Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Any tips for dealing with high fever (40 °C+; 104 °F+)

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Managed to get some cold and caught a strong tonsillitis.

Aspirine or Paracetamol only take it back to 39 °C (102,2°F)

Going to the doctors tomorrow, although I need to get by tonight. Can not sleep at all:/ Any tips that would help me feel better and lower the fever more?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

A cold bath, or a luke warm shower might help...

Drink lots of cold water to help cool from the inside...

Nyquil before bed... or a few shots of tequila...

Maybe a beer or two... beer always helps when im sick...

Beers is also a Canadian past time so, maybe that won't help...

Good luck... 104 is a dangerous temperature...
edit on 27-3-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Be careful with anything that changes body temperature as it can be dangerous and damaging to the body. You can take some Ibuprofen in addition to the acetaminophen.

Swollen tonsils that are not painful or do not cause other problems do not need to be treated. Your health care provider may not give you antibiotics. You may be asked to come back for a check up later.

If tests show you do have strep, your doctor will give you antibiotics. It is important to finish all of your antibiotics as directed by your doctor, even if you feel better. If you do not take them all, the infection can return.

The following tips may help your throat feel better:

Drink cold liquids or suck on popsicles

Drink fluids, especially warm (not hot), bland fluids

Gargle with warm salt water

Suck on lozenges (containing benzocaine or similar ingredients) to reduce pain (these should not be used in young children because of the choking risk)

Take over-the-counter medications, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen to reduce pain and fever. Do NOT give a child aspirin. Aspirin has been linked to Reye syndrome.

Some people who have repeated infections may need surgery to remove the tonsils (tonsillectomy).

Source

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Here's a link that should help you.
Hope you feel better soon.

www.wikihow.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Try advil I guess (ibuprofen).. If it gets really bad, very cold bath

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Wrap yourself in cold wet towels, around your torso and your elbow joints and knee joints, be sure to make a note whatever medication you take if your waiting to go to the doctor tomorrow., but I would strongly advise getting treatment now, my son had a temp. of 40c a few weeks ago, then went into seizure! Not trying to scare you byt at least if your waiting to tomorrow don`t be alone. Get well soon.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

Very cold baths should be avoided, as it lowers the body's core temperature too much.
Like someone above said, have a lukewarm bath or shower.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

A fever is your body's way of fighting an infection. In extreme cases it is correct to lower it. Drink plenty of fluids and make sure you rest. Good luck at the doctors tomorrow

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
All of the above replies are excellent. The main things you want to concentrate on are keeping your body temp down and keeping your body hydrated. Until you can see a doctor to get that infection under control.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'm sorry to be so simple, but go to the doctor. 104 degrees is only 4 degree's away from death. Go get help and God bless you,

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Hope you are not alone in case of passing out or siezure! Definitly no bath if alone. Cool moist compresses. Tylenol or Motrin. If no relief, move to ice packs for head, neck, armpits, groin. 104 sounds like Strep throat. You need to see a doctor as soon as you can, especially if you cannot get any relief from the fever.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yes, do not cool yourself too quickly. They used to say a cold bath but a warm bath would be good too. Water sucks heat away like a sponge.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
chug an ice cold gatorade with a double dose of advil.
then chug another.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
104 is a SERIOUS temp for an adult....or child but worse for an adult.
Do not fool around.....if your temp wont drop past 102 or so you ARE ill.....

drink lots....see a doc soonest....
take two asprins and call us in the morning....

No need to worry well email the bill.....get well soon

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
104 degrees? Thats life threatening...and you made an APPOINTMENT to see the DOCTOR? You should have gone immediately to an Emergency Room or Hospital Urgent CARE.

High fevers are nothing to mess with! Get to that doctor/ER NOW if you havent already. Good Luck...

MS (EMT/ERT)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Ok, I know it will sound weird, but I'm an acupuncturist, and do this all the time. My family does not take any medication for high fever.

Do the following:

Prick with a lancet both thumbs like a Diabetic will do. Let blood trickle out. The theory is that the heat will be release by the bleeding, do this for a few minutes. if the heat has not subside then prick the Index finger.

These are the two points for high fever, do a google research so you can see hwere they are located and what they do... Remember the most important thing is to allowed the blood to drip out...

Point on the thumb: LU-11
Point on the index finger: LI-1

Hope this helps...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
DO NOT go from high high temp to a cold cold bath.
That can cause seizures. Call your doctor for advice ....

What I did for my daughter at 105 ...
Motrin. COOL shower. Open windows with fresh air breeze. very light clothing.
No blankets. ice packs on certain points of the body ... behind the neck, behind the knees, wrists ...
drank lots of refridgerated water.

AND I called the doctor.

Temp of 104 isn't a 'cold' ... it's probably the flu ....

edit on 3/28/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
My daughter had a high fever when she was a toddler, when we were out in the country. My husband gave her a dose of children's Advil and Tylenol at the same time. They work differently in the body, so it's safe to do that. We used cold towels on her body and gave her watered down cold juice. Her temp went down within 15 minutes to a more manageable level.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Cabin? Are you still with us? Hope you are better!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magister
reply to post by Cabin

Cabin? Are you still with us? Hope you are better!

Yes,

Thank you all for your advice

On Thursday I went to doctor . He told me, I had less than half an inch of room in my throat for air, as the tonsils had swollen that much. He prescribed me some antibiotics, I had never tried before (not pills, but water-soluble, drink the water, then do not drink anything for 20 minutes) and so far they have worked like magic
Yesterday had a small fever all day and so far today (Saturday) having no fever
edit on 30-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)
edit on 30-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join