It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom in the 50 States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
A study shows that so called "Red" conservative State had more freedom for its citizens than the "Blue" liberal States.
Im really surprised that Alaska didnt make it in the top 5.
Oh well, glad to be in Texas

Source

Americans are migrating from less-free liberal states to more-free conservative states, where they are doing better economically, according to a new study published Thursday by the George Mason University's Mercatus Center. The "Freedom in the 50 States" study measured economic and personal freedom using a wide range of criteria, including tax rates, government spending and debt, regulatory burdens, and state laws covering land use, union organizing, gun control, education choice and more.

It found that the freest states tended to be conservative "red" states, while the least free were liberal "blue" states.

The freest state overall, the researchers concluded, was North Dakota, followed by South Dakota, Tennessee, New Hampshire and Oklahoma. The least free state by far was New York, followed by California, New Jersey, Hawaii and Rhode Island. The study also compared its measures of economic and personal freedom to population shifts and income growth, and found that freer states tend to do better on both scores than those less free.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
T for Texas, T for Tennessee. I have lived in both. We have your back here in Tennessee. Just take care of my granddaughter down there now.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Looks like I may need to move back to Tulsa, OK

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It doesn't take a study to understand that if you smother people with regulation and restrictions they'll make for greener pastures.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

Have you considered that unfortunately, they are bringing their liberal attitudes with them when they migrate from state to state?

There are even articles on how the Progressives are looking to make TX, AZ, etc Blue states in the next decade. Purple at a minimum.

They are like locusts or parasites, once they have bled the victim dry, they’ll move on to the next.

edit on 28-3-2013 by TDawgRex because: uh? Again?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
It doesn't take a study to understand that if you smother people with regulation and restrictions they'll make for greener pastures.

Reminds me of the study finding that "dumb people think they are smarter than they really are".

Some things are just plainly obvious... but I guess its just those people who think they are smarter than they really are who need these kind of studies to "prove" it

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I can imagine what Obama wants to "fundamentally transform"!

I now have a better idea of where I want to go.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Have you considered that unfortunately, they are bringing their liberal attitudes with them when they migrate from state to state?

Haha, yes I have. That was actually the first thing that came to mind when reading the article

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Most free...Oklahoma?! Are you kidding me!

OK has some of the strictest abortion laws out there. I think the definition of "freedom" is biased.

It's only "freedom" if it fits a Republican/Christian moral and ethical world view

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Nobody "moves to Oklahoma". They don't even have fully topless strip clubs.

I hate pasties.

If I'm not free to see some nip at a private establishment, I don't consider that being "free"

edit on 28-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by resoe26

Nobody "moves to Oklahoma". They don't even have fully topless strip clubs.

I hate pasties.

If I'm not free to see some nip at a private establishment, I don't consider that being "free"

edit on 28-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

Haha.. dont forget about the 3.2 beer

join