It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The price of a gallon of milk.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I looked through some newspaper inserts and at a glance I saw a gallon of milk being advertised for $2.99 a gallon. I know better though, I know the milk I buy always spoils before the expiration date, it always seems to expire so quickly too. The taste of milk has gone downhill over the last few years. Even the stuff I was paying 5-6 a gallon started tasting "watered down".

Has anyone noticed milk doesn't keep up well and the strange non milk taste it has now? If the milk has been labeled free of Bovine growth hormone it could still contain a different hormone.

Now I drink goat milk that costs me $13.00 a gallon, it's pretty steep but now I finally feel as though I have decent milk again...oh and my milk takes about 1-2 months to expire depending on when I buy it.

edit on 26-3-2013 by Knives4eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Where are you located, in the States?
I've noticed the milk tasting differently as well. Both with %2 and whole milk.

ETA: looking at smokingmans post; I've noticed that there's no expiration date on the milk but a "sell by" date. There's a difference between the two.
edit on 26-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Not at all. I think milk is delicious. My milk never seems to expire early either. Even lasts a day or two longer in some cases. Maybe you are not storing your milk at a cold enough temp?
You can have your expensive goat milk, I will stick to my 2.50 gallon milk. I go through three a month, and spend about half of what you spend on goat milk. To each their own, now I want some cookies

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Man, if the taste of milk has gone down hill, then now it must be on the level of sewage water

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Texas

Also I always avoided the cheaper brand cowmilks because they always had a strong industrial plastic smell when you sniffed directly into the gallon of milk so I would use a brand like Borden.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman
Not at all. I think milk is delicious. My milk never seems to expire early either. Even lasts a day or two longer in some cases. Maybe you are not storing your milk at a cold enough temp?
You can have your expensive goat milk, I will stick to my 2.50 gallon milk. I go through three a month, and spend about half of what you spend on goat milk. To each their own, now I want some cookies

Location if you don't mind or are you near dairy businesses?

My milk used to be perfectly fine going past a day or 2 on the expiration date maybe a year ago but now it seems it was already on it's way to funkytown the moment I bought it. I have definitely noticed an awry smell or two from a gallon of milk that's supposedly fresh.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

AH ha! That could be why. Somewhere down the line the company is cutting corners. I buy generic milk or sometimes from Meadow Brook, because their local here.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by Knives4eyes

AH ha! That could be why. Somewhere down the line the company is cutting corners. I buy generic milk or sometimes from Meadow Brook, because their local here.

Man you're brave, I'm wouldn't drop a dollar for a gallon of generic milk.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I am glad I am lactose intolerant , Have not bought milk in 10 years....I do like a tiny bit of old chedar now and again but cant have too much or I get those wonderful side effects....

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

If you miss milk in all it's creamy breastmilk like ( I can't shake the image of breasts when I drink this stuff, never had any but goat milk is just great) gloriness usually goat milk will be tolerated since it has a lower lactose level or perhaps there is mild milk allergies involved..

www.everything-goat-milk.com...

Also it looks like I found my answer I suppose....

"There are so many variables in this question that it is difficult to answer. For example, someone living in a hot climate (like Florida or California) might find that their milk expires before the use by date as the process of opening and closing the refrigerator door lets in hot bursts of air."-ask

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knives4eyes

Originally posted by thesmokingman

Location if you don't mind or are you near dairy businesses?

My milk used to be perfectly fine going past a day or 2 on the expiration date maybe a year ago but now it seems it was already on it's way to funkytown the moment I bought it. I have definitely noticed an awry smell or two from a gallon of milk that's supposedly fresh.

Denver Colorado.
We also have dairies around here that deliver milk in a glass bottle. Taste much better than in the plastic.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I pay $6.00 a gallon for raw milk straight from the cow. Price has not increased since I started buying it 6 years ago.

My raw goat milk cost me $6.00 a half gallon. Sometimes I leave a little more. That's what I willingly donate to the guy. If I run into hard times and can't afford anything, it costs me nothing. I leave more because I can and I know that some that get it can't afford anything. So I WILLINGLY and VOLUNTARILY help. They just want people to be healthy.

Both are straight from the farm, on the honor system. I go in to a little building with a fridge. Take what I want, and leave cash in a box. Same with eggs.

I feel so lucky in this respect.

Store bought? Tastes like swill. Havn't touched the stuff in over 6 years.

Edit to say that goat milk lasts a loooong time in the fridge. My daugheter was scared of raw milk. If we have some in the fridge, it smells and goes bad after a week. The goat milk smells fresh after 3 weeks or more. I buy a bunch and freeze it and take out half gallon at a time. I thaw it on the counter overnight.
edit on 26-3-2013 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
I pay $6.00 a gallon for raw milk straight from the cow. Price has not increased since I started buying it 6 years ago.

My raw goat milk cost me $6.00 a half gallon. Sometimes I leave a little more. That's what I willingly donate to the guy. If I run into hard times and can't afford anything, it costs me nothing. I leave more because I can and I know that some that get it can't afford anything. So I WILLINGLY and VOLUNTARILY help. They just want people to be healthy.

Both are straight from the farm, on the honor system. I go in to a little building with a fridge. Take what I want, and leave cash in a box. Same with eggs.

I feel so lucky in this respect.

Store bought? Tastes like swill. Havn't touched the stuff in over 6 years.

Edit to say that goat milk lasts a loooong time in the fridge. My daugheter was scared of raw milk. If we have some in the fridge, it smells and goes bad after a week. The goat milk smells fresh after 3 weeks or more. I buy a bunch and freeze it and take out half gallon at a time. I thaw it on the counter overnight.
edit on 26-3-2013 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

Bravo! That's the way it ought to be. I'm working toward that myself on our small farm. If one reads the history of milk production in the US, particularly in the 1800's or so near NYC, the direction our dairy market went was decided and the whole story is scary. Raw milk is the way to go unless you get it from unhealthy cows that are fed unhealthy diets in unhealthy conditions. It's a lot less dangerous than the factory garbage we get at the grocery store. I think the USDA would prefer we thought otherwise though.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
We use Lactose free milk in this household. We usually go thru 1 1/2 Gal a month at $2.88 per 1/2 Gal.

It's just used on breakfast cereal, oatmeal, or when making mashed potatoes. We're not big milk drinkers. Actually still have a 1/2 Gal unopened, so have used even less than usual this month.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
aH milk! Canadian dairy milk in a wax carton.......doesnt stink like a plastic factory....tastes like well fresh breasts!
MMMMM
Better than US milk any day......

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
We're pushing $4 for a gallon here in Arkansas.

It's a mainstay in our diet, particularly for my husband, who can easily polish off an entire container in a day...and chocolate milk is a luxury we can barely afford. I'm semi lactose intolerant, so the chocolate actually helps aid the digestion and takes the edge off the intolerance factor.

It sure would be nice to have dairy fresh options available for a reasonable rate.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The price in WA seems to be on par with the average cost in this thread.

Milk is poison to me, haven't touched it in years.

I stick to alternatives, like Almond Milk. YUM.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

Originally I was going to completely drop dairy but noticed an increasing frequency of "bad for you alternative milks" stories.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Well I am in Michigan and when I first moved to this town about 9 months ago a 2% gallon of milk at Aldi was $1.69 now its up to $1.99 and theirs has a SELL BY date and ours last 3 1/2 weeks past the sell by date.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Can you get half a gallon?

I dunno why you would need 4 liters of milk unless you had a big family.

I pay about 1 dollar a Liter here.

4 liters is about a gallon.

We only get up to 3 liter bottles.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join