It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed Kan. bill calls for HIV positive people to be quarantined

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Common sense is common sense.

If somebody saves your life, and is exposed to your blood, why wouldn't you let them get tested for communicable diseases regardless?

With each child I was asked if I wanted an HIV test, and I said yes. I'm a nurse. I deal with sick people of all types of communicable diseases and I have to be extremely careful, to keep myself healthy so that my family is healthy. So when the doc said did I want it, common sense tells you to get checked. I'm responsible for the health of not only myself, but for my children, and any patients that I take care of in my profession.

Common sense tells you that if you are sick with the flu you stay home and quarantine yourself. No one should tell you, you have to do it. You should already know not to go out and spread it. Because you don't know if the lady next to you in the grocery line is fighting cancer and has a weakened immune system. She's divorced, alone, parents passed away. She has to take care of herself. But because you couldn't stay home while you were sick, she now has the flu, and with her weakened immune system she is now in ICU, fighting for her life. Get it yet?

Peace,
Cirque

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It is waste of time and tax dollars. It is pathetic that it has come to this.

But what is Both interesting and terrifying though is that article mentions nothing about what they will do if the person is infected.
What if it turns out that the possible infection is Not HIV but rather Mad Cow Disease? What do they do then, take the poor soul out back and shoot them like an old mad cow?

I personally think that with where Our country is headed now that there is a good likelihood that we are going to start seeing Epic stupidity from Our Government on a Daily basis.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

We're already there with the epic stupidity. You are right in the sense that it's going to get worse, unfortunately.
This is a conundrum that I'm glad I have no part in, needless to say.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I think this bill was passed 1, to send a message to the Supreme Court regarding same sex marriage; and 2, to set precedent for other states to do the same thing. Geeze this is bad.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Zaphod58

They have a law on the books from the 1980s that make it illegal to quarantine people with HIV/AIDS. So that loophole is non existent in this current law.

Kansas Legislature - House Bill 2183

The link above is to the actual overview page for 2183.

Unless I read this wrong, the bill you're describing has been updated.

Substitute for HOUSE BILL No. 2183 ...The secretary of health and environment is authorized to issue such orders and adopt rules and regulations as may be necessary to prevent the spread and dissemination of diseases injurious to the public health, including, but not limited to, providing for the testing for such diseases and the isolation and quarantine of persons afflicted with or exposed to such diseases... www.kslegislature.org...

edit on 28-3-2013 by On the Edge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

While most laws are written with the best of intentions, the reality is that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. They should have done a bit more studies and then been a bit more vague about what diseases that they would require such and ultimately wrote the guidelines into the law itself as to how far the person in charge can go and the limits on their authority. There is no such limits written into the law, it is all discretionary. And that is the problems with this law.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

This bill would repeal the previous bill, which would open the loophole again.

Under the proposal -- which has passed the Republican-controlled state House of Representatives and is pending in the Republican-controlled state Senate -- the power to issue any public health quarantine, as necessary, would shift to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. In the process, the bill would restore AIDS "or any causative agent" to the category of infectious diseases that might constitute the basis for quarantine or isolation.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

What does common sense have to do with politics?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
This is where political correctness bites us in the hind parts yet again. It is a disease, not a social issue. It should be treated as the communicable, incurable disease that it is. If we would have done quarantines decades ago, it might have died out or at least be much less prevalent. Africa might not be heading for total depopulation the way it is currently. It is a deadly, incurable, communicable disease. It should be treated as such.

Its not incurable, don't spread disinformation. The drugs from India have been proven viable to counter-act all effects of the disease, to the point of an individual no longer considered a communicable source of the disease and can sexually socialize even with non-HIV carriers.

Originally posted by kimish

I'm sorry but comparing the flu or chicken pox to HIV/AIDS is like comparing apples to bananas. The first two are almost non lethal where the last two are almost a certain death sentence.

On topic: I think that only aggressive or at risk individuals with the disease(s) should be quarantined. You never know when somebody will get mad and spit or spray any bodily fluids on food at the grocery store or purposely taint something with infected fluids of any kind.
edit on 27-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

Another example of not knowing the basics. Bodily fluids is a general term. Too general. It needs to be blood or sperm, and in significant quantities of both, and they need to go deep inside your body. Unless you have sex with that individual, or open wounds where the blood or sperm can land, then you are at no risk. Saliva is not dangerous.

HIV is not a death sentence. If you are only a carrier and live a healthier lifestyle after contraction, you can't contaminate anyone.
edit on 28-3-2013 by Basqiat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I can understand the testing of people if a rescue worker is exposed to a lot of blood in their line of work; that's personal safety and it can take a fairly long time for something like HIV to show up in blood tests (although surely just giving them better protective clothing would be easier). But allowing the quarantine of someone with it doesn't sit right with me. Quarantine until when? Until it clears up? Well, it doesn't. It can be halted to an extent, but not cured. Well, not yet in adults anyway. I'm sure it will eventually, though. Do they want these people to live under quarantine for the rest of their life? And what about the people who work in the institution? Do they have to wear protective body suits in case someone gets annoyed and cuts themself in the hope that they pass on the disease because of the unfair treatment? Will they then have to be quarantined until they are able to be tested? What if it was just a small amount and didn't enter the bloodstream? Would they keep them in just to be sure that they aren't a so-called "risk to the public"?

Nah, this doesn't sit right with me. It's a crazy idea.
edit on 28/3/2013 by Ayana because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Proposed Kan. bill calls for HIV positive people to be quarantined

fox4kc.com

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — In an effort to protect the public from infectious diseases, a proposed bill in Kansas has some feeling ostracized. That’s because the bill allows people with HIV or AIDS to be quarantined.
Right now, if a firefighter or a paramedic in Kansas is exposed to bodily fluids while treating a victim, they need a court order to get that victim’s blood tested for infectious diseases. But lawmakers are close to passing a new law eliminating that court order. Some, though, say the new law discriminates against those who have HIV or AIDS. That’s because lawmakers have written
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gaystarnews.com

If you read my posts about my dreams. I had a dream about a lottery in the US where people would be accepted or turned away from an underground bunker just before a massive earthquake and volcano warning.

They had machines and were scanning people. People who had aids or STDs or non proper blood type were turns And made to walk out where they would die like everyone else on the surface.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
On one hand, it is discrimination against people with AIDS.

Although, what is actually quarantine? Isolation of people with certain disease in order to stop the spread of it.

When a person is diagnosed with AIDS, how can they assure that they will not sleep with anyone who does not have AIDS or will never have children again? Who can take the person by his/her words that he/she will not spread the disease? I have seen several people who have AIDS and continue sleeping around. I have even called a police for one idiot like that.

AIDS is not a genetic disease (unless an irresponsible mother decided to have a baby), it is only spreaded from person to person (or needles, other ways of blood). On most cases the person with AIDS is solely responsible for it. Only they can decide whether they inject the needle, whether they sleep with somebody without knowing anything about them or any other similar reason. The only way to stop the spread is either a) invent cure b)isolate people with AIDS

top topics

<< 1   >>

join