It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vial of deadly virus missing at Texas bioterror lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Not sure if this was posted on ATS but the news is few days old. According to CDC, it is not a potential threat but a possible case of misinventory and more than likely the sample is not missing from the lab. Anyone ATSrs living in the area with possible more info? I generally never accept the MSM or press conference versions from many of the agencies such as CDC, FDA, ADA etc etc.

Officials at a maximum-security research lab in Texas report that a vial of a potential bioterror agent is missing, but they say it's likely that the virus has been destroyed and poses no danger.

The incident, voluntarily disclosed by the Galveston National Laboratory, comes amid growing concerns about security and safety risks at labs researching germs and toxins that could be used as bioterror weapons.

Scott Weaver, the Galveston lab's scientific director, said Monday that a routine check last week led to the discovery that one of five small plastic vials of an obscure virus called Guanarito was missing from a locked freezer. Checks of the lab's security systems show no malfunctions and no unusual entries to the lab or the freezer since a previous inventory recorded the vial in November.

Galveston and other labs experiment with bioterror agents so they can develop vaccines and treatments.

Weaver said the incident, as required by law, was immediately reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He said CDC officials agreed with the lab that it is "extremely unlikely" the virus was stolen.

"They did not consider this a public health threat or a potential theft," Weaver said, adding that the lab voluntarily made the incident public because of a long-standing pact to be transparent with the Galveston community

SOURCE

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Oh, that's just fantastic.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
There was a thread or two about it a few days ago.
Most posters were poopooing it, saying that it was probably misplaced.
I hear the MSM still talking about it, which isn't a good sign, IMO.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
12 monkeys comes to mind! And I'm not volunteering to come back to stop it either.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

>bioterror lab
Yeah, no.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I do appreciate that you wanted to convey this important news....

but a thread was already created on 3/24/2013.

Here is the link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by hp1229

I do appreciate that you wanted to convey this important news....

but a thread was already created on 3/24/2013.

Here is the link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks.
The ATS search engine is not the same as it used to be I guess. 90% of the times, it doesn't return results even though I tried to re-phrase the sentence and/or words to search.

PS: Mods, please close this thread if indeed a duplicate. Thanks.
edit on 27-3-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It's just the Venezuelan Hemorrhagic Fever. -yawns- Call me when some interesting disease gets loose. BTW if this was being weaponized, It would kill one out of 4 of those infected. Not a pretty way to go from what I've read on it

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well we might as well name it Captian Tripps...

Great well I see some of you in in Denver and hope not to go to Las Vegas...if we make it...for The Stand!
edit on 27-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Great well I see some of you in in Denver and hope not to go to Las Vegas...if we make it...for The Stand!

M-O-O-N, that spells "duplicate"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But I'm kind of glad we're revisiting this. These stories seems to get buried and forgotten.
Bumpity-bump.
edit on 3/27/13 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

M-O-O-N, that spells "duplicate"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But I'm kind of glad we're revisiting this. These stories seems to get buried and forgotten.
Bumpity-bump.
edit on 3/27/13 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

Don't look at me I know how to use that ATS search...

And M-O-O-N! That spells NEBRASKA! Or deaf and dumb or Tom Cullen...duh

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
For one it's not a 'Bio-Terror' lab, but I'll give you an A-For-Effort in creating a sensationalist title. Have you considered working for the MSM? The lab routinely handles those sot of pathogens to study them and to try and find a way to cure them. Which is to say they are not creating terror agents.

M.

edit on 27-3-2013 by Moshpet because: 42

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
For one it's not a 'Bio-Terror' lab, but I'll give you an A-For-Effort in creating a sensationalist title. Have you considered working for the MSM? The lab routinely handles those sot of pathogens to study them and to try and find a way to cure them. Which is to say they are not creating terror agents.M.

edit on 27-3-2013 by Moshpet because: 42
But..but professor, Its the title used from the link. Not my own
No thanks. I hate MSM. Why dont you enlighten and share with us some of your knowledge ?

edit on 27-3-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I just wish the movie had done more justice to the book.
I know that books don't translate to the big screen that well a lot of the time, but for some reason, Steven King allows my mind to paint such a vivid picture of what he writes... and I always end up disappointed with the movie version.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I just wish the movie had done more justice to the book.
I know that books don't translate to the big screen that well a lot of the time, but for some reason, Steven King allows my mind to paint such a vivid picture of what he writes... and I always end up disappointed with the movie version.

I disagree. Some of his work does not transfer over, some does remarkable well.

Misery, Carrie, 1408, The Mist, Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile are among my favorite movies! And in some cases better than the books! The Dead Zone series wasn't too bad (but went south after the 3rd season)

Some are just so rich they need a mini-series but the problem has been they need an AMC or HBO, Showtime mini-series. Not too gritty but better than made for TV!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Misery, Carrie, 1408, The Mist, Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile are among my favorite movies!

All good movies to be sure.
I just like his books better.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Hopefully, one of the scientists that worked there realized how stupid it is for them to produce/invent these damn viruses and decided to steal and destroy them.

But............ that is highly unlikely

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I found this article tonight; hisz.rsoe.hu...
I was looking for some place to post it and thought this would be a good place. What do you think?

new topics

top topics

join