It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Trauma Syndrome: How Some Organized Religion Leads to Mental Health Problems

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by CornShucker

I've advise many over the years to do due diligence before choosing a counselor for their kids...

What you say is correct, and her point is a valid one. I've remarked earlier in the thread that Counselors and Psychiatrists CAN BE DAMAGING.

I left the field entirely after discovering two things:

First, as a practitioner, my empathy and compassion levels were unsuitable, and I was UNABLE to remain distant and disinterested. I could not leave it at work. My heart was breaking for these people's suffering, and it drained me too much - to the point that I was 'unavailable' emotionally to nurture my own family.

Second, as an insider, I was privy to the real agendas of the executive directors, the funding agencies, the duplicity of many people in the field, and the FACT that MANY counselors DO NOT HAVE THEIR * TOGETHER. Many, in fact, are quite damaged themselves. It's my opinion that many of those who do go into the field, do so to PURGE THEIR OWN SUFFERING. Same with religious leaders? You bet.

So, I got out. Said, "I will not continue this." The worst part was how they wanted to insist that outside of the clinical setting, we were "not allowed" to have relationships with the client. Not allowed to accept small gifts like home-made treats or craft art, for example, and were expected to simply SEVER the relationship entirely, with no after-care or follow-up contact permitted at all once the treatment had resolved. So, you get close to someone who is sharing intimate thoughts and secrets with you, to work hard to help them establish goals and to explore options, to make suggestions and help them think it through - and then POOF, you're gone! Forever!

That is crap! That is not humanitarian compassion and trust-building. Neither is preaching hellfire and absolute obedience, or insisting that very questionable ideas are true, or that every human being sucks and deserves to go to hell! If any 'helper' sees the 'client' as DEFECTIVE, STUPID, and UNABLE TO MAKE DECISIONS - therefore needing utter control, they are NOT real helpers. They're control freaks.

edit on 29-3-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

I am glad you are no longer a practicing counsellor because with your angry attitude - you would harm the patients. I have watched this thread from the beginning and you attacked the first poster and have attacked many others also. Your OP implied that you were ready for a fight. You are on the defensive all the time - how does that work for you?
Years ago I had a counsellor who accused me of doing something because I had cut down my sessions (I felt I was better), she would not take on board what I was saying (wouldn't believe me) and told me it must have been unconscious! She was concerned about her money situation and wanted me to think I was not better.
I was strong so left her - I was better and have never even thought about seeing another. Not everyone is strong when they are in counselling - they are very vulnerable.
How can anyone know who to trust?
edit on 30-3-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

reply to post by CornShucker

So, I got out. Said, "I will not continue this." The worst part was how they wanted to insist that outside of the clinical setting, we were "not allowed" to have relationships with the client. Not allowed to accept small gifts like home-made treats or craft art, for example, and were expected to simply SEVER the relationship entirely, with no after-care or follow-up contact permitted at all once the treatment had resolved. So, you get close to someone who is sharing intimate thoughts and secrets with you, to work hard to help them establish goals and to explore options, to make suggestions and help them think it through - and then POOF, you're gone! Forever!

That is crap! That is not humanitarian compassion and trust-building. Neither is preaching hellfire and absolute obedience, or insisting that very questionable ideas are true, or that every human being sucks and deserves to go to hell! If any 'helper' sees the 'client' as DEFECTIVE, STUPID, and UNABLE TO MAKE DECISIONS - therefore needing utter control, they are NOT real helpers. They're control freaks.

edit on 29-3-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

You say that you were expected to simply SEVER the relationship entirely, with no after-care or follow-up contact permitted at all once the treatment had resolved. If the 'treatment was resolved' why do you feel that 'you' still wanted contact? It sounds as though you wanted to take them home and keep them - as a friend..

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

What will happen? If a person knows the difference between right and wrong, there's no question of 'standing by the same belief'. Yes, there would be enough motivation/ integrity.

'if' then yes, but if that was true then the world would be not as it is.

Let me give an example. Lying is not good but by telling the truth, if i risk losing my job then will i still do it? Would the majority do it?

As daughter2 said this problem can also be labelled as Lack of Faith (trauma) Syndrome.
You'l agree that more people do wrong for the fear of losing money, job, relationship etc
if they just had conciousness of God and a belief that God will provide if they are true and upright it would be very different.
Without God they are by themselves and will do whats best for them, self preservation is a deep instinct. Look at a criminal being chased by cops, how many life he risks to evade arrest even when he knows he is wrong.

But, I realize I have not lived in the
culture or country where you live, and
maybe the conditions there do
overcome the impulse/motivation to
NOT HARM another....which could lead
to violence, where I am addressing the issue as it plays out in the USA.

its not place specific Wildtimes!
Just have a look at crime statistics in USA. My culture is much better

Drunk driving, domestic violence and other violent crimes are very high in USA.
Do those people don't know right from wrong?

I agree that some belief systems are wrong and imposing but it seems to me that you are against any belief where God is active. You want people to be good without conciousness of God.
I hope i am wrong about this.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

You're kinda mentally disturbed I can see . Not a healthy little camper at all and a total waste of time .
edit on 30-3-2013 by Anusuia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness123

If this does become an object of agreement with the APA, does OP accept the reality that some rogue physicians could use this diagnostic category to perpetrate an abuse against a patient, perhaps even for animosity toward the patient's religion?

Of course I do.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by logical7

I agree that some belief systems are wrong and imposing but it seems to me that you are against any belief where God is active. You want people to be good without conciousness of God.
I hope i am wrong about this.

Yes, you are wrong about that. I'm not an atheist, I have a sense of 'God' in my life all the time.

I am against being lied to, and lying. I have learned in my life that most people would lie to keep their jobs - and on the occasions that I was expected to do so, I REFUSED.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I am glad you are no longer a practicing counsellor because with your angry attitude - you would harm the patients. I have watched this thread from the beginning and you attacked the first poster and have attacked many others also. Your OP implied that you were ready for a fight. You are on the defensive all the time - how does that work for you?

I never harmed a patient. YOU LOT are not my CLIENTS.

I stand up for what I believe is right, and yes, I will fight for it.
I am on the defensive from ONLY THE PEOPLE I would would take offense at the OP, and ONLY ON THIS SUBJECT and a handful of other bigoted, hate-filled hypocrisy parading around as "good."
Common sense.

When a person's head is full of terror because they fear some future eternal torment that someone else has imposed upon them -- when they are controlled by that fear, as well as being told they are worthless and deserving of it, they have a serious problem behaving in a healthy way.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I never harmed a patient. YOU LOT are not my CLIENTS.

I am on the defensive from ONLY THE PEOPLE I would would take offense at the OP, and ONLY ON THIS SUBJECT and a handful of other bigoted, hate-filled hypocrisy parading around as "good."
Common sense.

When a person's head is full of terror because they fear some future eternal torment that someone else has imposed upon them -- when they are controlled by that fear, as well as being told they are worthless and deserving of it, they have a serious problem behaving in a healthy way.

Us lot that are not your clients can see 'your attitude'. That attitude is always there underneath and bubbles up for all to see - including clients - which can be harmful.
That is why counsellors have to have counselling to make sure their issues do not harm patients.
Patients are very astute at seeing cracks - which perpetuates the distrust - they have trust issues and are fearful.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

If the 'treatment was resolved' why do you feel that 'you' still wanted contact? It sounds as though you wanted to take them home and keep them - as a friend..

Some of them had become my friends. And not all of them were clinical therapy clients. I was also a parent educator and interacted weekly with families, from the time they found out they were pregnant they were eligible to ASK FOR THE SERVICE. All of it was voluntary. They wanted to be excellent parents.

I helped them learn how to do it, I taught them about how baby brains develop, helped them determine what temperament and learning style their child had, how to best nurture those little treasures. All of these were stay-at-home mothers - and some of their husbands also participated.

I was welcome in their homes, they and their kids loved me; I loved them back. Yes, I would have liked to remain friends with those families. I cried when I left that job. I miss those babies still. But I know I helped get them started, and it was wonderful. What was tragic was that I had bonded with those kids, and then when they turned three they were "no longer eligible" for service, so the visits had to stop.

I don't suppose you can imagine what that can do to a youngster, to have a person they know and love simply disappear from their lives and not know why. As for the clinical clients - some were kids, but the vast majority were adults who had lived through abuse and come out scarred from it.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Common sense.

They say 'defence' is the best form of 'attack'.

You ask for attack when you start with defence.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Yeah, so?
You can see my attitude because I make it clear that I KNOW the type of religious indoctrination we are discussing IN THIS THREAD can be damaging. I've seen the damage from many angles, and I don't care if it pisses 'that lot' off - I AM angry at the Evangelical browbeating.

See how you all are treating me? I'm supposed to just "take it"? Why, because Christian extremists don't want to be called out or to be SHOWN what they are doing to people?

I don't see any one of 'that lot' thanking the people who have come forward iin this thread to share their own personal suffereing and struggles - and there have been more of them in this thread than there are of 'that lot.' They simply don't have a sound leg to stand on.

Why are 'that lot' not going after them and telling them they are wrong about what happened TO THEM?

For crying out loud, the bashing I'm getting here is supposed to do what? Get me to come to their church? Believe in the twisted browbeating and want to be their best friend and team member?
Not happening. Like those 'persecuted' types like to say, "I must be doing something RIGHT."

edit on 30-3-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

I have now changed this post to read 'that lot', because Itsnowagain, if the shoe doesn't fit, you needn't wear it.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Yeah, so?
You can see my attitude because I make it clear that I KNOW the type of religious indoctrination we are discussing IN THIS THREAD can be damaging. I've seen the damage from many angles, and I don't care if it pisses 'you lot' off - I AM angry at the Evangelical browbeating.

See how you all are treating me? I'm supposed to just "take it"? Why, because 'you lot' are Christian extremists and don't want to be called out or to be SHOWN what you are doing to people?

I don't see anyone thanking the people who have come forward to address their own personal struggles - and there have been more of them in this thread than there are of 'you lot.' You simply don't have a sound leg to stand on.

Why are you not going after them and telling them they are wrong about what happened TO THEM?

"See how 'you lot' are treating me?"
You put yourself forward and believe in a 'them and us'. You are fighting in the wrong arena - you know that and that is why you were on the defensive - a religion forum! You don't have to take it if you don't hand it out.
You sound like a victim. It sounds as if you are the one who is pissed off.

I am not a 'Christian extremist'. But I am included in 'you lot'.

I have never been in any religion but I still would not like to see 'religious books' burned.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

You're kinda mentally disturbed I can see .

No, I'm FLAT OUT ANGRY about the things those churches are doing to people's self-worth, shaming and scaring them. Now you've again insulted me, and claim that I'm a nutter. What is that supposed to accomplish?

The truth is that I see something wrong, and I'm not willing to just shut up about it.

If you can't see that, then no doubt discussion with you IS a total waste of time.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I have never been in any religion but I still would not like to see 'religious books' burned.

You're NOT included in 'you lot' if you are not a Christian extremist, and clearly you are choosing to attack ME rather than explaining your own position.

You're the one who comes into these discussions making high-brow Buddhist-type "there is only the present moment" stuff, and I have repeatedly told you I understood what you were talking about! Your criticism here is a non sequitor. Are you here just to point out how pissed off I am? Well done. I read my post above over. "You lot" is addressing the people who promote this type of religion - so it doesn't even apply to you in the slightest!

I've never said anything about burning 'religious books.' Ever. EVER.

So, you're okay with the Christian extremists' methods of indoctrination?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

reply to post by Anusuia

You're kinda mentally disturbed I can see .

No, I'm FLAT OUT ANGRY about the things those churches are doing to people's self-worth, shaming and scaring them. Now you've again insulted me, and claim that I'm a nutter. What is that supposed to accomplish?

The truth is that I see something wrong, and I'm not willing to just shut up about it.

If you can't see that, then no doubt discussion with you IS a total waste of time.

All you are doing is upsetting yourself.
You wrote the OP to point something out - if people disagree then you will not change them - you will just get more angry trying.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

You're NOT included in 'you lot' if you are not a Christian extremist, and clearly you are choosing to attack ME rather than explaining your own position.

You're the one who comes into these discussions making high-brow Buddhist-type "there is only the present moment" stuff, and I have repeatedly told you I understood what you were talking about! Your criticism here is a non sequitor.

I've never said anything about burning 'religious books.' Ever. EVER.

You actually sent me a PM out of the blue once asking for my input just so you could tell me:

I've often wondered what was "up" with you.

So I know how you tick. I steer clear of posting in your threads because of your attitude and the attitude you have toward me. So I was surprised to get a PM asking for my input and was a little reluctant and look what you did.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I have redacted 'you lot' from my post addressing you. I apologize for assuming that you were simply gang-bashing me with those few here who don't like what I'm saying.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I have redacted 'you lot' from my post addressing you. I apologize for assuming that you were simply gang-bashing me with those few here who don't like what I'm saying.

Your attitude is fast and furious.
It is too late to retract it because I copied and pasted it.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Ya know, you're right. I probably will just get more upset. What bothers me is that it doesn't get through to people.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. Too late to retract it? I suppose my apology was useless, too.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Are you going to get back on topic here? Or just continue to criticize and judge me and project things onto me like 'I would harm patients.'

What do you think of the premise of the OP?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join