It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge sinkhole in southern China city kills worker

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Huge sinkhole in southern China city kills worker

behindthewall.nbcnews.com

A massive sinkhole opened up Wednesday in the southern city of Shenzhen, wreaking havoc at a residential compound and killing one. The sinkhole, reportedly 16.5 feet in diameter and four-floors deep, swallowed up a 25-year-old security guard working in the tower. Rescue workers were able to reach the guard and take him to a nearby hospital, but he died soon after.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.businessinsider.com
www.youtube.com
www.ibtimes.co.uk
gawker.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Sinkhole Watch 2013
Sinkhole Swallows Man In Bedroom

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Another death from a sinkhole, this time in China where sinkholes are quite common and they're also very massive. This sinkhole was caught on CCTV. The hole collapses to four-stories in depth. These two deaths, last month in Florida and now in China, are the first two deaths that I can recall. I've done a search for deaths by sinkhole and they are extremely rare. Last year a girl died when her family drove into a sinkhole that was already there. These two sinkhole deaths are different, these are holes that collapsed underneath a person who least expected. Very scary and I might add these sinkholes are happening way too often lately.

behindthewall.nbcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27-3-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
S&F
It makes one wonder the causes of the sudden emergence and frequency of sink holes. Could it be glacial rebounding? Or is the expanding Earth theory right? Or is fracking the culprit? Me personally, I think it's one of those if not a combo of two of them.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I've been arguing till I'm blue in the face about my theory on dangerous gases in my signature. Either way, I think it's something to do with earth crust displacement. I believe it has to do with the increase in sinkholes, quakes, volcanoes and land cracks like these...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Although there are some here who will tell you there's nothing wrong and this is all common.

Hey, people have always died in sinkholes, we just have better news coverage now.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Yes. I like that. But, what then is causing the release of these gasses? IMO it's a domino effect of sorts. Something is definitely mucking up the crust, undoubtedly. I'm a firm believer in the Glacial Rebound theory because I think that it fits in the puzzle rather nicely.
edit on 27-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
hmmmmmmmmmmmm?
How about the interior of earth may be getting warmer causing some expansion as well as more fluidity in the mantle....
This allows the earth to sink or rise depending on local conditions?
Like fluctuating gravitic influences of the planetary bodies, or the movement of sub surface strata due to these forces....
Or the earth could really BE hollow.....

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Touche`. Or, lack of fluids and fluidity from oil drilling to fracking to natural gas extractions.
I also like to entertain the thought of a hollow Earth.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Another death from a sinkhole, this time in China where sinkholes are quite common and they're also very massive.
Yup. China is not known for the quality of its construction and infrastructure.

China's megacities are developing a growing number of sinkholes and experts say a combination of aging water pipe networks and underground infrastructure projects are raising the risk of sinkhole disasters
english.caixin.com...

With an aging underground infrastructure and the influence of other factors such as population growth, tighter health and environmental requirements, inadequate inspection and maintenance, and lack of consistency and uniformity in design, construction and operation practices, the performances of underground infrastructure is in very serious condition.

cedb.asce.org...

edit on 3/27/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Just think if this guys life was filled with this kind of luck? The ground beneath this guy gave way and now he's dead.

That's just wrong.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Sad.
But he could have been hit by a bus that afternoon if the hole didn't get him.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Like someone else said.. the earth is expanding. Sinkholes to me are the same effect you get when you pull a loaf of bread apart.. as its tearing at the crust, small holes open up.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Just to be sure.
The ground opened up and killed this poor man ?
It's still just wrong.

How many people in China ?
edit on 27-3-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Damnit Phage! come to crash the party

That is all

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I remember reading an article that stated that a big section of china was sitting on a plate that was overhanging the ocean. If this were to break off a big chunk would sink into the ocean. This could make sinkholes a problem. The article didn't say exactly where this area was, I wonder if this was above this area?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Another death from a sinkhole, this time in China where sinkholes are quite common and they're also very massive.
Yup. China is not known for the quality of its construction and infrastructure.

China's megacities are developing a growing number of sinkholes and experts say a combination of aging water pipe networks and underground infrastructure projects are raising the risk of sinkhole disasters
english.caixin.com...

With an aging underground infrastructure and the influence of other factors such as population growth, tighter health and environmental requirements, inadequate inspection and maintenance, and lack of consistency and uniformity in design, construction and operation practices, the performances of underground infrastructure is in very serious condition.

cedb.asce.org...

Have you seen the videos on China sinkholes (of course you have)? Have you seen the size of those sinkholes over there (of course you have)? Are you going to now tell us all that they are water main breaks (of course you are)? And now population growth is going to become a concern in China, lol. I think that's been long overdue.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
What don't these sinkholes appear under the Whitehouse, Fed Bank and Capitol Hill?

Oh please God! Please!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Are you going to now tell us all that they are water main breaks (of course you are)?
No. Underground infrastructure is not just water mains. It's also sewer lines and storm drains. Natural gas lines too (they can leak and cause explosions). And, oh yes...

Beijing's underground infrastructure is dominated by the presence of bomb shelters beneath the city. Researcher Ma Zhifei, of the Beijing Institute of Geology, said there are an estimated 20,000 shelters in the capital. Poor maintenance of the facilities contributes to the increasing number of sinkholes.

english.caixin.com...

But it's no way it's any of that. Can't be. Right?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

According to local authorities, the main reason for the cave-ins is the number of coalmines in the area.

news.uk.msn.com...
But the local authorities are lying. It's methane!

And look at that. It's full of water. Amazing.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Oh yeah, how silly of me. Government would never lie to us!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join