It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It’s a lost decade. From 12 to 22, they serve no purpose whatsoever! Well, other than annoying the life out of everyone else on the planet that is.

From the little thug wannabes with their pants down to their knees trying to say they have “swag” and going on and on about the “young bucks” that are only a year or two younger and ALSO children to the drama queens who think their value in life is determined by the clothes they wear and who they lay down for. Yeah, I guess that sometimes continues on up in the years but for most, it ends in the early 20’s, thank God.

Then you have the little “goth” kids who conform to the stereotype and scream about how they’re “different”. No kid, you’re not different or you wouldn’t be dressed like every other goth kid in the world. Then they cut themselves for attention yet whine like their foot was amputated if they get a paper cut or a bee sting. They have got to be the BIGGEST babies of all just wanting attention and doing everything in their power to get it while screaming that they don’t want it.

For each and every little subgroup out there, we can rest assured that at some point in time, they’ll have children of their own (heaven forbid, since they really shouldn’t breed) and those children will do the same things they did for the same reasons and make their adult lives as miserable as they tried to make everyone else's.

I’m so so so so SO sick of these little twits thinking they invented something. Your parents went through the same things, their parents went through the same things, their parents before them went through the same things and the people who come after you will go through the same things.

Stop your whining, grow up and make something of yourself instead of whining and crying for others to do it for you even though you swear to high heaven you don’t at the very instance you are doing it. You aren’t new, you aren’t special and you aren’t anything we haven’t seen before. We had to grow up and so do you, ...so do the ones who come after you.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You say they should grow up. I would argue that the things you mention are a big part of the process of growing up. Finding out where you fit, how to express yourself, what your strengths and weaknesses are, what types of people you mesh with...these are all important parts of the stages of growing up.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

You said it!!!

When the girls were teenagers one went through the whole "Goth" phase, complete with facial piercings, gauges, tattoos, black nails and lips and all things having to do with chains or fishnets. The other went for the whole "Abercrombie & Fitch must wear the most expensive of everything right down to the underwear and hairspray" phase, complete with pierced belly button and highlights. Thank the good Lord they finally grew up!

We have a rule in our family: Once any kid hits age 13 we officially hate them and will continue to do so until they snap the hell out of whichever teen phase they have adopted! My poor mother- she had to live through my "Punk Rock" phase and my sister's "Madonna" phase. We can never repay that woman enough!

edit on 26-3-2013 by littled16 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

"I would there were no age between sixteen and three-and-twenty, or that youth would sleep out the rest; for there is nothing in the between but getting wenches with child, wronging the ancientry, stealing, fighting..."
"The Winter's Tale"- WS

edit on 26-3-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I would agree with you to an extent. This difference is nowadays the parents aren't raising the children, television and and increasingly the internet are. When I was growing up, my parents explained to me what I did wrong and why, and tried to set an example of how I should be living. I often think of something my father used to say to me:

"You know, it's amazing how much smarter my dad got the older I got. Then one day I realized he wasn't getting smarter, I was realizing how many things he told me that I hadn't agreed with then were starting to make sense. Wait till you see how much smarter I get as you get older."

He was right.

Without that guidance, and with an increasing need for social acceptance not just from their real-life friends but a need to get 1000's of likes on their internet sites, it not only encourages an increase in defining themselves by what the other teens and facebook friends think instead of adults, they are pushing the envelope to outdo whatever they see others doing on the internet so they can video it, upload it, and become the next youtube sensation. I hopeful that since this is the first generation to really have to deal with these issues, that it will level out some as people begin to see the long term consequences of these actions. Maybe in a generation or two things will go back to a bit more normal, or at least evolve into something a little less dramatic. Til then, it's going to be a bumpy ride...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumCypher

I'm with you there, 100%. Parents are mostly non present these days.

But, then, arent they a larger part of the problem than kids trying to figure out who they are in the world?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
You say they should grow up. I would argue that the things you mention are a big part of the process of growing up. Finding out where you fit, how to express yourself, what your strengths and weaknesses are, what types of people you mesh with...these are all important parts of the stages of growing up.

Perhaps, but the ones who get on my nerves need to do it faster!!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by kthxbai

You said it!!!

When the girls were teenagers one went through the whole "Goth" phase, complete with facial piercings, gauges, tattoos, black nails and lips and all things having to do with chains or fishnets. The other went for the whole "Abercrombie & Fitch must wear the most expensive of everything right down to the underwear and hairspray" phase, complete with pierced belly button and highlights. Thank the good Lord they finally grew up!

We have a rule in our family: Once any kid hits age 13 we officially hate them and will continue to do so until they snap the hell out of whichever teen phase they have adopted! My poor mother- she had to live through my "Punk Rock" phase and my sister's "Madonna" phase. We can never repay that woman enough!

edit on 26-3-2013 by littled16 because: spelling

But your own kids definitely repaid you on her behalf!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai
It’s a lost decade. From 12 to 22, they serve no purpose whatsoever!

I would have to greatly disagree with you on this quote, right here. Those years serve a greater purpose than you realize. It's the time when everyone discovers who they are. You wouldn't be you, if it weren't for your experiences during your 12-20's.

Sure, you are right, the kids can be quite annoying during this time period, but I don't blame them. When you're really young, sure, you're all different from one another, but for the most part you're told how to think, how to act, how to dress, how to just be. Then, you reach an age where now you can tell yourself how to think, how to act, how to dress, how to be. So it's a great period of self discovery. Though unfortunately most kids have a pretty huge ego to go with it, and tend to go overboard. Some of the ways kids dress nowadays make me shake my head, but it was no different than when I was their age.

So as annoying as kids can be during this time period, just remember, you went through this too. Granted, maybe it's not in the ways these kids act, but all kids are stupid at that age. Anyone with attitude who thinks they know everything is usually stupid. But that's how you learn. They're learning. You had to learn once, too. Remember that.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Necrobile

They still need to GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

new topics

top topics

join