It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Click, Print, Gun: The Inside Story of the 3D-Printed Gun Movement (and outlawing Gubbmint laws?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Let's play a fantasy game.

What if technology made you smarter than the Gubbmint?

Would the Gubbmint wipe you out? Make you disappear?

What if the next multi-billionaire super whiz 'Zuckerberg' type kid is Cody R. Wilson, a Texas college student?

What if you could eventually 3D Print your own Prius Automobile, a couple of solar panels, a solar windmill?

What if the day comes you could 3D Print just about everything you can find in a Walmart, today? Including ammunition....which you can't seem to find in a Walmart, today.

What if you could 3D Print your individual fantasy girl friend?

Oh, stop....I'm getting carried away. And you might get too involved in kinky fantasy and forget how to be paranoid of 3D Printing Technology of the Near Future.

Click, Print, Gun: The Inside Story of the 3D-Printed Gun Movement (and outlawing Gubbmint laws?)

erinleecarr.com...

What's the story about Mark Zuckerberg becoming one of the wealthiest of individuals in the world? Oh, yeah. He tinkered around with technology until 'facebook' was created.

Makes you wonder whether Cody R. Wilson is on his way to becoming another fabulously wealthy individual. Wilson is a 25-year-old University of Texas law student working to build semiautomatic weapons using 3D printers.

But honestly, 3D printing is NOT just about making an AR 15 in the comfort of your home workplace. This is a technology that potentially can create most anything. Maybe an android prostitute. Anything the Gubbmint outlaws, the citizen can create. Albeit, Cody R. Wilson is making himself known in the business world by making AR 15s.

"Printing a lower receiver takes seven hours, but there is something particularly ominous about seeing the ARS plastic begin to take shape as the lower receiver is born. Whatever your thoughts on gun control, it’s impossible to deny that the 3D-printed gun movement is something that doesn’t fit into the current legal framework. It’s either exciting or scary–or perhaps both–and that polarity is something Wilson recognizes, and which he knows how to bend to his advantage. It all made for a rather confusing week in Texas, during which we were often alone with just Wilson, who appears to have few distractions outside of his work with Defense Distributed. He’s created his own world in this mission, where friends or law school grades take a backseat to the message."

Hey, want to 3D print a motorcycle to affix your AR 15 to the handle bars? That may not be such a far fetched dream. The 3D Printing technology is new and experimenting. Here is a video how to print a bicycle. Add a motor and you've got a motorcycle. You've already got your printed AR 15. Right? And you've got your printed android prostitute to ride on the back of your bike. Right?

What's that signpost up ahead? You've entered the Twilight Zone?

Printing a bicycle with a 3D printer
www.youtube.com...

Superstar Brad Pitt shows interest in the 3D Printing of wheeled vehicles.
For the premiere of Moneyball, Quirky reinvents the bicycle in just 24 hours - in front of a live audience, using their team of top designers and a little help from the Objet Connex multi-material 3D

Brad Pitt checks out a new bike design - built using 3D printing!
www.youtube.com...

Want to 3D Print the tools to attach your AR 15 to your motorcycle?

Printing a Giant Wrench with a 3D Printer
www.youtube.com...

How good is the 3D Printer getting to be?

3D Printed Semi-Automatic AR-15 GUN can FIRE off 600 ROUNDS of BULLETS
www.youtube.com...

What about the potential consumer? Who owns or wants an AR 15?

"I OWN AN AR-15!" Senator Lindsey Graham
www.youtube.com...

And last but not least:
NBC Admits No Assault Rifle Used At Sandy Hook-Obama beating a dead horse
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by coltcall

Your use of the word "Gubmint" is annoying, otherwise very interesting thread.

I wonder how far along until we can 3D print grenades, shoulder fired rockets, or even stinger missiles?
This has the potential to escalate completely out of hand.

I'm excited.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by coltcall

3D printers are the next step in our evolution.

Need a part or your AC?

Just print one out.

Want a firearm?

Just print one out.

Need a new spatula?

Just. . .

If I were in retail, I'd jump quickly!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

And now you've just happened into the next sticky wicket. Not only will the Internet of the future be based upon a pay for used bandwidth model - but now we will be able to add even more of a cost upon the consumer to get basic goods.

Today I can walk into Wal Mart and pick up a cheap wrench for a few bucks. One day I'll be able to log onto Wal Mart.com, paying for each Kb that the transaction requires, so that I can purchase a one time use 3D template for a wrench and then install that into my high dollar 3D printer.

Factories will fall silent and the folks in India will have yet another boom in their economy - handling all of the 3D printer tech support calls.

It's going to be a Brave New World...

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
In one video I saw online about the possible future of 3D printing was eventually they want to be able to use human cells to build organs.. If you need a transplant, they would use your own dna to build a functioning organ. This is probably a long ways away but still a really cool concept

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by beezzer

And now you've just happened into the next sticky wicket. Not only will the Internet of the future be based upon a pay for used bandwidth model - but now we will be able to add even more of a cost upon the consumer to get basic goods.

Today I can walk into Wal Mart and pick up a cheap wrench for a few bucks. One day I'll be able to log onto Wal Mart.com, paying for each Kb that the transaction requires, so that I can purchase a one time use 3D template for a wrench and then install that into my high dollar 3D printer.

Factories will fall silent and the folks in India will have yet another boom in their economy - handling all of the 3D printer tech support calls.

Think Star Trek.

We'll have our own personal replicators.

I, being a plain joe, provide a free template of that wrench. You might being paying a download fee, but the free market has to exist somehow.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Can you 3D Print the equipment necessary to operate a hydroponic marijuana garden in your garage? Complete with a couple of solar powered generators so that the police can't determine that you are using an inordinate amount of electricity?

3D Printing must be working.

How do I know?

People are already complaining about the technology as if it has gone askew.

Now we’re not familiar with gun laws, so we’re wondering just how legal this is. Can you print your own guns at home? Or is there no legislation to address this since, well, no one figured it could be done?
www.ohgizmo.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by beezzer

I can see it all now. Hindi owned convenient stores across the American landscape will offer backroom 3D Printing options.

Go to your convenient store to customize your 32 ounce soda in New York City?

3D Print Reincarnation?

How to assemble a 3D Printer.....
Printing in Plastic is aimed at creative people comfortable using power tools, such as a table saw, circular saw, drill press, and so forth. The book is aimed at those who want to create and fabricate tangible objects from plastic. Crafters, carpenters, electronics hobbyists, and others comfortable working with their hands will find the instructions easy to follow and the projects rewarding.
Read more at ebookee.org...

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
In one video I saw online about the possible future of 3D printing was eventually they want to be able to use human cells to build organs.. If you need a transplant, they would use your own dna to build a functioning organ. This is probably a long ways away but still a really cool concept

Ah, technological age.; It's happening faster than we can adapt to the changes.

Printing a human ear

used 3D scanner to scan the patient’s ear and then the data was sent to the 3D printer. Using processed starch the printer laid down material in layers and completed the printing job in just an one hour. This 1:1 ear is for doctors to better communication with the patient before his surgery, to explain the surgery program and the treatment.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
If it is possible to 3D Print working human organs....then it is possible to 3D Print a taser.

Dr. Anthony Atala turned a few heads at this year’s TED conference with his talk about a revolutionary new technology: a 3D printer that can actually print working human organs. Contrary to some early news reports, the kidney he printed on stage wasn’t functional (it was more like a mold without any internal structures), but printing human tissue out of a machine is still pretty amazing.
utopianist.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
AR 15 schematic
www.midwayusa.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
And just about time you think you're getting accustomed to the technology of 3D Printing....

Along comes 4D Printing from MIT.....

Yep....there goes the old assembly line as objects create themselves.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Self Assembly using the Fourth Dimension of Time....

Are you wondering why American manufacturing jobs have been outsourced to China? The answer is basic: the assembly line is becoming obsolete in future America.

You were just becoming accustomed to the idea of building your own AR 15 rifle through 3D Printing technology...and already 4D Printing comes along. Your AR 15 rifle self assembles itself.

Talk about taking the wires out of robotics, heh?

As part of Institute for the Future's research project on what we're calling "The Coming Age of Networked Matter," we've looked at progress around programmable materials that can morph and self-assemble. MIT professor and TED fellow Skylar Tibbits is pushing on this idea with what he dubbed "4D printing, where the fourth dimension is time," meaning that the printed objects change shape over a certain period. (Thanks, Jake Dunagan!)

boingboing.net...

The Coming Age of Networked Matter

Mar 28, 2013 By Nicole Tindall

Today, we live in a highly networked world. An astounding array of everyday objects—from food to furniture, buildings to bodies, cars to cities—are becoming connected and interconnected across scales. But imagine moving beyond the even most grandiose visions of an "Internet of Things” toward a tapestry of networked matter: systems of networks that communicate seamlessly, from connected microbes inside our bodies to an internet that stretches across planets.

Welcome to the Age of Networked Matter, where robots will form their own social networks, chairs are digitally-rights managed, microbes talk to kitchens, and every object is six degrees away from the rest of the world. The IFTF Technology Horizons team is at work forecasting the emerging technologies driving this Age and their potential to reshape our companies, cities, and communities.

And to help us see the potential of this wild and woolly future, we’ve enlisted science-fiction’s most visionary provocateurs—Cory Doctorow, Warren Ellis, Rudy Rucker, Bruce Sterling, Ramez Naam, and Madeline Ashby—to explore the superheroic capabilities and messy social dilemmas we might face in the next decade and beyond. These creative storytellers will paint high-resolution views through six original stories commissioned for the Age of Networked Matter. But these stories aren’t final. Over the next three months we’ll get inside these scenarios, build on their ideas, and design real products and services to address some of humanity’s biggest challenges.

www.iftf.org...

top topics

join