It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complaint box: Christians

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I think it's been eluded to in various posts, but was looking for one central location. I'm not looking to address/debate/argue any points, but would like to know what people do not like about Christians. As always though, I certainly welcome questions. It's not meant as another power melee of words, rather more for my note taking and understanding. Christians are welcome to talk about other Christians too. God knows were're not perfect.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
How bout we start one of these on every religion?

What good can come of this? Are you going to adjust yourself to every single person that takes aim? Are you going to become the perfect person based on a poll of anti-christian responses?

What if the answer is "because you believe in God"? You going to quit believing then?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I think we're really getting ATS conspiracy forum confused with the BTS spirituality and religion forum.

Mods?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Christian Complaint:

High and mighty, better than everyone else, condesending, judgemental, and critical people who as a result usually have more flaws than those who they so cruely judge.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
How bout we start one of these on every religion?

Fine with me. My interest is in Christianity though.

What good can come of this? Are you going to adjust yourself to every single person that takes aim? Are you going to become the perfect person based on a poll of anti-christian responses?

I'd like to know how I and others are preceived, act and go wrong. I will not adjust myself to everyone who takes aim. I know that I cannot be a perfect person.

What if the answer is "because you believe in God"? You going to quit believing then?

No, sorry. I'm not easily swayed.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Why do you believe in God?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I used to believe that when a person dies, that's it. Nothing. Having no destination, I dared whatever existed to show itself and I would believe. I got my answer but not what I expected. So to flee the Devil, I sought help from a pastor. I thought he was totally bogus until I found myself again in a dire situation. I did as he directed praying to God, accepting Jesus as saviour, and repented of sin. I can't describe the transformation - it's something you'd have to experience. Anyhow, now knowing God exists and keeping in communication, I'm finding new discoveries re-confirming the faith. I know what's coming *zips up the flame retardant suit*

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
Christian Complaint:

High and mighty, better than everyone else, condesending, judgemental, and critical people who as a result usually have more flaws than those who they so cruely judge.

you are so wrong on this one. im a christian and i do not thing im better than everyone else. thats a common misconception. there are some good ones. and there are very few of us like Pat Roberts (the 700 Club guy). hell those people scare me and we worship the same god! i dont rub my religion in other peoples faces like some christians do. i do not judge people. thats for some one greater than my self to do. im even friendly towards gays. (unless they force their life style on me then ill get offended) the same way straight people get offended if people force their views on other people. you lumped us all into one streotype, just like some people lump all balcks into being gangsters and so on a so forth.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I'm looking for all perceptions, especially negative ones on this thread. Thanks for standing up for what's right KrazyIvan, but unless we understand what it is that makes people not want to be around us, we'll always have that gap in communication. I'm taking notes for a 'things not to do' list so to speak.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I have no problem with Christians! It is the extremists of any religion, belief or organisation that I have issues with. When you are so entrenched and blinded with a belief that everyone else is instintaniously wrong there is no room for personal growth or evolution. That is when one stops striving for a better understanding of our existence and NONE of us have figured it all out yet. Basicly, extremism is intellectual atrophy.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

Christian Complaint:

you are so wrong on this one. im a christian and i do not thing im better than everyone else. thats a common misconception. there are some good ones. and there are very few of us like Pat Roberts (the 700 Club guy). hell those people scare me and we worship the same god! i dont rub my religion in other peoples faces like some christians do. i do not judge people. thats for some one greater than my self to do. im even friendly towards gays. (unless they force their life style on me then ill get offended) the same way straight people get offended if people force their views on other people. you lumped us all into one streotype, just like some people lump all balcks into being gangsters and so on a so forth.

I am willing to place a bet with you, that I can find an example of judgements you personally place on people as a result of your beliefs.

I do know that not every christian is this way. That is not the point. The VAST majority are like that. Its disturbing. Christians place labels on things. They come to their rules based on personal opinion and criticize others that do not follow suit.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It's not just Christians, it's pretty much religion in general. If history doesn't give enough examples of why Christians have earned hatred, then nothing will.

I know that Christians are people too, but unfortunately, a group of people that have divine faith that they are correct in all matters is not a good idea, because unfortunately, despite what many Christians think, they are human and are fundamentally flawed...

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
I have no problem with Christians! It is the extremists of any religion, belief or organisation that I have issues with. When you are so entrenched and blinded with a belief that everyone else is instintaniously wrong there is no room for personal growth or evolution. That is when one stops striving for a better understanding of our existence and NONE of us have figured it all out yet. Basicly, extremism is intellectual atrophy.

Thanks Jonna ^_^

Thorfinn Skullsplitter, thanks for the input. Being flawed is part of our beliefs. If a Christian says they're not, they haven't been reading their Book (that would make them God) ;-)

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

My sentiments exactly! One must consider that there are extremists in every organization but this does not render the whole bad. The problem is when one does not recognize when they are drifting into extremism; thinking they are better than anyone else because of what they believe (conscious or subconscious). This is where my annoyance with religious people comes because it is often not a remote thing.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
How about me, I am not a christian believer, and I do not believe in organized religion, but I beleive in a god, or creator and I am as close to him as many here can imagine.

But I don't need a church or bible to get so close to him and neither a Jesus in between.

So what will I be call by "christians, church goers Jesus believers" I am different or my god is different?

I can tell you I am as close to my creator as any here will ever dream.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

Christian Complaint:

I am willing to place a bet with you, that I can find an example of judgements you personally place on people as a result of your beliefs.

I do know that not every christian is this way. That is not the point. The VAST majority are like that. Its disturbing. Christians place labels on things. They come to their rules based on personal opinion and criticize others that do not follow suit.

Every human places labels on things that are based their own personal opinion and criticize others that do not follow suit. Just look at this thread and one will see that people who claim not be religious, Christian, etc....., place labels on other who differ. By the way, do you personally know the VAST majority of Christians? I am a Christian and have lived in a lot of places, but even I don't know the VAST majority of Christian. How do you know?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Kinda funny how I came up with my username on here. I saw Christians were immediately pegged whether they said they were Christian or not. I figured "heck, if I'm gonna get pegged, I might as well wave the banner and see what I get shot at with." I don't normally label myself in the day to day, but find I'm often 'accused' before I ever say it.

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm Surprised since on Above Top Secret there are many more (though indirect) complaints but here seems to be a gentler, quieter place.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
First, I would like to commend all of us for being adults, and not digressing too much into personal attacks. It was very forward thinking for this thread to be put up, we as an ATS/BTS community have members who span the gammit of cultural and religious belief's and there shouldn't be a reason that we are divided, when united by our common interests we make great strides towards cultural awarness.

It is a personal theory in my perspective the reason many fundamentalist christian types are the fire and brimstone, and ye shall burn in hell traces back to when christians were the ones persecuted. Call it a collective cultural memory if you will. The Christians still perhpas feel they never got their revenge/justice for their initial persecution, and still seek to give everyone else their proverbial commupence. (Just a whacked out theory)

That being said, many of the "different from Christian is bad" feelings stem from The Inquisition. The Maleus Malificarum, literally the Witch Hunters Handbook was fashioned by a Christian Monk, to either convert or destroy the last remaining Pagans, Jews, Muslims, and other less religious christians, of the late medievel early renaissance world. The writings of the Maleus Malificarum were extremely the Fire and Brimstone type, and in that notion it was enforced to do the very same to the non-believers

The largest problem with Religion based Faith that I have, is I don't like too much man involved with my God. As soon as a flawed being such as myself, starts using religion and the bible to push agendas, religion has lost it's purpose. Religion is a community driven Spirituality. I myself am merely spiritual, I love God, and I know God loves me back. Living by the golden rule of do unto others as you would have those do unto you, is the only law worth holding to in my opinion. It is the root law of most faiths.

If you were to break Down the 10 Commandments, it would still come down to. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Thou shalt not kill, Do unto others
Thou Shalt not steal, Do unto others
Thou Shalt not commit adultery, Do unto others
etc.

The commandments are compatible with this creed, save a few interepertations others may have made in the past.

I guess I've jibber jabbered long enough, and I thank you for allowing me to contribute to this thread!

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Christian Complaint:

You are aware this applies to basically any belief system, religious or otherwise. I mean, of course everyone thinks they're right, that's why they think that way

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's not the Christians or the Jews or the Pagans that are inherently bad. It's humans that are. So trying to blame the majority of the world's ills on a single source (not saying you are, but many people do, be it Islam or Communism or whatever) isn't going to work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join