It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA director faces a quandary over clandestine service appointment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

www.washingtonpost.com

By Greg Miller and Julie Tate

As John Brennan moved into the CIA director’s office this month, another high-level transition was taking place down the hall.

A week earlier, a woman had been placed in charge of the CIA’s clandestine service for the first time in the agency’s history. She is a veteran officer with broad support inside the agency. But she also helped run the CIA’s detention and interrogation program after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and signed off on the 2005 decision to destroy videotapes of pr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Brennan seems to have a problem with his acting head for National Clandestine Services.The acting director was one of the Agency staffers who ordered interrogation tapes destroyed at the height of the torture scandal.Seems that this is the little scandal that won't go away.As I write this the CIA is also preparing a response to a report by the Senate Intelligence Committee about the program.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
New Head of C.I.A.’s Clandestine Service Is Picked, as Acting Chief Is Passed Over

By MARK MAZZETTI

WASHINGTON — John O. Brennan, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency, has replaced the acting head of the agency’s clandestine service, a woman who was at the center of the agency’s detention and interrogation program and played a central role in the destruction of interrogation videotapes, American officials said on Tuesday.

In replacing her, Mr. Brennan could be signaling a shift in the agency’s focus away from over a decade of intense manhunts and paramilitary operations — and putting distance between his tenure and the C.I.A.'s detention and interrogation program.

Mr. Brennan’s choice to lead the National Clandestine Service is a career undercover officer in his late 50s who has served in Pakistan and other countries. The officer was chosen after Mr. Brennan considered a small number of candidates. One of them was the female officer who had been the acting leader; another was the head of the agency’s Counterterrorism Center, who for years has managed the C.I.A.'s escalation of drone strikes in Pakistan and other countries.
Article

join