It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$5 Just for looking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I got this photo from a post in an online affiliate program. With all the online retailers stomping on the local brick and mortar stores this is the result.

Would you pay $5 just to shop at a store?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
...and if I decide not to puchase goods, how are they going to charge me the $5?...I'll just walk out.

To answer the question: No, there's no way I would pay. I would take my business elsewhere.
edit on 27-3-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 2ndFUTURE

Any link or what store this is? Location?

Complete B.S.

They won't have anyone walk into that store! You can buy everything comfortably from your couch now a days!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
And I was going to give you a mailing address to send my 5 $ to...

Pay them?! not in my lifetime.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

they cant legally enforce that. Is it an admission charge?

Do they ask for it up front just to enter? What if they dont have what you want? You have to pay? HAHA! I would try them out. Leave and when they tried to stop me, well, I would force my way out. They cant detain you. You havent stolen anything...SOO?

this is retarded.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
...and if I decide not to puchase goods, how are they going to charge me the $5?...I'll just walk out.

To answer the question: No, there's no way I would pay. I would take my business elsewhere.
edit on 27-3-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

And, therein lies the stores issue.
edit on 3/27/2013 by hhcore because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
If you purchase something, then you are not "just looking". Something is odd here.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
but if you go and look in the store and buy something then your not 'just looking' and therefore shouldn't be charged 5 bucks ? that sign is retarded it basically says a 5 dollar surcharge will be in force on good purchased from this store

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

how are they going to charge me the $5?...I'll just walk out.

It’s a specialty food store in Brisbane

You have to pay them 5 dollars to get through the door... then they give you the 5 dollars back if/when you purchase something.

The sign assures that you'll have the five dollars deducted from the final purchase price, so you'll get your money back if you buy something.

They shouldn't be in business with this attitude, and likely won't be for long.

edit on 27-3-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Wow, this is interesting. Possibly a new trend to start with brick and mortar stores, however if I were them I would just open an online store. It's a lot cheaper than the overhead of keeping up a building.

If you can't beat them, join them.

By the way, I would assume they collect the $5.00 at the door and then refund at the checkout upon purchase.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

but if you go and look in the store and buy something then your not 'just looking' and therefore shouldn't be charged 5 bucks ? that sign is retarded it basically says a 5 dollar surcharge will be in force on good purchased from this store
reply to post by mykingdomforthetruth

I think what they mean is that, if you purchase something that the $5.00 is deducted from your bill. They should have said refunded to you at checkout for more clarity. It would indeed be ridiculous if they charged you the $5.00 upon purchase.
edit on 27-3-2013 by StarsInDust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

If I go into a store it is normally for the purpose of buying something in particular, however if I saw a sign such as this on a store window I would quickly take my business somewhere else. I understand that there are people who go to stores with the purpose of "pricing" particular items so as to comparative shop, but if they are concerned about people price shopping at their store and then buying for cheaper online maybe it would serve them well to make their prices more competitive. All tactics like this will do is cause them to lose potential customers.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2ndFUTURE

I got this photo from a post in an online affiliate program. With all the online retailers stomping on the local brick and mortar stores this is the result.

Would you pay $5 just to shop at a store?

Wait a minute..

They're penalising the paying customer who isnt "just looking" - The 'problem' is still there, people are still "just looking" and going elsewhere - Their logic is retarded.

They would of been better putting a #ing Toll Booth in at the door
. .

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

If I go into a store it is normally for the purpose of buying something in particular, however if I saw a sign such as this on a store window I would quickly take my business somewhere else. I understand that there are people who go to stores with the purpose of "pricing" particular items so as to comparative shop, but if they are concerned about people price shopping at their store and then buying for cheaper online maybe it would serve them well to make their prices more competitive. All tactics like this will do is cause them to lose potential customers.

Excellent post, potential customers could be swayed into buying the product there, now they will just go to best buy or even walmart, a big box store and do their looking around. NOW they will loose ANY potential to get a customer who is just looking to buy at their store..

Another thing is not related to little d's post, people DO PAY to get into stores.. SAMS Club, Costco are the big ones. You pay a premium membership price to shop there and get better deals on all sorts of items.. The trick here though is your actually getting a better deal. Some of these big box stores, and smaller electronic stores mark up their prices so high it makes no sense to buy from them when you can get it 20-30% off elsewhere.. This is why wal-mart has their price match guarantee and will match any coupon or sale at another store.
edit on 27-3-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Even Best Buy price matches. They will even match online prices. Many stores are doing this now to stay competitive. I am one who for larger purchases will price compare online and then go to an actual store to make the majority of my purchases so as to examine the actual product- also I prefer to pay in cash, which you cannot do online.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
As is usually the case, there is more to the story. The shop owner is interviewed at this link

She has only charged the fee to 4 customers so far... So, it's not a fee to get into the door.

She is charging the few cheapskates who are taking a lot of her time to learn the details about these specialty products, then go elsewhere to purchase them.

In a separate interview with the Brisbane Times, she said, “I can tell straight away who are the rat bags who are going to come in here and pick my brain and disappear.”

She is really, really horrible at signage and marketing, though. What she should rather do is offer product consulting time for 5 bucks to be refunded with a purchase... Kind of like wineries do in tasting rooms.

edit on 27-3-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

They're not, they are saying if you purchase something they will refund your $5.

They will only keep the $5 if you go in, look around and then leave without buying anything.

It is to stop people going in and comparing prices with other stores. (or more seeing what an item looks like before getting it online.)

A lot of businesses are going under because it is impossible to compete with online stores.

HMV is a classic example here in the UK of the damage being done by online trade.
edit on 27/3/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

top topics

join