It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me about Magick.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Just sticking my head in to look around. Some more morsels of good data which are obvious when you think of them. Trick is to think of them (must credit my teacher with all of these):

Magickal ceremonies are done, and some have a high rate of complexity, to assure your subconscious that you are serious.

To actually manifest something in your life, once you clear out the garbage, takes as much energy as lifting a pencil. The ultimate prayer at some levels is a fleeting thought of "wouldn't it be nice?"

Always end on success. If you bump your toe on something, go back and do the action again. If you're playing catch and drop the ball or miss the target, keep doing it until you hit the target, and then you can "end" on success. Never end on a dropped ball or missed putt, or, as the oldy but goody example, when the horse throws you get right back on.

edit on 7-4-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
So some here are saying Alchemy is connected with the paranormal how?. At what stage then did Alchemy form positivist philosophy to be based on empircism thus Science as european civilisation understands it.
These materialist rationalist ideas are the opposite of such superstition we are disccusing here.
This was one of the reasons for the euro Renaissance/enlightenment in the first place e.g. Volitaire, Francis Bacon etc.
edit on 7-4-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

So I would be very interested in hearing interpretations of what Magick is, and what you might be able to gain by using it.

Freemasonry seems to have been created to preserve magickal symbolism, based on the Hermetic philosophy. In that school, I would suggest a study of Dr. Israel Regardie's book "The Golden Dawn". It contains the complete system of Hermetic / Rosicrucian magick that people like Crowley and Pike were familiar with.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I've been lurking this thread, and I think yours is one of the most helpful explanations for the inquisitive. Overall, it seems people are interested in Magick, and probably always have been, but just don't know where to start.

The only other thing I could add to your post is that it becomes a lifestyle.

Well said, namaste.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Paraphrase:

Magick is the art of inducing change in conformity with the will.

Actual Crowley quote from Book 4

"the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will."

Robert Anton Wilson version:

"Brain change willed"

What I posted on the first page along with the Trobriand Cricket video:

Anthropologists use the word magic to describe a phenomenon found in all societies wherein people seem to attempt to control their environment through 'spiritual' means, usually by trying to influence unseen forces or beings.

So? Where lies the difference?

edit on 10-4-2013 by Bybyots because:

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

I haven't actually read Liber IV though.... It's just a most perfect way of explaining magick simply.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Theprimordialocker

Egypt would be a good place to start, specifically Khem....Where do you think the etymology of the word comes from?

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by Aleister

I've been lurking this thread, and I think yours is one of the most helpful explanations for the inquisitive. Overall, it seems people are interested in Magick, and probably always have been, but just don't know where to start.

The only other thing I could add to your post is that it becomes a lifestyle.

Well said, namaste.

Thanks Druid42 (nice name). I'm not butting in much on this one, just popping in every couple of days, and thanks for taking notice. Soon I'll do a thread on my "teacher" (main teacher anyway, the one I quote a lot to give credit) who died a few years ago, and then you'll have some more really good data (if we can't praise our main teachers, who can we praise!!)

Ah, a lifestyle. I've never described the things I do as a lifestyle, but what else can it be described as? Thanks for the "verbage".

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

No idea thats why I am asking. Seems strange that secret societies have been for rationalism & the empirical method ever since the enlightenment. Yet here we have a thread based something little better than dark age superstition. No wonder western society is regressing with folks like you lot leading it!

edit on 12-4-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Magick is a multi-faceted art.

It uses illusion and sensory perception. It uses science, chemistry, physics, mathematics, engineering, and invention. It uses neuroscience, psychology, behavioral science, instinct and anatomical functionality.

• Magick is the utilization of science over others in order to entertain, trick, hypnotize, mesmerize, or control.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kgnow

Magic is the difference between reality and divinity.
u have to experience it to know it.
Epiphany is seldom but lasting.
Magic is used to contradict. It fails time and again.
Divinity yields great works.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Alchemy was started in the land of Khem, Egypt.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the majority theory is that al-kīmīā is derived from χημία, which is derived from the ancient Egyptian name of Egypt (khem, khame, or khmi, meaning "black earth", contrasting with the surrounding desert.) Therefore, alchemy is the "Egyptian art".[1] However, it is also possible that al-kīmīā was derived from χημεία, meaning "cast together".

This would be a good place and time to start researching into Hermeticism.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Does hermeticism not lead to golden dawn instead of alkimia...?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kgnow

• Magick is the utilization of science over others in order to entertain, trick, hypnotize, mesmerize, or control.

Where did you come up with this stuff. Surely not via the education system in any western nation.
You talk dribble man! Science is using empirical fact and experimentation to reach logical conclusions e.g disproving the paranormal is easy.
Magic is simply the claim that ghosts and other metaphysical entities are are real which has not been proved by any recognisable scientist. Occultists do not equate to recognisable scientists & even if they were, what field of science would they cover? Science deals with facts not illusion.

I am going to run this thread by Steven Hawkins & Richard Dawkins I am sure at least one of them will have good chuckle and will not be impressed.

edit on 17-4-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schrödinger
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Nice to see that you can get so much from so little.

Nice to see that you understand so little but know so much....

I can trade quips with you until the cows come home my friend.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

This would be a good place and time to start researching into Hermeticism.

Honestly what do you think I do all day? I work and study in an accredited institution unlike you!
I have no time on my hands however have enough to know some phoneys when i see them posting dribble on a forum.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I think you have missed the point of what most people in the occult circles describe magic as. This in not paranormal, it's not pulling a rabbit out of a hat, it's not making the statue of liberty dissapear, it's more philosophy than anything.

If you look at it as being negative will produce negative results, where being positive will bring positive results, then you could go either way. In real life, acting like an ass will usually bring bad results, so it's scientifically proven. Being a good person, might eventually bring good results. Even if it doesn't, it makes the person being positive feel better so the overall goal is reached.

You reap what you sow.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Hi Veritas

You wrote: QUOTE

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the majority theory is that al-kīmīā is derived from χημία, which is derived from the ancient Egyptian name of Egypt (khem, khame, or khmi, meaning "black earth", contrasting with the surrounding desert.)

Therefore, alchemy is the "Egyptian art". However, it is also possible that al-kīmīā was derived from χημεία, meaning "cast together".

UNQUOTE

Clearly, the OED does not really know for sure from what etymological source this curious ancient term ('Alchemia') actually derives - and as we all know, 'majority opinions' often change when new information surfaces...

Certainly 'Al-Khem' could mean 'from Egypt' (lit. 'from the Black' land i.e. the land of blackened Nile silt) or it could mean '[from] the Blackened' i.e. '[arising from] the Nigredo' i.e. the very first stage in all Alchemical processes. This final derivation certainly seems plausible.

The issue with using the Greek term 'Khemeia' as the root for Alchemy is that the term is actually 'Al-Khemiea' which begins with a two letter Arabic particle 'al-' (i.e. functioning here as a definite article, meaning 'the', i.e. 'The Black' ) and AL as a two letter grammatical combination is not recognized in Greek - unless it is a imported 'barbarian term' i.e. a foreign word being transliterated into Greek letters, or made into a kind of portmanteau technical term using the two languages mixed together, - after all there was the Hellenisation of Egypt after Alexander the Great's conquest c. 331 BCE.

Since Al- is a common Arabic particle (with various and sundry linguistic usages) presumably Al-Khem would be the best solution for the true root for the term Alchemy (i.e. 'from the Black')

Just my $.02

edit on 17-4-2013 by Sigismundus because: stutteringggggg computerrrrrrr keyyyboarddd

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Hmm you were the one that posted the thread as a "Question" by claiming naivety to those supposedly more knowledgeable than yourself.
Seems you know A GREAT DEAL after all for some one that claimed complete ignorance at the,beginning of the thread. In fact I could have almost sworn you are a different poster/persona, than several hundred posts earlier. I assume this is some kind of masonic ruse at playing dunce just to get attention or testing posters knowledge for some reason, nice act, nice tactic.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

So I am not allowed to learn? That was the point of this thread. I tried to understand what my peers were talking about when they mentioned magic. Now I understand their context. It make much more sense to me now. Did you learn anything from this thread?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join