It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are the greatest living thinkers?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
It seems we are always referring back to the philosophers of old and ancient times. From the times of Ancient Greece, Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. To the enlightenment with philosophers such as John Locke and Voltaire.

Who do you consider the greatest thinkers of our age? People who really promote a philosophical perspective on our modern society? Preferably still living.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Well, I do think acient philosophers were probably the deepest thinkers we will ever have because of the corruption and delusion in modern times. I don't know who to trust but Dalai Lama would be one, that is if he isn't or doesn't know he is the adopted Dalai Lama.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I am sorry, your question violates all the standards of political correctness. The type of person you are searching for does not exist due to a change in Government Policy HR12546 "Enemy of the people."

Please search again under the following allowable terms.

Nutjob, Terrorist, Nerd, Conspiracy Theorist, Communist, Extremist, Prepper, Survivalist, Enemy-of-the-people.

If you find a person that matches your original criteria please contact your local office of the FBI, NSA or any other alphabet soup agency and report the person. If you fail to do so you may be liable for life imprisonment at a private penal facility. Remember always, free thinking is a crime against a well ordered society and is punishable by forced lobotomy.

Have a nice day!

P

edit on 27/3/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Well Osho must be one of the greatest "thinkers" of our age, although he's dead for some 30 years now. I cannot call him a thinker because his words and knowledge came from realms which are way beyond the mind.

Jacque Fresco is also a great thinker and he's still alive and lecturing (although he's 97 years old)

S&F for an interesting thread, waiting to see whom others are mentioning.

edit on 27-3-2013 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Micheal Tsarion is an Irish Historian that has a brilliant mind IMHO..........are you familiar with his work? Sorry not sure how to post links, but I highly recommend watching some of his lectures....fasinating history lessons, I know there are several on You-Tube......

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

This is a very interesting question, I've been searching for great thinkers for many years.........and found very few

In regards to Philosophy:

I believe philosophy in almost its entirety was touched and done to death by the great Greek men of old, Plato, Socrates and Aristotle to name the three most well known, who all delved deep and generally covered all ground ....well enough ground for most of civilizations to follow it ever since.

My signature says it all really!

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty - Plato

In regards of thinkers:

I see today's thinkers as people like Howard Zin, Norm Chomsky, Michael Albert and other social commentators, linguistics and Journalists/writers
edit on 27-3-2013 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Jurgen Habermas is a powerhouse of a thinker. He has been influenced by so many strains of thinking such as American Pragmatism, critical theory, and Wittgenstein. A real tour de force.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
Micheal Tsarion is an Irish Historian that has a brilliant mind IMHO..........are you familiar with his work? Sorry not sure how to post links, but I highly recommend watching some of his lectures....fasinating history lessons, I know there are several on You-Tube......

Will check him out. Thank you

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
i know i'm gonna come over as a pi55 taker, and thats not my intention..but

cows

for real, firstly spend some time watching them chew the cud; eyes closed, laying down and breathing deeply. befriend one too and look deeply into it's eyes.

and no, i have not been "smoking"

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
All of them.
edit on 27-3-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If you like Astrotheology, there's Jordan Maxwell: lecture 1, 2, etc., etc..

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yo!

Right here.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
i know i'm gonna come over as a pi55 taker, and thats not my intention..but

cows

for real, firstly spend some time watching them chew the cud; eyes closed, laying down and breathing deeply. befriend one too and look deeply into it's eyes.

and no, i have not been "smoking"

You make a fair point. My only concern is that cows have been bred through the years to be docile animals, so they are easier to farm. Though the qualities you attribute to the cow would definitely benefit the human.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

a fair point
i could watch and listen to cows chew the cud forever though, it's most therapeutic

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Cows?

:-)

most uplifting thing I've heard in a while

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I can't think of any off hand.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

So many fascinating people out there - in every category

Not to veer away from what you intended, but I'm beginning to think that now, with the internet - it's all of us

I think it's an amazing thing - so many news sites, political sites - science, philosophy, art - thousands of bloggers

I love reading the comments on all of them, people contributing their opinions - their work - how we can change our thinking and how we look at each other

Kind of a conscious collective unconscious - the internet changed everything

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I would like to nominate two recent pioneers -

Vincent Cerf commonly known as the "Father of the Internet".
This man has been so monumental to our current way of life. Without his knowledge, forsight and motivation, we would not be here discussing this topic today. A truly brilliant mind.

My other nomination is Steve Jobs. Without this pioneering thinker, we may have had the internet, but we might very well need huge rooms of computer hardware to access them instead of our nice compact personal computers / cell phones / pda's.
Jobs was a true visionary and pioneer.

Interestingly, he founded the NeXT company which developed the NeXT system - which in turn - Tim Burners-Lee used to develop the WWW (and a NeXT computer, developed by Jobs used the very first server software developed by Lee) - which used Vincent's Cerf's TCP/IP technology to develop what we today, collectively know as the Internet / World Wide Web.

Even though these guys aren't "thinkers" in the classical context - I think it does apply here because our world isn't the world of the greeks, or romans. Ours is the modern, technological world - and in my opinion these three guys are our thinkers.
edit on 28-3-2013 by zeeon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
It seems we are always referring back to the philosophers of old and ancient times. From the times of Ancient Greece, Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. To the enlightenment with philosophers such as John Locke and Voltaire.

Who do you consider the greatest thinkers of our age? People who really promote a philosophical perspective on our modern society? Preferably still living.

I don't think we have very many, if any at all right now. Moreover, our planet of nations seems utterly and completely devoid of worthy leadership at nearly every level.

I guess with a little effort, you might find a few 'thinkers' out there that didn't also carry the title of 'stinker'. You just gotta go loaded for bear and make sure you have your handy, dandy Bureautic/Philosophic Isopolar Ralphometer ready.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I am almost afraid to say it as there must be some sort of 'stigma' or conspiracy I am uneducation about, but what about Steven Hawking? Can't help but see the wheels moving in that head!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join