Jack Daniels Single Barrel bottle.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Hrmmm after a brief argument with myself let me try this out and see how you respond~

"Harm none lest ye be harmed" now~

Voodo Doll's (A form of Magic)

Only accomplished when a said someone wants someone to suffer after being harmed. To the same effect if one creates a Voodo Doll out of Malicious intent without just cause it's said that whatever is wished upon will return 10 fold. Same kinda deal with Curses~

But to accomodate the Voodoo Doll you need something that meant something to said person~

I.E~ Hair/Torn Cloathing/ Use your imagination here as you'd be suprised what some people make a voodo doll out of.

After the structuring of the doll, it all becomes user intent "So you state so you create" So poking a needle through the abdomine will cause said pain the doll's recepiant was made after.

Ok..... How was that?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

LoL don't get me wrong I believe the whole Frog and Princess Kiss thing but that type of Magic if it did exist left this planet a looooooooooong time ago and what little remnants we have that remain are few and far between IMO~

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

LoL don't get me wrong I believe the whole Frog and Princess Kiss thing...

Not a Python fan I see.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The main foundation I see with Magick (and its various spellings) is that it is a tool and methodology to help focus your will, goals and desires. By having a direction and aims set it does increase your chance in attaining them. By undertaking spells and rituals it helps the individual or group define and express what is important to them. Other practices like meditations and readings can also assist with expanding thoughts, imagination, options and assist with problem solving by viewing the situation in different ways.

As for some super natural component associated to Magick, I do not know. There is lots of folklore around and many mysteries remaining as to how life works. The one thing I do know, the more time and energy you invest into an area, the better you get at it.

One practice associated to the Magical Arts I do like is visualization. When faced with a lot of problems focus on the goal, it does help with making the next step the right one.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Rofl I totally missed that and yes I am a Python fan, I'm just lost in thought on how to help facilitate what our OP is asking for~

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

I am with you. The voodoo doll thing is like what I think of with magic, but I consider it hocus pocus. Like a curse. You could think you put a spell on someone to give them bad fortune, but then you would just wait around for the inevitable and eventually, they would have bad luck and you might say "it worked!". Maybe it was the curse, or maybe it was just fate.

In that respect, I get it completely.(just don't believe in it)

But I know that on my path to be a better person, I would be better to pray for that person to not be an idiot, instead of putting a curse on them, or wishing for them to have bad luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join