It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Media Phrasiology "OPPOSITE SEX MARRIAGE"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Originally posted by ClintK

Originally posted by Glinda
reply to post by ClintK

But what IS the argument for the media to suddenly redefine marriage? In a concerted, meme issued "lets all be on the same page" format?

The argument is very clear: the media outlets who used the term are trying to be fair to both sides. You are essentially discriminating against gays when you call opposite sex marriage simply --MARRIAGE-- but then but then fail to refer to same sex marriages by the same term.

Actually the media using "same sex" and "opposite sex" marriage is creating another rift rather than being fair. In order for it to be fair and to be considered equal it should all just be referred to as marriage just as it has always been called. Isn't that what homosexual couples want- equality? Why would they let the media induce them to settle for less? It's just another way to differentiate marriages instead of treating them equally.

I agree totally. Both opposite sex and same sex marriages should just be called "marriage." And some day, I think they will be. But that will be when it's no longer an issue. For the moment, because it is such a discussed issue, the terms "opposite sex marriage" and "same sex marriage" are probably useful to help avoid confusion.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
reply to post by ClintK

But what IS the argument for the media to suddenly redefine marriage? In a concerted, meme issued "lets all be on the same page" format?

The argument is very clear: the media outlets who used the term are trying to be fair to both sides. You are essentially discriminating against gays when you call opposite sex marriage simply --MARRIAGE-- but then but then fail to refer to same sex marriages by the same term.

Actually the media using "same sex" and "opposite sex" marriage is creating another rift rather than being fair. In order for it to be fair and to be considered equal it should all just be referred to as marriage just as it has always been called. Isn't that what homosexual couples want- equality? Why would they let the media induce them to settle for less? It's just another way to differentiate marriages instead of treating them equally.

In defense of the media, there has to be a way to differentiate when discussing it. You can't say "The recent polls say that more young people are in favor of marriage, while more older Americans are against marriage." What? You have to differentiate between what kind of marriage you are talking about. Once same sex marriage is legalized and it's a done deal -- then we can call it all what it is --- marriage, period.

To the OP, I would say that "traditional" is really not the best term. I know some heterosexuals who have marriages that I would not consider "traditional", i.e., open marriage, sexless marriage, etc.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
What the heck? Opposite sex marriage, that does not even flow in my tongue.. fudge that.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't flow from your tongue. That's not a valid argument for the media not using it.

I am of the opinion, that the idiot media talking heads can call it what ever they want.

It doesnt mean I am ever going to use it, nor will most people. It is idiotic, therefore of no consequence to anyone with a brain.

Dont you guys remeber the guy a few years ago that that tried to try to get everyone to say heaveno instead of hello?

It was somthing about he didnt like to use a word that has hell in it as greeting, or some other such nonsense.

Why call a dog a man bred auditory alarm quadrapedal security system? Dog works just fine, and has worked just fine for as long as we have had them.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

That is great, the reactions alone will be worth it.

I suppose though if people don't like "opposite sex marriage", once we see what marriage is and should be, we can ditch "same sex marriage" as well and unanimously have just marriage.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
With the changing times, terms have to be altered to differentiate while speaking of topics that can be confusing.

There are now 10 states that allow same sex marriage, so technically, it's just "marriage". In order to differentiate for the states that are still debating it, they have to give it a term. The term they gave it is opposite sex marriage to fall along the same line as the already accepted term "same sex marriage".

So, technically, the media is being LESS distracting and showing no favoritism either way. They are actually staying neutral, just as the media should. Some common examples are "pro life" or "pro choice" instead of saying "pro-life/anti-life" or "pro-choice/anti-choice" since those terms don't really represent the group that are promoting the ideas (regardless of what fox news wants to declare).

So, instead of saying "pro marriage/anti marriage", just like in the pro-choice/pro-life instance, they are using "same sex marriage/opposite sex marriage" to differentiate.

I, personally, have no problem with what they are doing in this case, it's actually logical and steps away from the emotional side of it all.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ClintK

reply to post by kaylaluv

The problem with that is that once the media coins terms that the public picks up on and adopts they tend to become a part of the pop culture and once that happens it is hard to get rid of them. I understand that until all marriages are considered equal they have to be referred to as something, I'm just afraid the terms will "stick" and despite any favorable ruling that homosexual couples will still not be considered equal.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

reply to post by ClintK

reply to post by kaylaluv

The problem with that is that once the media coins terms that the public picks up on and adopts they tend to become a part of the pop culture and once that happens it is hard to get rid of them. I understand that until all marriages are considered equal they have to be referred to as something, I'm just afraid the terms will "stick" and despite any favorable ruling that homosexual couples will still not be considered equal.

You do have a point. There are many places that still make sure they mention "interracial marriage" when it involves people of two different races. Even though it's still marriage the same as any other marriage, they feel the need to add the descriptor in there to make it "less worthy" in their own, racist eyes

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai

You do have a point. There are many places that still make sure they mention "interracial marriage" when it involves people of two different races. Even though it's still marriage the same as any other marriage, they feel the need to add the descriptor in there to make it "less worthy" in their own, racist eyes

Indeed my friend, indeed!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional

Originally posted by luciddream
What the heck? Opposite sex marriage, that does not even flow in my tongue.. fudge that.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't flow from your tongue. That's not a valid argument for the media not using it.

I am of the opinion, that the idiot media talking heads can call it what ever they want.

It doesnt mean I am ever going to use it, nor will most people. It is idiotic, therefore of no consequence to anyone with a brain.

For someone who says it's of no consequence, you sure seem upset about it.

Calling something "idiotic" and "of no consequence to anyone with a brain" might make you feel good because you've managed to insult people who see things differently than you. But insults are of no consequence in arguing the rightness or wrongness of something.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join