It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the State be held guilty of Polygamy???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
With all of the marriage issues being talked about, I have a very serious question!

Common Law Marriage!

Most states have laws where if you have lived together long enough, (male/female) that the State deems you married whether or not you got married or not!

So with that being said, if you lived with two or three people of the opposite sex, would the State Law in fact indict itself of Polygamy???

I hate laws! We have WAY TOO MANY! So what say you ATS? Is this not a contradiction in the law that our lawmakers make?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Nope...even Common Law Marriage has rules...

(which is good, because under your definition, I live with two women, so I'd be a polygamist!)

Following (usual) conditions (for most states that recognize it)....(few do)....

Both parties must freely consent to the marriage
Both parties must be of legal age to contract a marriage or have parental consent to marry
Neither party may be under a disability that prevents him or her from entering into a valid marriage - e.g. they must both be of sound mind, neither of them can be currently married, and some jurisdictions do not permit prisoners to marry.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Ahhhhhh, I guess if I wasn't so lazy I could have looked that up!

So basically, the couple living together has to acknowledge somehow that they are married without actually getting married? I understand what you posted, but hmmmmmm, I am going to do some more research on this one....

Thanks!

new topics

join