It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do We All Have A Right to Equal Protection Under the Law?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
As the Supreme Court of the Untied States enters its second day of deliberation over the issue of so-called "Gay Marriage", I'd like to narrow this forum's focus to what I believe is the most important underlying question the Justices must consider. And the question I'd like to pose, to the membership, in its starkest form.

The Constitution of the United States seems to guarantee All citizens Equal Protection Under the Law (of the United States; that is to say, at the Federal level).

Short of excising this clause from the Constitution, should it be possible to exclude, by popular vote, and without any other considerations, Any group of citizens from the protection of this clause?

Could Redheads be denied the right to own property?
Could Christians be forced onto "reservations"?
Etc.

Would any of these things be "Constitutional", even though they were supported by the majority of a popular vote, or by "traditional" practice?

Are we all truly Equal under the Law, such that none of us can deny any of us the "rights" (or more correctly, the priviledges) we individually enjoy?

edit on 27-3-2013 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Elo! Heelooo! Hmmmm, no one home.

It is written so in law that we are equal before the law, but power corrupts, and powers are then abused.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Yes we do have equal protections under the law. Just not equal privileges, that was not was promised, nor should it be.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

The Constitution of the United States seems to guarantee All citizens Equal Protection Under the Law (of the United States; that is to say, at the Federal level).

Short of excising this clause from the Constitution, should it be possible to exclude, by popular vote, and without any other considerations, Any group of citizens from the protection of this clause?

In the first place, equal protection isn't IN the constitution, its in the 14th amendment which many claim wasn't even properly ratified.

Second, everyone knows that corporations have far more rights under the law than individual citizens, so wouldn't it make more sense to skip the marriage license altogether and simply incorporate? Get an LLC and write your own bylaws. Want a divorce? Dissolve the corporation. Bing, bang, boom.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

People are not treated equally under the law - as long as certain groups are given special considerations and protections.

Minorities,those who choose to live an alternative sexual lifestyle, and even those who have lower socio-economic status enjoy special protections under the law.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

Yes we do have equal protections under the law. Just not equal privileges, that was not was promised, nor should it be.

Why don't you think equal privileges should be ensured?

What twisted logic can you come up with that says that two consenting adults should be denied certain legal benefits because of their sex?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

Why don't you think equal privileges should be ensured?

What twisted logic can you come up with that says that two consenting adults should be denied certain legal benefits because of their sex?

I never mentioned any context, your mind added it yourself.

Ewual privilege is unenforceable, it is patently idiotic.

Bill gates has many more privileges than I, so either cut him down to my level, or bring me up to his,....is just stupid and fail logic.

All people have different privileges, for instance the guy who drove drunk too many times has lost his privilege to drice for life. Or shoukd we quarantee his equal privilege?

Inmares dont have many privileges that us noncriminal types do, or shoule we endure they get the privilege of being fres and such also?

privileges are not even the same boat, sea, or ocean compared to rights.

I think you should reread the definition of both before commenting further.

edit on 27-3-2013 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle

In the first place, equal protection isn't IN the constitution, its in the 14th amendment which many claim wasn't even properly ratified.

Second, everyone knows that corporations have far more rights under the law than individual citizens, so wouldn't it make more sense to skip the marriage license altogether and simply incorporate? Get an LLC and write your own bylaws. Want a divorce? Dissolve the corporation. Bing, bang, boom.

The Daily Show did a satire about doing just that...

www.thedailyshow.com...

new topics

top topics

join