Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Religious Trauma Syndrome: How Some Organized Religion Leads to Mental Health Problems

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Ya know, you're right. I probably will just get more upset. What bothers me is that it doesn't get through to people.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

If your mission is 'to get through to people' - it is you who wants to control people - believing you are right and they are wrong. You have no control over people anymore - you are not a practicing counsellor.
And just see what you wrote above - 'what bothers me..........'
It is you who is 'bothered'.

Don't try to save others until you are stable in yourself.
edit on 30-3-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

You have no control over people anymore - you are not a practicing counsellor.
And just see what you wrote above - 'what bothers me..........'
It is you who is 'bothered'.

I have NEVER had control over people! I don't believe in that.

Are you not bothered by what is happening to people in those religions? Not your problem? You can keep on reminding them all that all we have is this very moment, but that doesn't help them either. I'm here for a reason - in this arena - because I think religion is a primary cause of a lot of the world's ills.

I don't know why you are trying to psycho-analyze me, or assuming how others will respond to what I am saying.
Yes, I wear my heart on my sleeve. I have a big mouth, and I can be quite opinionated. That's the way the Creator made me, and I'm sticking to it -- to stand up for the abused and damaged victims of this type of 'indoctrination' and to point out that it MATTERS.

Maybe it doesn't matter to YOU, but it does to me.

edit on 30-3-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Are you not bothered by what is happening to people in those religions? Not your problem? You can keep on reminding them all that all we have is this very moment, but that doesn't help them either. I'm here for a reason - in this arena - because I think religion is a primary cause of a lot of the world's ills.

I don't know why you are trying to psycho-analyze me, or assuming how others will respond to what I am saying.
Yes, I wear my heart on my sleeve. I have a big mouth, and I can be quite opinionated. That's the way the Creator made me, and I'm sticking to it -- to stand up for the abused and damaged victims of this type of 'indoctrination' and that it MATTERS. Maybe it doesn't matter to YOU, but it does to me.

What 'matters' to you will hurt.
Find a cause and it will control you and make you unhappy - then you can carry the anger with you - that will make the world so much better -- won't it? Seeing through angry eyes - the world appears ugly.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

As opposed to just throwing my hands up in the air and saying, "Oh well, it's on them." ? That is the answer to contributing to a healthy society?

I'm not unstable, and yes, I have things that I mean to do...whether it's comfortable or not. You don't know a fraction of who I am or what I have lived through in my life.

Sure, I can be more comfortable absorbed in the present moment and accepting that 'things are the way they are supposed to be.' So would everyone else. But very few people in this country get that. So, in my opinion, it makes me complicit in the damage to some degree if I don't denounce their actions. You don't have a 'cause' to speak up for? Good for you. Not necessarily good for others who are being hurt. Can you really not see that?

You still have not answered my questions regarding your opinion of the OP's premise. "Attack the OP, not the poster." The OP is not about ME - it's about people being abused and warped by some types of authoritarian, shaming, controlling, fear-based religion.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

It attacks religion.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

As opposed to just throwing my hands up in the air and saying, "Oh well, it's on them."
I'm not unstable, and yes, I have things that I mean to do...whether it's comfortable or not. You don't know a fraction of who I am or what I have lived through in my life.

Everyone has to do the work for themselves. Parents and home life do exactly what you accuse religion of.
To be so fast to assume - you are not that stable. To be so angry - you are not that stable.
Attack and defence are not signs of stability.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Everyone has to do the work for themselves. Parents and home life do exactly what you accuse religion of.
To be so fast to assume - you are not that stable. To be so angry - you are not that stable.

Assertiveness and preparation for assault when bringing up a touchy subject are not signs of 'instability'!! You are talking about maintaining a 'flat affect' and not responding to the world at all. That's a nice, comfy distance to assess things from.

Yes, people have to do it for themselves. But without the information how can they even begin?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Assertiveness and preparation for assault when bringing up a touchy subject are not signs of 'instability'!! You are talking about maintaining a 'flat affect' and not responding to the world at all. That's a nice, comfy distance to assess things from.

Yes, people have to do it for themselves. But without the information how can they even begin?

'Preparation for assault' is not loving is it. You expect to get assaulted and then you are - strange how that happens.
Maybe it is the big stick that you carry that everyone can see - you think it is invisible.
Have you heard of transactional analysis? If you want drama and conflict then you will carry on with the games people play. It appears that you like a rough ride and do not want the calm (flat effect). Assertion comes with staying in adult mode.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

'Preparation for assault' is not loving is it. You expect to get assaulted and then you are - strange how that happens.

Tell that to Jesus. 'Calm' is wonderful - speaking your mind despite the consequences is courage. Attempting to prevent the abuse of others is loving, and you don't know my heart.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Tell that to Jesus. 'Calm' is wonderful - speaking your mind despite the consequences is courage. Attempting to prevent the abuse of others is loving, and you don't know my heart.

Calm is always there when found. Even in the midst of all that is happening there is a calm, peaceful witness to it all. That will not be found though if the muddy water is being stirred all the time.
Speaking and standing up does happen in the moment - it does not have to be planned. It is unexpected and just happens.
Preaching about 'what should be done' just adds confusion.
'Should be done' is what separates you from this that is happening presently.
It is that separation that is the root cause to all human suffering.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Sorry, you did not answer my question - Have you heard of or studied Transactional Analysis?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

This thread is about Religious indoctrination. It's not about Transactional Analysis, it's not about healthy Buddhist calm, and it's not about me.
And 'wanting change' and being 'bothered by' the SUFFERING OF OTHERS is not indicative of instability.

You have not answered my repeated questions regarding your opinion of the premise of the OP. I will not further address off-topic subjects here. Thanks for recommending that people remain calm. Too bad some of them are already so damaged that they will never experience "calm" without lots and lots of more suffering and hard work and rejection - or rather "Ejection" - of the imposed self-loathing, worthlessness, and fear of a tyrant God's punishment.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Yes, you are wrong about that. I'm not an atheist, I have a sense of 'God' in my life all the time.

then why do you say that compassion by people and relying on them should be more encouraged than relying on God exclusively and turning to God for any trouble(here psychological)
edit on 30-3-2013 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

When a person's head is full of terror because they fear some future eternal torment that someone else has imposed upon them -- when they are controlled by that fear, as well as being told they are worthless and deserving of it, they have a serious problem behaving in a healthy way.

do you doubt that it maybe your interpretation and not how its meant to be?
Again your view leans a lot towards an atheistic view about the same.

You think its only fear of hell that keeps religious people good? Or you think it makes them anxious enough to suffer psychological trauma?

It would be like saying that knowledge that prisons exists and knowing its conditions makes law abiding citizens psychologically traumatized!!
edit on 30-3-2013 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by logical7

then why do you say that compassion by people and relying on them should me more encouraged than relying on God exclusively and turning to God for any trouble(here psychological)

We deal with people every day, we see what harm is inflicted by people onto other people. When we need real help, I mean like we are injured, or starving, or suffering, other people can help us. Or they can harm us. If we can be, and sometimes are harmed 'psychologically' by others, we can go to others to help with relieving our suffering. It's fine to rely on God, but not exclusively. We do not live all alone, we have to put up with each other, because we need each other to survive. A baby who is neglected, or abandoned, or abused is not getting help from 'God', are they?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You think its only fear of hell that keeps religious people good?

Some of them, yes. But it's not genuine love for one's neighbor if it's 'conditional' like that. Being good just for the sake of being good and not harming others, because you know it's the right thing to do, has nothing to do with "hell", or "fear of it." That is coercion.

Or you think it makes them anxious enough to suffer psychological trauma?

Some of them, yes. Depends entirely on what message they are getting from their religious leaders and peers. Being constantly shamed and told you are not worthy is not healthy - being told you'll go to hell does not validate and recognize you as an acceptable unique being with things to offer, who will sometimes make mistakes.

"Hell" IS meant to be a kind of like prison - a never-ending, eternal punishment for a transgression.
But most people get OUT OF PRISON when they have served their sentence. Some of them are permanently messed up, and were before they went to prison. Other people NEVER get out of prison, and that is to isolate them from others so they do no further harm, because they don't know how to - or just won't - stop themselves. Prison separates people from healthy society. We're not talking about criminals and prison, anyway. But I see your point.

And don't forget that INNOCENT PEOPLE are sent to prison, too - and only after years - even decades - are they pardoned and sometimes rewarded with "money" or a "formal apology" to make up for the horror of other people judging them wrongly.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

do you doubt that it maybe your interpretation and not how its meant to be?

I'm talking specifically about how SOME religions do exactly that. Not 'all;. The ones that do use those tactics are those I am talking about, and that's how they are supposed to interpret it when they are taught it.

Of course it's not "how it's meant to be". That's why those religions, those particular religions, are so dreadful. They are using religion as a weapon to control others.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

This thread is about Religious indoctrination. It's not about Transactional Analysis, it's not about healthy Buddhist calm, and it's not about me.

If you have been a practicing counsellor you must have come across transactional analysis. It is a great tool for learning about games people play - they don't realize why they are 'bothered' most of the time but they are entering games they are not aware of.
If you have not heard of it then you might find it very interesting.

As I said before the OP speaks of indoctrination and families are where children get all their strange ways from. Organized religion can be just another form of bad parenting.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You have not answered my repeated questions regarding your opinion of the premise of the OP. I will not further address off-topic subjects here. Thanks for recommending that people remain calm. Too bad some of them are already so damaged that they will never experience "calm" without lots and lots of more suffering and hard work and rejection - or rather "Ejection" - of the imposed self-loathing, worthlessness, and fear of a tyrant God's punishment.

You cannot help them find calm. And I did answer your question - it attacks religion.
I did not recommend that 'people remain calm'.

It is you who is suffering. It is you who is bothered and angry. Cure 'you' first.
Until you recognize your own suffering and find a cure you will see suffering everywhere. It is projection.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

And I did answer your question - it attacks religion.

The OP points out that SOME FORMS of extremist fundamentalism are damaging to the psyche of SOME PEOPLE, especially little children who believe whatever a 'grown-up' tells them is absolutely true - or the vulnerable who are already suffering and in need of comfort and help.
My question was, what do you think about THAT PREMISE? Not "what do you think this article is about?"

Do you, or do you not, agree with the premise that instilling fear and shame can damage a person?
Okay, now I just the post prior to this one.

As I said before the OP speaks of indoctrination and families are where children get all their strange ways from. Organized religion can be just another form of bad parenting.

Yes. Bad parenting and bad religion, both can do damage. Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join