It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How fast are we?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I would like to give you the answer to the following:

- You sit on your chair, reading ATS right now. Your speed in relation to the ground (earth): 0km/s.

- Earth is spinning. About 44.000km/24h at the equator = 0.463 km/s

- Earth is moving around the sun: About (2*Pi*149,000,000km)/8,760h = 29.75 km/s

- The solar system is moving around the center of the galaxy Milkyway: (2*Pi*25,000 ly)/220,000,000 years = 214 km/s

- The Milkyway is moving towards Andromeda, colliding in about 3 billion years: 2,500,000 ly/3,000,000,000 years = 250 km/s - this is the only real linear movement, although that might be a point for discussion as most of the above speeds are going considerably straight, too.

Is that it?

Are you sure?

Nnnnnoo-yes. At least we can tell how fast we are going compared to the non-moving cosmic microwave background. Which is about v = 627 ± 22 km/s. (Source).
edit on 28-3-2013 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-3-2013 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Imagine If it all stopped for a split second
how fast would we go then

Cheers OP always wondered about this S&F

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

We were going to fast sir, we past it.
So where are we?
We're in now sir
So where are they?
Then
When will then be now?
Soon.

Fun thread though. It's fun to think about things in our relative perspective. I like realizing that there is no such thing as up or down.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
When I was a kid I wondered why we couldn't just jump and when we landed, we would be in Russia or something. Tee Hee

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Nice post S&F, I think I speak for all men, When I wish that women were "faster".

edit on 28-3-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
On another thread someone mentioned that "everything" is moving at the speed of light, but we don't feel it because of relativity. Is this anywhere near the truth?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

The issue is one of standpoint ... where the hell is one viewing from?

Since we must stay within the current paradigm of modern cosmological science we have but two tools at our disposal.

Thanks Einstein!

We have General Relativity [GR] and that applies to all 1st person observers (aka Quantum Mechanical fundamental reason for even existing ... just like existence itself
) everwhere!

And we have Special Relativity [SR] and that applies to a special 3rd person standpoint.

Now which one is more valid and appropriate to discuss in regards to what the OP is asking would require a currently hidden variable called where the bloody hell are we supposed to look from?

Because if OL invokes GR then I never move ... everything relates and relvolves arournd me at the center [everywhere is also the center but that is deep cosmology ... google and wiki it for more info ... or just take my word for it] and so some of the the ancients greeks philosophers were correct on that issue!

Hence speed = zero! [note however I say nothing about carrying the energy of momentum, caused by universal inflation, which is a bigger issue than just you or me or anyone and or anything else unless one is counting in the entire whole of existence.]

However if I invoke SR and OOBE/Remote View/Imagine in my mindseye then I can view from anywhere I want to look from at all.

Hence my 'speed' @ that place, in my mindseye, in relation to some other place in the same time frame would be a moot point because it is only in my mind.

Personal Disclosure: The answer for both GR and SR is zero.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I don't know about you all, but I am faster than the speed of sound. My fingers are so fast you can't even see them.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This movement is what forms time. Not everything moves in the same direction so this forms frequencies that interact with each other. These frequencies indirectly form more mass or stars and planets. It makes the universe an interesting place

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

If it is believed that galaxies are moving away from us at an exponential rate, why isn't Andromeda increasing its speed toward us?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

If the galaxies are spreading apart why would you expect Andromeda to be coming closer?

Perhaps you could rephrase the question and include some references.

Drop exponential and maybe the first half is correct.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelAlanKeith
reply to post by jiggerj

If the galaxies are spreading apart why would you expect Andromeda to be coming closer?

Perhaps you could rephrase the question and include some references.

Drop exponential and maybe the first half is correct.

Sorry, I don't feel a need to reference what is already widely known. If you are curious, feel free to google "Andromeda on a crash course with the milky way', and, Galaxies are moving away from us. This is not my claim, it is what it is.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Hmmm, crazy drunk thought (the best kind of thought I might add).........based on the theory of relativity...

A lot of people, including myself, feel that time is speeding up, days, weeks, months, years, all seem to be going past at a faster rate. Some people put this down to getting old, yet younger people seem to be experiencing this themselves...

What if our speed through the universe has increased, or even decreased (not sure which way round it works), and that is affecting time as we know it?

Problem with that is, it is based on the observer, but there is much about the human mind we do not know, so....I'm going to pour another glass of port.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

With this in mind imagine you could find the reverse in direction and float / hover, now fly

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReluctantBlossom
When I was a kid I wondered why we couldn't just jump and when we landed, we would be in Russia or something. Tee Hee

top topics

join