It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plague of locusts infests impoverished Madagascar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Plague of locusts infests impoverished Madagascar

www.cnn.com

"It's like you are in a movie, it's incredible," said Alexandre Huynh of the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, or FAO, from the country's capital of Antananarivo. "You don't see anything except locusts. You turn around, there are locusts everywhere."
(visit the link for the full news article/ video of locust swarm)

edit on 28-3-2013 by doesntmakesense because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Sounds like something straight out of the book of Revelations. Truly some scary stuff to deal with, whether you believe it as apocalyptic or not. Locusts eat every food item in sight- not good for a country already dealing with poverty and recovering from a number of natural disasters. Crazy, crazy stuff!

(My bad if this has already been posted, did a search and found nothing as of yet)

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I think this might add something to your thread as well, Op.

A severe plague of locusts has infested about half of Madagascar, threatening crops and raising concerns about food shortages, a UN agency says. The UN's Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) said billions of the plant-devouring insects could cause hunger for 60% of the population. About $22m (£14.5m) was urgently needed to fight the plague in a country where many people are poor, the FAO added.

It was the worst plague to hit the island since the 1950s, the FAO said. FAO locust control expert Annie Monard told BBC Focus on Africa the plague posed a major threat to the Indian Ocean island. "The last one was in the 1950s and it had a duration of 17 years so if nothing is done it can last for five to 10 years, depending on the conditions," she said. Nearly 60% of the island's more than 22 million people could be threatened by a significant worsening of hunger” "Currently, about half the country is infested by hoppers and flying swarms - each swarm made up of billions of plant-devouring insects," the FAO said in a statement.

(Source: RSOE )

It's made the RSOE index as an ongoing event and Bio-Hazard for the description.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I'm gonna be the bad guy in this thread.

I was in Maddy last year and, I hate to say it, but they kinda deserve it.

OK, proceed with the condemnations and tut-tutting of ol' WallisWallis.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Just wanted to add that they have also arrived in Lebanon, but the local news here said, they are doing their best to terminate them. I didn't know they had this problem in Madagascar too.

I live in the city, in a very busy area, and actually saw a dead one on our balcony. My hubby showed it to me, and said :"That's what they were talking about on the news." How the hell and why would they also be in the city? They are disgusting looking little creatures.
edit on 28-3-2013 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

Taste good though fried

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
AT least their edible. Just pull off the wings and fry'em up!. Could be a LOT worse, could be raining fire! So is this a wake up call or can I go back to work...my BOB is ready.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by walliswallis
I'm gonna be the bad guy in this thread.

I was in Maddy last year and, I hate to say it, but they kinda deserve it.

So what did they do so wrong?

top topics

join