Can you reject Paul and still be a "Christian"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Paul was a murderous psychopath whose writings go against Jesus' own at times.
According to the exaggerated 'historical fiction' of Luke, someone who never met Paul, though he wrote stories as if he was best buddies with him.
All that Paul admitted to in his own writings was getting into heated debates to trip up the Christians in their arguments.
He never hinted at using any type of physical violence on anyone.
edit on 26-3-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

Grace is the gift from God that gives everyone the ability to believe in Jesus. Outside of Christianity, it would have another meaning, since the one I mentioned is how it was applied by Paul who made it into a technical term in his theology.

Jesus is the love of God and the ability to love God increases as the vitality of the soul increases. The belief in He Who established such vitality, is faith which increases vitality itself.

I never knew what "grace" was until I was enlightened by wisdom to the meaning of the word. Reading the bible had shown me the word, awareness of the Source of Life Itself shown me a mystery.
edit on 103131p://222 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Personally I don't care either way... this is really about the topic, not about what he wrote
There is no 'Paul' outside of "what he wrote".
If you think there is, then you are jumping on the Luke bandwagon of fictional 'history'.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

That is a bold statement... considering luke is known in many "Christian" circles as Pauls companion...

Care to explain that?
Those 'Christian circles' learned that from the Book of Acts, written by Luke himself.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

There is no 'Paul' outside of "what he wrote".
If you think there is, then you are jumping on the Luke bandwagon of fictional 'history'.

The person known as Paul does not have to have actually existed to be a very real entity in a man's intrinsic reality.

edit on 103131p://222 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

read the thread in my signature.

The Source of Life Itself is a very real Presence, and in reading the Bible you begin to see behind the words the Word. And the more you look for Him the more you get to know Him and then you realise that He never leaves your side, although He may appear to.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
pauline christianity is what people who follow paul's warped version of the teachings of the christ.
true followers of jesus might be called messianic jews,or perhaps even essene jews.
the real jesus would never give his name to any religious group.
jewish,or any other!!!
HE WAS JEWISH!!!!!!
it would be blasphemy to any jew at the time to claim 'godship'!!!
hows a bout you put down the bible for a min.(don't get me wrong,it is an amazing book that i read over and over!),
and start reading a history book on jewish life in judea 2000+ years ago!!!
or even a few books on jewish law and religion of the period!
don't bother giving me quotes from the new testament please!
the book of acts gives a good idea about paul's version of a rabbi that died 50+ years before paul was 'saved'!
he battled with james,jeaus brother,the true leader of jesus' followers,thru out the whole book!
try reading some books about james the just,you may be surprised!

heres another good book ---
'the jesus discovery'
by - James D. Tabor
Simcha Jacobovici.

i thought it was a really cool read!

peace

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

btw op

wasnt paul crucified upside down

all im saying is, he came from Tarsis...i wrote a thread about that creepy place

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Jesus taught grace through faith as the method of justification. Peter and John echoed it as well as Paul.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
reply to post by Akragon

btw op

wasnt paul crucified upside down

No, that was Peter.

Paul, as a Roman citizen, was executed by being beheaded -- Roman citizens could not be crucified.

edit on 26-3-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Of course you can! Everything you really need to know about Jesus can be found in the four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) which are 4 different perspectives of the life of Christ, what He did and what He said that we need to know. One could never read any other part of the Bible and still be a Christian since being a Christian is technically just being a follower of Christ. Heck, you wouldn't even be required to READ about Christ but only listen, learn, believe in Him, and follow His teachings.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Your thinking about Peter... Paul was imprisoned in Rome and was beheaded apparently when Nero was in power.. He got a lighter death because he was a Roman citizen.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
That is a good question. But isn't it believe in Jesus not Jesus and Paul.

Correct, but it's more than believe as in like what children do with Santa, the type of "faith" spoken of in the scripture is more like "trust/reliance".

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

According to the exaggerated 'historical fiction' of Luke, someone who never met Paul, though he wrote stories as if he was best buddies with him.

Like Paul did about Jesus?

Regardless if Paul killed people or not, his writings conflict with what what Jesus supposedly taught. As soon as the first conflict appeared Christians should know not to listen to this guy, unless they want to create another religion putting Paul above Jesus, which is kind of what modern day Christianity is.
edit on 26-3-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Akragon

Jesus taught grace through faith as the method of justification. Peter and John echoed it as well as Paul.

Jesus didn't even use the word Grace actually... how does one teach such a thing without using the word you're teaching?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Can you reject the writing of Paul who actually wrote the bulk of Christian scripture and still consider yourself a Christian?

Paul is in harmony with the rest of the New Testament and Hebrew Bible, so I'm not sure what the point would be, but I suppose that someone could reject his theological books and still be a Christian. The roots of the Nicene Creed, the attestation of a Christian, are in the Gospels, not in the writings of Paul.

Paul is, in a sense, the "Idiot's Guide to the Bible" -- an explanation of Christ for people who couldn't sort it out for themselves, on the basis of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Plenty of "Christians" reject Christ's teachings all together.

Can you reject Christs teachings and be a real Christian....and get away with it

The Spirit of God reveals Christs salvation, not the bible

link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by thePharaoh

Your thinking about Peter... Paul was imprisoned in Rome and was beheaded apparently when Nero was in power.. He got a lighter death because he was a Roman citizen.

wait let me get this straight

the vaticans courtyard is called st peters square
named after a guy crucified upside down!

im soo confused

haa
edit on 26-3-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Luke never knew Paul, but knew of him

That is a bold statement... considering luke is known in many "Christian" circles as Pauls companion...

Care to explain that?

Luke traveled with Paul on both his second and third missionary journeys.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by Akragon

Luke never knew Paul, but knew of him

Care to explain that?

Luke traveled with Paul on both his second and third missionary journeys.

That was my understanding as well...

You best take that up with Mr. Jmdewey

edit on 26-3-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join