It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma earthquake linked to underground injection of oil-drilling wastewater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Being such a controversial subject, I am convinced there must be a thread related to this already, so this is a cautious prod. No recent thread shown in the search I did.

Start with checking out this story

Oklahoma earthquake linked to oil extraction wastewater

There has been much speculation and many opinions expressed about the links between fracking operations and seismic activity, but here is some possible "proof" offered by a study that suggests
"Scientists link drilling-operation wastewater injection to a magnitude-5.7 earthquake that struck the US state of Oklahoma in 2011"

More info soon.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by KenArten

Being such a controversial subject, I am convinced there must be a thread related to this already, so this is a cautious prod. No recent thread shown in the search I did.

You are correct:

Powerful Oklahoma quake was caused by oil-drilling procedure, man-made scientists say!

edit on 27-3-2013 by jadedANDcynical because: Fixed tag

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Opponents of fracking claim that the injection of water (and sand and chemicals) into wells to force the extraction of natural gas, can possibly cause seismic activity, and more likely (almost logically), will pollute groundwater. Oil companies of course reject this possibility.

So it is a huge battle for dissenters to take on as the might of the oil industry are able to draw on countless experts who can convince (bamboozle) most into accepting this is a safe practice. So any scientific work that offers more balanced insights into the risks should be welcomed.

While this study is not directly related to fracking, the study does add evidence to the belief (at least) that there is a correlation between the injection of wastewater, and the increase in seismic activity. I think it does not require much imagination to extend this argument to fracking, but under burden of proof .....?

Probably the main observation / conclusion of this study is that the authors claim, “induced seismicity” can persist (or may be delayed) for long periods and then produce much larger events (magnitude 5 or more) years later, even though the seismic events that occurred directly after the injection operation were relatively minor.

In between all the arguments pro and against, there seem to be lots of cracks appearing under the pressure of scientific study and observations. Nobody seems to contest the increase in seismic activity, and there are somewhat ridiculous arguments that state there are probably many gas and oil extraction methods contributing to this rise. That should not make them all acceptable, because there are others that are also potential contributors.

But it would seem that fracking is indeed involved in a significant way, as the wastewater it produces is often injected underground, just as with other drilling operations.

The real problem is – will anyone listen to or care about the conclusions offered in this study? There are just too many things hidden (underground and elsewhere) in this whole story.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Thanks, just needed to see it up on the boards and being discussed meaningfully.
Unfortunately, the results of such studies soon get confused by all the smoke and mirrors of those protecting turf, or trying to push agendas.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by KenArten

Unfortunately, the results of such studies soon get confused by all the smoke and mirrors of those protecting turf, or trying to push agendas.

Standard operating procedure.

Not new to this industry or to "leaders" higher up.

The oil industry (and really it's the entire energy sector) exerts a tremendous amount of political clout to keep things going the way they are now and the masses (you and i included) sucking at their teat.

So what that their waste products ruin the environment and is extremely toxic? Oh, you mean our idea to just dumping it down a hole might cause other kinds of harm? Meh, as long as the $ keeps rolling in, and the jobs it brings a gnarly keen too, don't ya know?

The problem is not having a real solution to deal with the waste precisely like the nuclear power industry with the waste byproducts it produces that are dangerous for longer than written history.

Thorium reactors would help here but we aren't moving forward with that technology. China is and India is as well I believe. Thorium reactors burn the waste products of other reactors and can be designed so that it is impossible for them to melt down.

This all ties to even larger questions of the structure of our society and how we have set up our ways of using power and control. All of which are outside the legerdemain of this thread.

It's always good to see others trying to shine a light on those who would rather stay hidden.

top topics

join