It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL Things Survival: 03/28/2013: Spring Has Sprung. Planting and Enjoying The Wilds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Thursday, 03/28/2013 at 8:00PM EST

illustrial.net
If Illustrial does not work click:::
ATS Direct

[color=#f9eb03]Or click on the image above

The gathered panel of hosts include Military Veterans, Mountain Men and just plain old Hillbillies with a combined experience in Survival of over 100 years!!!!!

Your Panel

JacKatMtn
Semperfortis
David Wendell
Ahabstar
Luke
Bear Truth
Justin
Michael
And TheRedneck Doug

[color=#f9df04]This week we are discussing

[color=#F2EC48]Planting and Enjoying

The GREAT Outdoors

[color=#0F0BED]Tune in Folks

PLUS.. [color=#0a94ff]Gardening With Laura, [color=#27ff0a]Disaster Procedures With Luke, and [color=#07c4fa]Tools With Greg!!

So TUNE IN THURSDAY @ 8:00PM EASTERN via illustrial.net and give us a listen while you learn and expand your knowledge along the way. And if you have not checked out our Bush Craft On Fire YouTube Channel, stop by and watch the videos we have up. Be sure to leave comments, hit the like button or subscribe as you feel is appropriate.

Don't forget to go visit the NEW Bushcraftonfire Website where you can listen to our past shows, take a Survival quiz and much more!!!!

OH YEAH! While you listen, come on the Facebook Page and post your questions, thoughts and comments, or just follow the survival conversation.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

If you have trouble hearing the show on the above links, tune in to the Low Bandwidth here HERE

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Nice site! Where is the quiz?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I don't know

The website was just revamped

I'll ask David and get back to you

Semper

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Looks like our webmaster forgot to put the quiz up on the new site.. I'll have to get him to get it back up.. It's about time to get a new one there anyway.. LOL!

David

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
10 Minutes Folks

WOO HOO

Semper

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

And this is the show I HAVE to miss.

Sigh.

Well, boys, I will be listening to hear all the fantastic tips!

BearTruth

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Budget bushcrafting and improvising is for me. The teachers called me a pack-rat when back in school days and my final decade or so of my career that I was on remote duty on an island my habit of never throwing anything away if it had the slightest potential of being useful would come in handy more times than I could count. Some old junk, a few old guitar strings, tape, zip ties, and a can of casting resin and there is not much I cannot construct or repair when needed. Add a few more commonly found bug-out items and that is what would be found stashed in the compartments of my otherwise pristine-looking SUV, ready for not infrequent excursions to the Mexican coastal areas where stores and facilities may be many miles away - more likely to find me under a palapa or in a beach cabaña in a small beach town than an all-inclusive tourist hotel in some popular resort location.

While it may be anti-climactic for the telling I am otherwise delighted to report that I have not had call to utilize these items in survival situations, so any stories regarding their use would be more fitting for a budget-homemaking and craft column instead and perhaps rather boring here. However, casting resin is a nice way to preserve the beauty and grandeur of a scorpion, colorful spider, or what-not into a belt buckle or gearshift knob and helps pass the time. A can of Raid helps make the subject easier to work with. Whether crafting a doo-dad, repairing something necessary, or perhaps constructing a valuable survival instrument it is prudent to mention here that casting resin can be made too brittle by mixing in too much catalyst but can otherwise be made very durable, so a little casual crafting with it is good experience to get familiar with its properties.

I never had reason to fashion a snare trap but doing such is in the back of my mind when saving old guitar strings after having watched many survival where such a wire device is placed along a rabbit trail to catch a meal by some stranded survivor awaiting rescue. Guitar strings are a very springy wire that could perhaps be used in making a bow device. Many uses possible.

I also carry in the SUV a couple packs of plastic drop cloth for painting. These unfold into huge sheets of light plastic that could be good for rain shelter or making a solar still. Again, fortunately, I have not had the occasion to utilize these in survival situations, though in my mind the most like scenario I would encounter to require such would times I might become stranded somewhere and need to fall back on these items - which to me seems more likely than having to deal with a zombie apocalypse scenario. A solar still is useful for capturing clean water where othewise sufficient amounts may not be present or apparent. It is also useful in cleansing or purifying water without need for a fire.

I would like to hear more on the show about dealing with various scenarios, when it is best to bug-out or hunker down, when to go for help or when to stay put and wait for rescue. Under what situations might it be best to grab the bug-out bag and leave the farm to head for the backwoods? Arm to the teeth and hold your own or form community with your neighbors, or as some posts suggest that for sake of family welfare loot, pillage, and plunder is the work of the day?

Big question: What to use when we run out of paper? Should we be hoarding and drying old corn cobs?

Thank you, Bushcraft crew. I appreciate your wisdom for all things survival.

edit on 29-3-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

top topics

join