It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Trend Surfacing - It's Politically Incorrect to Say the "J" Word Now.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Maybe if it was a few hours, or even days afterwards. But a year? No.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I have a question for any mod that may be monitoring this thread. Would one of you guys please take some of your valuable time to private message me. I'd like some advice if anyone would be gracious enough to give some. Thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
MichiganSwampBuck:

If you think Ramsay is such a great guy, I would consider the fallout of his abusive programs.

It genuinely pains me to hear about a suicide connected to the programme, however, the fault must lay with Rachel Brown and the self-pressure of her aspirations. Gordon Ramsay is not to blame for her actions. I think it both disingenuous and obnoxious that you should use a suicide as criticism of Gordon Ramsay, especially just to score points. All contestants are told what to expect in their participation, the show ran for many years here in England before it was transported to America as 'Hells Kitchen'...not a single suicide.

It is obvious the girl had issues before going on the program, nor would she have been favoured for more abuse (as you call it) than anyone else, it's part of the motivating factor when he pushes hard. In the real world of chef-dom, she would have received far greater and more personal abuse than Ramsay ever put her way. It's a very tough and cut-throat industry.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

Elysiumfire, you should start your own discussion extolling the virtues of Chef Ramsay and allow this one to stay on topic. You have made it perfectly clear that any criticism of Ramsay is disingenuous and obnoxious to you. When you're making comments here, stick to the topic of the original post about media censorship by the networks.

Notice to future posters, I will no long entertain any discussions about Chef Ramsay or other off topic comments and will expect everyone to remain on the topic. I will get the mods involved if there are any more attempts to derail this thread.
edit on 29-3-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added a line

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

They were simply responses to a comment that YOU introduced to the thread. Personally I don't much care for Ramsay either way, I have no interest in cookery programmes at all. Neither is the sort of censorship being discussed here seen on British television at all so i was quite fascinated with the discussion of it, until you made that ludicrous statement which begged a response.

If you only want to discuss the topic, fine, then don't go throwing in strawmen arguments that WILL result in off topic discourse

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Quite true and and I'm in full agreement. I admit I was encouraging the off topic comments. I have no love for the man and as much as I'd like to go on about that, I grow weary of Ramsay. But moving forward, I will refrain from off topic posts myself and I will expect others to do as well. So I humbly and respectfully request that we all stay on topic now please.
edit on 30-3-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
thou shall not take the lords name in vain

it's been a no no for quite some time now

lol

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

That's fair enough.

Now, as I was alluding to in my previous posts, I have never seen censorship of this sort on TV here. Only the very worst swear words, such worse than the f word after 9 o clock or the f word itself before 9 o clock, for instance, are banned here, nothing like Jesus, God, Allah or anything else like that. You often see US stars appearing on talk shows here who are like kids in a sweetshop when they realise what they can say

I have read showbiz biographies where the writers of a show would have to bargain, ludicrously, for what they could include. For example, "you can't have a f*** there, if you remove it you can have three bloodys somewhere else in the script". That sort of nonsense.

Famously Kenny Everett was refused permission to call a character Mary Hinge because the BBC censor realised what it said if you swap the initials round, as a joke Everett requested Cupid Stunt instead, it was approved and you Will find old sketches with this character if you look on you tube

Censorship decisions often defy any logic at all

Saying Jesus is so commonplace now it seems mad to ban it, I don't think any group really benefits from such a ban if there is one.
edit on 30-3-2013 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Thanks Waynos. I'm glad my previous comments were not off-putting enough for you to decide to not contribute. I guess it makes sense why I haven't been seeing a variety of British programming on our public television stations, the only ones that will air shows from across the pond. They watered down our beer, so, it is no surprise to know they did that to our TV programming as well. I will have to start brewing my own so I can have some real beer. Suddenly I'm getting thirsty!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

No problem, its all about opinions.

Regarding shows, you will see safe stuff like Doctor Who or that posh one in the big house set around the time of WW1 who's name I cant remember, Something Manor or Hall, but I dont think you would ever see our talk shows and comedy panel shows because of the stuff they say on there. A look for Jonathon Ross or Alan Carr or shows like Have I Got News For You (watched by lawyers every week before broadcast just in case) on You Tube might illustrate the point.

I dont get how America got like that though, I wasn't the same when I was younger and many hard hitting comics from the 80's came from America, Bill Hicks for example. Or maybe they could only get on our TV? Who knows.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
Who the hell are you talking about! Chief Ramses? An Egyptian? Are Americans incapable of actually producing posts filled with the correct and accurate detail for their subject?

Ironic you said that, considering the following:

Originally posted by elysiumfire
If you've watched the damn programme, you will have seen that it is 'Chef Ramsay', better known as Gordon Ramsay, a high profile English chef, who definitely knows what he talking about when it comes to the food and resturant business.

I believe he would rather be called Scottish than English....

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
if a network doesn't want that word used on their station so be it, it's called freedom to do as they please in this case. we don't need anymore rules or regulations you just need to decide if you want to change the channel or not. if you don't like it don't watch it, how friggin hard is that to digest. lol

i don't watch any of those bull chit shows, they are for idiots who have no brains and less common sense.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Over the Easter holiday I visited a friend with a hi-speed connection and we surfed youtube most of the evening. We watched some programs from the BBC and that was an eye opener. All kinds of swearing and no censoring. Truly a huge contrast with the states. I'd like to thank you guys in the UK for pointing that out.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

We don't do much in the world these days, but we do have some decent TV...

That said, it has to be on after the watershed (9pm).. Woe betide you put something on before then that might be "inappropriate", then the Daily Mail brigade will be out in force!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

No worries, glad you enjoyed it

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join