It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Media Phrasiology "OPPOSITE SEX MARRIAGE"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Own the language, own the culture...

Today, during the lamestream media frenzy over the US Supreme Court hearing oral arguments regarding California Proposition 8 (Same Sex Marriage Ban) an interesting "linguistic twist" has been introduced. Rather than refer to the current matrimonial definition (one man/one woman), I have heard various media (NPR, CNN) now reference what would be considered "TRADIONAL MARRIAGE" or even just plain "MARRIAGE" as "OPPOSITE SEX MARRIAGE." In deference to to "SAME SEX" marriage, but at the same time, by changing the language used, changing the semantics of the argument. A concerted media assault on traditional marriage and around about endorsement of same sex marriage (by what is no longer a "neutral" Fourth Estate).

The subtleties of this are, to me, the same, as "Global Warming" ooops...now "Climate Change." Control the language, the tone, ultimately control the outcome, is., the societal "change."

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Very clever on the part of the homosexual marriage proponents. Make it seem like they have already won, which inevitably they will.

Personally, I could care less.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

I don't see anything wrong with calling traditional marriage "opposite sex marriage." If we can say "same sex marriage" why not "opposite sex marriage?" What's good for the goose...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Why not outlaw marriage completely?

Any children born could be immediately taken to be raised by the state, making sure that they learn exactly what the state wants them to learn.

In a single generation, they willno longer need to use these techniques that they are using now, via the media.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ClintK

Again, I'll go to the semantics of word use. Opposite=different:
(adjective)
1. not alike in character or quality; differing dissimilar: The two are different.
2. not identical; separate or distinct: three different answers.
3. various; several: Different people told me the same story.

Words have meaning. And concerted media efforts to "define" a term are, IMO, a manipulation of what is being reported. I was not "following" the SCOTUS story today--just hearing random news reports and the "new" term of "opposite sex marriage" terminology just struck me as odd. It just jumped from the media accounts at my senses.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Aren't men and women the opposite sex? What's wrong with saying it? There's nothing wrong with saying opposite sex marriage. Exactly what harm is caused anyone? I think the media did a good job. They're trying to be objective, to have a level playing field.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
What the heck? Opposite sex marriage, that does not even flow in my tongue.. fudge that.

when you say Marriage, its the traditional marriage, because that came first.

About the Global Warming, the reason it was said that because they did not understand the whole procedure... they just saw the theoretical after effect, which was warming of globe due to greenhouse gases blocking out wavelength. But Climate change is term used to say the entire planet environmental change not just the effect of green house gases, climate change can even include dumping of toxic waste, and deforestation.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It would be nice if we could just call it all marriage and get on with our lives.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
It would be nice if we could just call it all marriage and get on with our lives.

I agree! Why can't any marriage simply just be called MARRIAGE?
Geebus, it means the same thing no matter what gender people are! Why do we have to have a federally mandated politically correct term for every damn thing?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
What the heck? Opposite sex marriage, that does not even flow in my tongue.. fudge that.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't flow from your tongue. That's not a valid argument for the media not using it.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ClintK

It doesn't matter that it doesn't flow from your tongue.

Of course it matters to the person saying it.
Everything doesn't have to be an argument. That is part of the problem today, a person can't even have an opinion on how much they like or dislike saying a word without being chastised. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else comes along and blames the poster for being a homophobe.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Why not outlaw marriage completely?

Any children born could be immediately taken to be raised by the state, making sure that they learn exactly what the state wants them to learn.

In a single generation, they willno longer need to use these techniques that they are using now, via the media.

What an idea, I am surpised they havent thought of that yet. Well on second thought, they probably have thought of it, and planned for its implementation.

Some of the government, especially the U.N. documentation about engineering society..........it is at least as bad.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Can't believe even with all the statistics that exist that people would want to get married to ANYONE..

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ClintK

But what IS the argument for the media to suddenly redefine marriage? In a concerted, meme issued "lets all be on the same page" format?

There is another thread I just saw, here on ATS, on the Gay Rights aspect of the SCOTUS arguments of today. My point is, ONCE AGAIN the media is doing a collective redefining of the news. Up until this afternoon "marriage" was the traditonal term. Today, it was caveated into "OPPOSITE SEX" and "SAME SEX" by media spin. It's the manipulation of culture by a small group of media elites.

See how the NEW term works it's way into the lexicon.
edit on 26-3-2013 by Glinda because: Typo

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

reply to post by ClintK

Everything doesn't have to be an argument. That is part of the problem today, a person can't even have an opinion on how much they like or dislike saying a word without being chastised. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else comes along and blames the poster for being a homophobe.

I never said that you had to say it. If you don't like to say it, don't. I only said I think the media is just being accurate and fair to use that expression, and that your not liking it is not an argument for the MEDIA to not say it. They're just trying to be fair.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClintK

reply to post by ClintK

I never said that you had to say it. If you don't like to say it, don't. I only said I think the media is just being accurate and fair to use that expression, and that your not liking it is not an argument for the MEDIA to not say it. They're just trying to be fair.
Who said I didn't like it?
Or are you guessing that?
You said it doesn't matter, I said it (of course) does matter to the person that doesn't like saying it.
For the record, I have said it several times today and didn't really mind it at all.
It is easier to just say 'marriage' and not need to associate it with the sexes involved, but if the media feels a need to differentiate, that's fine with me.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Seems like an accurate description, regardless of whatever intent there was with the creation of the term. The opposite of man is woman right? I just can't believe it's 2013 and this is still an issue. Surely people could be focusing their efforts into doing good instead of trying to stop two people who love each other from getting married.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
reply to post by ClintK

But what IS the argument for the media to suddenly redefine marriage? In a concerted, meme issued "lets all be on the same page" format?

The argument is very clear: the media outlets who used the term are trying to be fair to both sides. You are essentially discriminating against gays when you call opposite sex marriage simply --MARRIAGE-- but then but then fail to refer to same sex marriages by the same term.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Now that's a term biden and pelosi can get behind. Sounds like it's right up their alley.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClintK

Originally posted by Glinda
reply to post by ClintK

The argument is very clear: the media outlets who used the term are trying to be fair to both sides. You are essentially discriminating against gays when you call opposite sex marriage simply --MARRIAGE-- but then but then fail to refer to same sex marriages by the same term.

Actually the media using "same sex" and "opposite sex" marriage is creating another rift rather than being fair. In order for it to be fair and to be considered equal it should all just be referred to as marriage just as it has always been called. Isn't that what homosexual couples want- equality? Why would they let the media induce them to settle for less? It's just another way to differentiate marriages instead of treating them equally.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join