It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If homosexual marriage is a Right, why can't I have multiple wives? (Being Serious NO CAT TALK)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Why limit your marriage to multiple wives. Next you will want to include your pets and livestock.

If you're talking about 'legal benefits' here, I do think that pets and livestock should count as "dependents" for tax purposes!

As for multiple wives? Whatever...I don't care if people want to. I know polygamous couples/groups (quite a few, actually)
but like many have already said, isn't one spouse hard enough to deal with, as well as some mothers-in-law?

Interesting thread, though.
Good points made all around.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Swing80s

As far as I am concerned you can have as many wives as you would like- that is if you can afford them. I don't want my tax dollars paying for your 112 kids. Other than that it's not my business.

Yep, this. As a Libertarian I say you can have as many marriage partners (gay or straight) and children as you wish, as long as it doesn't infringe on my rights, especially financially.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
First of all, OP, Mormons don't practice polygamy and haven't for over 100 years. Mormons are generally disgusted with the notion of polygamy and would be excommunicated if they were polygamists. Now that we have that out of the way....

The Federal Government should not be in the business of Marriage and never should have been. Expanding or redefining marriage simply expands or redefines the problem, it doesn't solve it. Solving it would be to remove the word "marriage" from all legal documents.

The Gov should be in the business of recognizing contracts and that's it. It doesn't matter what they are labeled.

Penn Jillette tells a really interesting story. As a devout Atheist, he personally feels Marriage is a religious thing. So he did not want to be married for that reason. He and his female partner had kids and he wanted the same legal protections that married couples have so he hired lawyers to find a legal way to get all the "benefits" of a marriage without getting married. The result? It can't be done. THAT is the real problem concerning this whole subject.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm totally ok with Polygamy. Who people wanna love, and how many they wanna love is absolutely none of my business. Nor is it any of yours or the government's.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hey, if you want multiple wives than that's fine by me, as long as women are able to have multiple husbands at the same time. Polygamy isn't for me, but it's none of my business if other people are happily engaging in it.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I totally agree with you.

I do wonder why someone would want more than 1 wife.....1 headaches enoughn

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The problem with marriage is that it has become a state institution (which people gain benefits from the government by marrying) rather than what it used to be which is a religious institution. This is the REAL issue with gay marriage but since Christians and others religious groups allowed the governments to change it, we get to deal with this until it is changed in homosexuals favor. Our so called preachers and leaders have led their flocks in the wrong direction instead of standing up to government and telling us the truth. I would suggest that the reason this is so is because churches dont want to lose their 501-c3 benefits as a nonprofit. As for multiple marriages, I dont agree with it but I dont think it matters anymore. This world is ragged out and misled.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I believe they should make divorce illegal and that if you choose incorrectly .TOO BAD. you cant even legally separate...TILL DEATH DO YOU PART

plus make screwing around on your partner a death sentence.

make all laws a death sentence

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I don't forbid that to you... My blessing

Are you Mormon?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Contracts between two parties are very different than contracts between multiple parties.

Attempting to apply current marriage, and divorce, laws to plural marriages would raise a range of equal protection problems. It seems unlikely it could be constitutional for this reason.

And attempting to create a separate set of laws for plural marriage would raise other equal protection problems. Forcing you into the same problem.

Since protection of the individual is such a paramount concern in the Constitution it seems unlikely you could craft a form a plural marriage that would pass constitutional muster.

In all likelihood, you'd need to amend the constitution. And it seems highly unlikely, absent some bizarre new conditions, that this would ever happen.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I totally agree - polygamy and polyandry should be legal. There is nothing wrong with either of these types of marriages, other than that they may rub certain 'progressive' types the wrong way. And lets face it, what we perceive as progress or 'liberal' is generally some bs Hollywood made up.
Btw, I'm part of the 'progressive' bunch. I just think that too many of us lose sight of what being progressive actually is.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s
You wanted me to be serious, now I'm being serious since my OP got moved to the trash. If homosexual marriage is a US right, or SHOULD be a US right according to some. Why can't marriage between multiple consenting adults be legal? Why would I, or Mormons, or whoever, be they individuals, a religion, or a community have to move to Mexico or Canada to practicae polygamy? If we are going to break down the original institution of marriage then why can't I have sister wives in all seriousness? If I can care and provide for them, then why should it be illegal because my same rights are being violated as the rights of homosexuals that want to get married.

A man having more than one wife was accepted in the Old Testament, and only restricted to the office of an Elder in the New Testament. Only Federal and State laws prohibit a man having more than one wife. But before anyone goes crazy thinking there's any advantage to having more than one wife, consider also that in the Old Testament there were marriage laws that gave the wives rights they could and did demand upon their husband. Being a husband was not about sex as much as it was about genealogy and family strength. The husband had to provide for and care for his wife, or wives in everything, and mostly he was just a glorified slave with certain occasional benefits. Marriage is more than sex, it is about love, commitment, unity, and support in all things. Love is not sex, and those who marry for sex often get divorced after the sexual fantasies subside and the infatuation simmers. Love however, is eternal, if you are marrying for love.

Homosexual relations is a sin according to the Bible and a hateful thing to God. Therefore, to call it marriage would not actually make it a marriage because it can't be sanctified by God, who is the third party to any marriage. Society might think it is but Christians would never say that it was. Those that actually follow what the Bible says anyway. They could call it a "friendship union" or maybe "civil union" but that's all it is anyway.

edit on 28-3-2013 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
To the OP, I'm sure it's more in jest..but have you actually been in a poly amorous relationship? Sounds like great fun to most, and it is, for the fun stuff...but for the relationship stuff...man, you have to try and not upset TWO women (or more) at the same time...it's tough. You could be a-ok with one, on the outs with another.... You have to be one laid-back kind of guy, and also a great listener, and seriously know when to just shut up...

No thanks, I'm happy just being married to one great woman, with some occasional play time with another. Handling two (or more) full-blown relationships like that? I think I'd kill myself....

I totally agree - polygamy and polyandry should be legal.

Legal or not, there are many who simply LIVE that way, and to them, it's real enough...just as there are many gays who live as spouses, whether legal or not. And, there are legal ways around it, to get same benefits, etc. Also, some companies even allow for it (such as them putting their "spouse" on their insurance, etc.)
edit on 28-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Our country has a serious infatuation with corruption and vice. Oddly enough, the Bible disapproves of homosexual relationships but seems to give an ok to polygamy. Oddly enough, our country is all into homosexuality while denying to others what is a biblical right to polygamy. Viewed this way, our country has a Satanic infatuation and is anti-Christian.

My [their] lifestyle determines my [their] deathstyle.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
OP - Not to troll, but I don't see the logic in your question. They're not asking to have multiple husbands, only one. How does that relate to a heterosexual wanting polygamy?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

Originally posted by Swing80s
You wanted me to be serious, now I'm being serious since my OP got moved to the trash. If homosexual marriage is a US right, or SHOULD be a US right according to some. Why can't marriage between multiple consenting adults be legal? Why would I, or Mormons, or whoever, be they individuals, a religion, or a community have to move to Mexico or Canada to practicae polygamy? If we are going to break down the original institution of marriage then why can't I have sister wives in all seriousness? If I can care and provide for them, then why should it be illegal because my same rights are being violated as the rights of homosexuals that want to get married.

A man having more than one wife was accepted in the Old Testament, and only restricted to the office of an Elder in the New Testament. Only Federal and State laws prohibit a man having more than one wife. But before anyone goes crazy thinking there's any advantage to having more than one wife, consider also that in the Old Testament there were marriage laws that gave the wives rights they could and did demand upon their husband. Being a husband was not about sex as much as it was about genealogy and family strength. The husband had to provide for and care for his wife, or wives in everything, and mostly he was just a glorified slave with certain occasional benefits. Marriage is more than sex, it is about love, commitment, unity, and support in all things. Love is not sex, and those who marry for sex often get divorced after the sexual fantasies subside and the infatuation simmers. Love however, is eternal, if you are marrying for love.

Homosexual relations is a sin according to the Bible and a hateful thing to God. Therefore, to call it marriage would not actually make it a marriage because it can't be sanctified by God, who is the third party to any marriage. Society might think it is but Christians would never say that it was. Those that actually follow what the Bible says anyway. They could call it a "friendship union" or maybe "civil union" but that's all it is anyway.

edit on 28-3-2013 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

Not pointed at you, comentary - So, going by the bible's "logic", the wild animals in the link below are sinners and they're behavior is hateful to god... lol

Gay Animals In The Wild - Livescience

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye

You can have as many partners as you want right now. There is nothing against the law about having multiple sex partners.

Technically you can enter into spiritual marriage with them as well (I think that is still against the law in Utah though for political reasons).

Your multiple wives would just not have the same legal benefits, because the legal benefits only effect two individuals.

Then the same applies for homosexuals... They can do it as much as they want, they can go into "Spiritually" but will not get the same legal benefits.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

First let me just say gay marriage should be nobodies business but the concerned parties. As for polygamy, the same should applies. Unfortunately people like to stick their noses in others business...no pun intended, well maybe a little
People care way too much about gays getting married but when Obama passed the Monsanto Protection Act you hardly hear anything about it. Talk about being disconnected from reality. Religious and political propaganda, I believe, has a lot to do with it. What people really need to ask themselves is; "does this truly affect the way I live my life?" Most of the time is a big fat resounding NO.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
No problem here, as long as all my wives are surgeons, I'll stay home and take care of the kids.

Multiple wives means multiple responsibilities, but if people can deal with it more power to them.

edit on 28-3-2013 by HerbalJunkie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So long as it is between consenting adults and not some religious nonsense that has been drilled into little girls heads that that is how they are supposed to do things then great, do whatcha want! Or if someone wants to have multiple husbands, although I can't imagine such a thing! LMAO

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join