It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alert level raised for Hekla

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
www.wired.com...

the article is pulled from this post:

www.jonfr.com...

Isn't this the big boy that everyone was worried about after the last big eruption?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Here are some more links:

Webcam:
www.ruv.is...

Here is at least one nearby helicorder
www.jonfr.com...

And finally, this website is in Icelandic (translate with google, if you cannot read it). It is the most up-to-date information that I've found.
hraun.vedur.is...

Enjoy

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by herrw

I wish I knew anything about volcanoes!! Where is TA when you need him?? I wonder if he sees any EQ's over that way??

Man all this volcano activity is amping up recently it seems.....TA did another thread about the big one in the Canary Islands I believe recently....

Here... www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3/26/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/26/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hekla is not necessarily a nasty surprise waiting to happen. It goes off every 10 to 16 years, or so. However, both it and the rest of Iceland sit on the Atlantic spread zone. With the canary islands heating up, and Iceland heating up, I wonder what other volcanoes might soon be showing activity? Time for some research, me thinks.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by herrw

Yeah no kidding! Scary times ahead methinks.....

Hopefully it is nothing major!! People in the area, stay clear and keep safe!!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm working my way up the Atlantic, from the south. Helicorders are thus far difficult to find for Tristan de Cuma and Nightengale Island, but I'm continuing to look. If Tristan de Cum was heating up, that would be something significant when taken alongside the other activity along the zone.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
From what I can see, Fogo would be the next logical step (if we ignore the reported volcanoes along the mid-atlantic ridge which have never been verified). Fogo has had venting in the past, which makes it a possible candidate.

To understand exactly how the mid-atlantic ridge, a spread-zone for the expanding Atlantic ocean, runs up the Atlantic, go to this page and select a long rectangle that runs south from Iceland to Antarctica. You'll see all of the earthquake activity for the past year or so along the ridge. It will show you nicely how this is evolving.

www.iris.edu...

It seems that seismometers are less likely to be online, the further south one travels. go figure.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hekla is a big volcano but not as large as Katla:

Hekla last erupted in 2000 and Eyjafjallajökull last erupted in 2010, which caused many flights to be grounded in Europe.

Hekla is bigger and could cause a larger eruption:

Eyjafjallajökull vs Hekla
edit on 26-3-2013 by CINY8 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2013 by CINY8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join