It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea: its all fun and games till someone loses a city.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Ya, war with North Korea would be a true disaster for South Korea. No chance against the US but they could do real damage to the South. And for that matter it'd be crippling to the whole Korean peninsula. It's the Korean people who would be hurt the most; all of them.

I agree that we shouldn't underestimate them. Remember when people said the Iraq war would only last a few months because everyone would embrace us? I mean, just because we had a superior air force and a modern ground force we could just run in there and take it. All that power was made ineffective because of guerrilla warfare. This was made possible because many in the Iraq military put on civilian clothes and yet forged an underground insurgency. Continued assaults also created those who would join the insurgency. And this was probably not helped by the intentions of Iran and/or Russia and/or China who would not try as hard as the US to stop it.

We need to stop thinking in terms of the raw numbers and instead think about how North Korea might turn the tables so that our strengths become weaknesses. With North Korea the mountainous areas would be a challenge to secure. Considering how close North Korea sits to the South Korean capital, it's something that's very tricky. Who knows what plans they would put into action.

They have 1.2 million fanatical active military troops. Don't doubt for a moment that they'd commit suicidal acts to win some ground. Fed by extreme ignorance, they're more dangerous than Americans or South Koreans. And don't think the several million reserves will just drop their weapons and embrace the South. They've been cultured to think that the South is a puppet. Much hate is fostered by the regime in power. While I think a good number of people in North Korea want to escape and would in fact embrace the US and the South Korean army, I think that many millions of them will not and will blindly strike at them until the last moments. This war would have heavy death tolls.

It's possible that Kim Jong-Un is talking tough only to placate his regime and to give confidence to the citizens that they won't be pushed around. Perhaps Kim has peaceful plans that he cannot unveil yet and must slowly let his will come into being. So it could be that this is just a show. However, it might not be. Maybe Kim is as blind as is claimed. And this is why the South Koreans and the US are performing military exercises and acting as though the threats from the North are real.
edit on 27-3-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Sorry but the DMZ is penetrable and the SK forces have been known to slack off.

Read this article

A North Korean soldier who crossed 4 km of heavily armed border when he defected on Oct. 2 had to go to some trouble to draw attention to himself. Initial reports said that South Korean soldiers were oblivious until he knocked on the door of barracks, but in fact he had already knocked on the door of a guard post, to no avail.

And that was near the heavily guarded border near Kaesong.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I'll tell you what I think about this situation. If Israel or the USA strike Iran, you are going to see Nth Korea launching missiles all over Asia.. I think there is more to this than simply calling the Nth a bunch of delusional psychopaths. I find it funny they are ramping up the threats while Israel are pushing harder for a strike against Tehran. I think this will be an all or nithing conflict if it does eventually kick off.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

Even if people admit to themselves that they are potentially vulnerable to attack it doesn't change anything unless they are willing to leave the country to do something about it. So what difference does it make whether they acknowledge it or not? There is no way for us to know exactly where will be targeted.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
All i can say is that anyone who thinks NK cant hit the US mainland in niave at best. Just because they havnt built anything that can reach us doesnt mean they dont have it. With enough money you can buybanything in this world. That is part of the problem.. America has thought forbyears that.if anyone is doing something we would know it vut everyone knows the black market moves weapons and other items every day. We cant keep track of them all. NK is putting out all kind of video and audio crap to piss us off and then we do the same back.at them.just making things worse. Things have to change before some stupidsville with there finger on a button desides to press it and everything goes to hell in a hand basket. When we everyone realize that violence and trash talk only cause more violence and trash.talk.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
All i can say is that anyone who thinks NK cant hit the US mainland in niave at best. Just because they havnt built anything that can reach us doesnt mean they dont have it. With enough money you can buy anything in this world. That is part of the problem.. America has thought for years that.if anyone is doing something we would know it but everyone knows the black market moves weapons and other items every day. We cant keep track of them all. NK is putting out all kind of video and audio crap to piss us off and then we do the same back.at them.just making things worse. Things have to change before some stupidsville with there finger on a button desides to press it and everything goes to hell in a hand basket. When will everyone realize that violence and trash talk only cause more violence and trash.talk.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptNemo2012

Nth Korea Military

I don't think they would threaten the US mainland. As for taking the war to them in their part of the world, things could be significantly different.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PLAYERONE01

Originally posted by Druscilla

It's a long way from NK to US.
Any missile headed toward the US would need run a gauntlet of missile defense systems.

NK could certainly try to slow boat a launcher into short range from international waters. but, even then, there'd be time for intercept.

Sure, there's the whole conspiracy theory favorite buzz-word "false flag" to consider, as far as some ordinance slipping through the defense net, but, this happening is far more likely with a more conveniently sacrificial target that isn't necessarily so close to home.

It'd be foolish for NK to fire any nukes at anyone. It'd be immediate suicide. No one would need respond with nukes in return either. Conventional arms would be enough, and in the end, NK would be dissolved as a non-nation, divided up between China and South Korea with reparations in store for anyone accruing damage from the mess.

NK would be committing suicide if it simply tired conventional warfare.
So long as it held nukes in reserve, it might be able to deescalate a losing position, through bargaining, but, even then, little Kimmy could kiss whatever lifestyle he's use to goodbye in exchange for spider holes until he eventually gets got.

NK is making noise, like they always do, and their noise serves as being useful idiots.
So long as they're making noise, US/UN can justifiably move assets all over the planet that would otherwise raise eyebrows and concern among other nations.

No matter what NK says or does at this point, it's going to, and already is benefiting the US.
NK has already lost.

Their best move in this political theater is to shut up, close the windows, lock the doors, and curl into a tight little ball until everyone forgets about them in the face of some other world event.

Hmmm interesting, I applaud you for giving us a demonstration so early on Druscilla of the arrogance I was explaining. lol, amazing. its around 7000-8000 klms from the northern most part of North Korea to say Seattle and maybe L.A. but hey we dont really know what they have in store, but as long as your bullet proof ego's keep you going, it will make great TV if it all goes down.
BTW, your still in the middle east fighting goat farmers, this guy has a real army.
playerone01 i agree with you,as i keep saying didn,t they go into vietnam thinking the same thing it would be a walk over?when u have a army committed to the cause then may not be as easy as u think.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The only issue with NK is location
Friends to the south, and a giant pain in the arse to the north.
Lets say we did do a quick regime topple there...then what? China would want to take control...South Korea would also have plans..its the aftermath that is concerning moreso than any threat they think they pose.

ground troops doesn't matter. hell, give em 20 million standing soldiers..thats just more graves to dig from the west's Nintendo wars. (ground troop size hasn't mattered in about 30 years)

Anyhow, for now, nobody can do anything..let the latest madman make his threats...should he make good on any of it, even attempt...then the north will no doubt finally have some light in their nighttime.

I am not sure if China would want them after though...it is a bit of a money pit, not to mention all the deprogramming/reprogramming that would come after taking them over...it would be nice to have a united korea under southern rule though. I think everyone would win with another consumer rising up

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
May I remind all of the doubters that North Korea has already displayed the ability to effectively attack any country in the world including the United States. Who remembers back in December of 2012 when N. Korea launched a rocket that dropped off a satellite into space?

Not a small feat.

The satellite orbiting the Earth passes over every main country as many of the satellites do. Now realize that the N. Korean satellite could have easily been a nuclear device capable or releasing an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) as it orbited a chosen country. This EMP has the capabilities of taking out any countries electric grid bringing a technological country into immediate turmoil. A chaos large enough to ensue panic of unimaginable proportions. The affected country would then start to collapse from the inside out and possibly become unstable enough for a foreign invasion.

No one should be foolish enough to laugh off N. Korea. You can bet Goliath wasn't laughing as he laid dying from a single stone to the head that some puny dude slung at him.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
i know everyone is taking these threats not too seriously but why is america boosting its defence if there isn,t a threat and why is no one talking about going in and neutralizing it before it becomes one?is it cause they think they may be?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by PLAYERONE01
I don't get this attitude, do Americans feel that they are shielded some how from North Korea's Nuclear and bio/chemical weapons, that they inferior and dilapidated so bad that they cannot possibly hit American soil.
Well I hate to brake it to you people but that is the effect of decades of propaganda and brainwashing,
The old saying that the "deadliest bullet is the one that hits you" rings true in this situation, when NK launches which I have no doubt that they will in the near future, they will be wiped out, KJU knows this, but which American city is the American government going to sacrifice, because if at least one missile strikes true and hits the mainland USA, then as far as they are concerned, its a victory not only for them but every radical regime out there.
So how many Americans are prepared to be Nuked or Chem' bombed to wipe out North Korea?

This source gives some kind of a rundown on what they have, but unless they have a spy of their own in there we cant be complacent.
english.pravda.ru...

chemical weapons:

The US will intercept and destroy any NK missile that comes within 1,000 miles of mainland USA. Book it.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
If by a stroke of luck or a miracle, one of their missiles actually reaches the USA and by another stroke of genius actually goes off, there is nothing one can do about it. But will China want Pyongyang nuked if their is an east wind?

But here's a question. Would you throw a stone and a neighbors house if you knew if you did it, they''d come over burn your house down and kill all your family. I think not. It;s not North Korea
who are idiots but those that suggest they would attempt this.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

That's not how EMPs work.

A single device will not take down the US. Sorry. It could affect a small area, but that is all it would do.

To take out our infrastructure with EMPs, you'd need a lot of them, and they would have to be re-entry devices (example: ICBMs), not a satellite.

What I have seen is several unsuccessful attempts to "launch a satellite" and then when they finally did succeed at it, the satellite itself has failed and is tumbling.

I'm not impressed.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
what is they're making all these waves about launching a missile when in reality they're figuring out a way to smuggle the nuke on to american soil? all they'd need is a lot of money because people here would give them the key to the city for the right price, "hey what's that under your arm? is that a nuclear missile? oh i don't care just give me the money." and to catch us off guard. in my opinion it's really the only way they could actually do any harm.. they're way to far away and we could technically take our time if we wanted to, to destroy the missile at any point from NK to the US. i'm sure their target is either washington or new york so i'm sure even they couldn't think a missile launch isn't really feasible.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
its going to happen eventually..

the elite will move to take them out whether they conform or not, the country is a loose cannon.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

That's not how EMP's work?

Have you ever heard of Starfish Prime?

How about 'high-altitude nuclear explosions' (HANEs)?

High-altitude nuclear blasts produce significantly different effects. In the lower reaches of vacuous space, the resulting fireball grows much larger and faster than it does near the ground, and the radiation it emits travels much farther. The strong EMP that results has several components, according to Papadopoulos. In the first few tens of nanoseconds, about a tenth of a percent of the weapon yield appears as powerful gamma rays with energies of one to three mega-electron volts (MeV, a unit of electromagnetic energy). The gamma rays rain down into the atmosphere and collide with air molecules, depositing their energy to produce huge quantities of positive ions and recoil electrons (also known as Compton electrons). The impacts create MeV-energy Compton electrons that then accelerate and spiral along the earth’s magnetic field lines. The resulting transient electric fields and currents that arise generate electromagnetic emissions in the radio-frequency range of 15 to 250 megahertz (MHz, or one million cycles per second). This high-altitude EMP occurs between 30 and 50 kilometers above the earth’s surface. The size of the emitting region depends on the altitude and yield of the nuclear burst. For a one-megaton explosion at 200 kilometers in altitude, the diameter is about 600 kilometers, Papadopoulos states. The high-altitude EMP can create electric potentials that can exceed 1,000 volts–enough to cripple any sensitive electrical infrastructure on the ground that is within direct line of sight.

Linky
edit on 27-3-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Ah yes Qatar Regime State Media AlJazeera

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Being an electrical engineer, and having served in the US Navy on weapons systems, I'm here to tell you:

It will not destroy our infrastructure or shut us all down. Period.

You NEED more than one device. We are a large country.

I'm also finding it rather silly that you think NK has that technology available to them at this time.

It's good to be a bit paranoid. Then there's going a bit overboard.......

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Being an electrical engineer, and having served in the US Navy on weapons systems, I'm here to tell you:

It will not destroy our infrastructure or shut us all down. Period.

You NEED more than one device. We are a large country.

I'm also finding it rather silly that you think NK has that technology available to them at this time.

It's good to be a bit paranoid. Then there's going a bit overboard.......

A electrical engineer isn't related to anything nuclear is it?

A nuclear device and the capability to get them in space is all they need and they have them. How silly is that?

Paranoid or aware of my surroundings?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join