It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marriage is a Business Contract. Everything after that are just emotions. It’s a crock and a scam.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I know you may say that is both a business and emotional contract between two (or more) people, but let’s face facts. Kings married off the prodigy to other Kingdoms for centuries. It was an easy way of doing diplomacy, though that really didn’t work out to well for some did it?

Nowadays, people get married for benefits. Oh sure, there may be love involved, but does true love really require a ring and a legal document? I don’t think so.

The main thing everyone seems to want is healthcare. But there are other drawbacks that ensue as well.

Look at the divorce attorneys who benefit from all the break ups. They make the divorcing couples life even more miserable. All for a quick buck.

I’ll even go further. Why should I as a business owner, and let’s say you work for me, have to pay for your family’s healthcare. They are not employed by me…you are. Why do I have to pay the extra financial burden for healthcare?

I know the argument.

You attract better employees if you help offset health costs for their families. Good point.

But who is to say that maybe only offering the employee and only the employee healthcare, and at a better wage wouldn’t do the same thing?

I’m getting tired of all these “supposed” rights arguments. I don’t care if you are Gay, Straight, Monogamist, Polygamous or what have you. Love each other...I'm ok with that. But stop pushing the crap down my throat. It doesn't taste good to me.

What about those who cannot find a mate…where are my rights?

What about all the people who do not have the education or are too lazy to find a decent job? One without healthcare, but yet pays a decent wage? (Trust me, because that is where we are headed.)

Why, should I have to pay as a business owner for others healthcare when they are perfectly capable of handling it themselves?

Can someone answer me that?

And then we get into the tax breaks. What's up with that? What makes being married so special?

I know I didn't rant all that well, but I've been pondering it for quite some time. Needless to say, I am not a fan of marriage. But I am happy that it does work for some.

edit on 27-3-2013 by TDawgRex because: Gotta get a beer.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

S&F!!!! Just do a search on the origins of marriage! You will see that it WAS exactly as you stated! That is until the "Church" got it's hands on it as well as the good ole governments.....

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You basically have two rant topics in your OP, Dawg.

One is that you're not a fan of marriage. The second is that you don't see why you as an employer should have to pay for not just the employee, but the employee's family's health care expenses.

I do agree that marriage is a business contract. People don't want to view it as such, but after you remove all the emotional fairy-tale stuff, that's exactly what it is.

As far as health care, I don't see what the problem is covering an employee's family. You can blame the insurance companies for making insurance so ridiculously expensive that the employers are balking at paying for it. But we're heading into a slave economy anyway, in which the slave should be thrilled just to have a crappy job to go to in the first place, and screw his family and his health, it's their problem.

Anyway...a somewhat confusing rant. Might as well have just said "eff romance, love, family, and mushy emotional ties". I think that would sum it up.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
On the health care front, it's called social responsibility. Other countries offer nationalized health care. Enjoy your capitalism.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
You basically have two rant topics in your OP, Dawg.

Well, they both have a common thread. Marriage.

Anyway...a somewhat confusing rant. Might as well have just said "eff romance, love, family, and mushy emotional ties". I think that would sum it up.

To be truthful, I'm quite fond of those, but have only found them in limited quantities for only a few short years at a time. I'm still looking and haven't given up though. I often refer to myself as being "Happily Bitter".

I'll probably die alone...no real biggie. But I do try to leave a spark and a smile wherever I go.

I'm just getting fed up with all these what I view as petty arguments when there is a much bigger game at stake. Such as Life.We need to get on with it. I'm sick of laws being passed to enforce what should be plain old common sense.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 123143
On the health care front, it's called social responsibility. Other countries offer nationalized health care. Enjoy your capitalism.

Yep, I see how that is working out across Europe.

I do enjoy my Capitalism. It's up to me whether I succeed or fail. Kind of like a relationship.

It's a give and take world. I just happen to think that a middle ground can be found.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
As a formerly married man.. I am also no fan of marriage.
Sometimes I'll be having a conversation with a female, not a date or anything, just talking and when they ask what I think about marriage, some of them get really offended when I say that I'll never marry again.
But its the truth, I would rather piss on an electric fence than get married again

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Marriage is indeed a business contract, but not how you think it is. Marriage back in the day,WAY BACK, was about professing their love and commitment to each other among family and close friends, ceremoniously. Sometimes a member of the clergy officiated, sometimes the couple exchanged vows to each other without a clwrgyman. They would then record their ceremony in a family Bible, and in the eyes of everyone, they were man and wife. Enter the state. They wanted couples to have permission to marry, so they required marriage ''licenses'' to get married. When you get a marriage license, you forfeit important leeway within your own marriage and you give the state certain rights to interfere in your marriage. Things like, divorce. A total stranger gets to dictate who gets what, and the state cashes in on the tax aspect of marriage. It gets much deeper, but that's the gist of it. ''Licensed'' marriages are a sham that benefits the state.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

Marriage is indeed a business contract, but not how you think it is. Marriage back in the day,WAY BACK, was about professing their love and commitment to each other among family and close friends, ceremoniously. Sometimes a member of the clergy officiated, sometimes the couple exchanged vows to each other without a clwrgyman. They would then record their ceremony in a family Bible, and in the eyes of everyone, they were man and wife. Enter the state. They wanted couples to have permission to marry, so they required marriage ''licenses'' to get married. When you get a marriage license, you forfeit important leeway within your own marriage and you give the state certain rights to interfere in your marriage. Things like, divorce. A total stranger gets to dictate who gets what, and the state cashes in on the tax aspect of marriage. It gets much deeper, but that's the gist of it. ''Licensed'' marriages are a sham that benefits the state.

Before that, (pre church) marriages were quite commonly arranged by the parents! Which indeed goes to show that originally, marriage was more of a business and social status issue, where a family could become more affluent by pawning off their son or daughter to a more wealthier and prominent family. That standard of practice precedes those of how we in todays society view it as a "religious" ceremony......

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by poloblack

Before that, (pre church) marriages were quite commonly arranged by the parents! Which indeed goes to show that originally, marriage was more of a business and social status issue, where a family could become more affluent by pawning off their son or daughter to a more wealthier and prominent family. That standard of practice precedes those of how we in todays society view it as a "religious" ceremony......
This is true, Seeker.

top topics

join