It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark Kelly's (straw?) gun purchase canceled by store owner..should Kelly be charged with crime?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce
reply to post by coltcall

The illegal who produced the necessary identification to legally purchase a handgun...said driver license....did not present himself as an illegal. He had the driver license. That's all the illegal legally needed.

Why can an illegal get a license in TX when because of Real ID, I am required to produce a birth certificate and SS card.

We are going to hell in a hand basket?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

I'm curious, when the law of the land states: "shall not be infringed", how were your rights taken from you to begin with?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce

The illegal who produced the necessary identification to legally purchase a handgun...said driver license....did not present himself as an illegal. He had the driver license. That's all the illegal legally needed.

Why can an illegal get a license in TX when because of Real ID, I am required to produce a birth certificate and SS card.

i think the government is trying to induce as much chaos as possible so they have an excuse to take charge with real force. there is no beneficial or logical reason to let in so many illegals and allow them to get a license, job, education, etc. fast and furious seems to be an attempt to arm dangerous illegal immigrants so that when they commit crimes with guns, guns can be blamed.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Convicted by a jury of his peers. Perhaps this time the anger should be directed at other citizens when even though the Gov was wrong (by charging someone who sold something with valid paperwork).

As Dumbed Down as Americans have become...the term 'Jury of Peers' has become an anachronism.

Now, a gathering a chattering Simians might be more likely.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Nope, word is locally (Tucson) he bought two firearms. One AR and one 1911.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I guess it shows the laws work. Plus the irony is great! That's the best part.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If my wife got shot - I'd by a house full of AR's!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I don't understand the US legal side, but did he buy the gun? He can't be charged with any kind of crime if the owner didn't sell it to him?!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
First off I don't like Mark Kelly for politicizing this or any other tragedy. I believe he is running for political office and using his wife's shooting to get him the sympathy to get him there. Oh, he'll tell the constituents that he doesn't want to run, but once they beg him, he'll reluctantly agree.

That said, why hasn't anyone called foul on the gun store owner for infringing on Mark Kelly's Constitutionally given right to own that firearm? He passed the background check, he showed proper ID and filled out the forms, he should be able to purchase that firearm. I don't believe the 2nd Amendment states"....shall not be infringed unless the guy's going to use it for political gain."

Understand that the Constitution is about the government not infringing on our rights, but yet we're okay with citizens infringing on them? I'm sure there would be an uproar if a gun store stated they wouldn't sell firearms to a certain race or political affiliation.

Again, I think what he is doing is absolutely reprehensible; to use a tragedy for political gain but that's his right to do so.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

That said, why hasn't anyone called foul on the gun store owner for infringing on Mark Kelly's Constitutionally given right to own that firearm? He passed the background check, he showed proper ID and filled out the forms, he should be able to purchase that firearm. I don't believe the 2nd Amendment states"....shall not be infringed unless the guy's going to use it for political gain."

A business has the right to refuse service to anyone.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

The right to refuse? Well, that's not really true. You can't refuse service just because, there has to be a legitimate reason.

Be a small business owner and refuse service to certain groups, see how that turns out for you. Again, it is okay for a citizen to step on our rights, but let the topic of background checks come up and this board explodes with, "what part of Shall Not Be Infringed" don't you get!"

We want freedom, as long as it's the Right kind of freedom...you know...the freedom I believe in. That's wrong. ALL Americans shall be treated the same. The Gun Store Owner should have sold him the firearm and showed every step in the process to who ever would listen to show that it's not that easy to buy one.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

As long as they are not a minority.

Mark Kelly is not a minority....well, yes. Maybe he is. There aren't that many astronauts.

Will Mark Kelly file suit as a minority?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Alright, I am a little confused. Kelly should be jailed for buying a rifle or for saying he was going to give it away? Are the laws different for different people there?

Political gadfly Shaun McClusky has a new plan: He wants to hand out free shotguns in high-crime Tucson neighborhoods. McClusky says the lucky recipients “will receive a cleaning kit, they’ll receive the shotgun, they’ll receive slugs, they’ll go through a background check and they’ll also go through the training class.” The program is a local affiliate of the Armed Citizen Project, which launched in Houston earlier this year. McClusky says he’s already raised $12,000 in pledges for the program. With each “package” costing about $350, that means he has enough money to hand out roughly three dozen “single-shot, break-action shotguns,” says McClusky, who hopes to raise more money to expand the program.
Tucson Weekly

Should McClusky be charged with a crime too?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Since he was selected for astronaut core it's lead to a need for more attention to gain power in the context of his wife's tragedy. What's sad is is that such a smart person is now a power hungry fraudster.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

actually, no, there doesn't need to be a specific reason. if i sold shirts, and you came into my store, and i decided i didn't want to sell you a shirt, that would be my prerogative.

A citizen has every right to buy a guy, and the owner of a gun has every right to refuse service to anyone they want. if they want to turn down money, that is entirely their decision to make.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I am dumbfounded how an Illegal got a TX DL. I had to jump 100 hoops just to renew my ID (not DL just basic ID card) In TX.

I went in with recently expired ID, SS card, TX food handler card, and was told no, not unless you have your birth certificate. Jumped a many hoops to get my BC luckily I have fam still lives in the county because to get it online required a valid ID which I was trying to replace.

Went back for DL shortly after was asked for more info, bill with name on it, signature from landlord how the hell are the Illegals doing it???

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
the store found out the AR was being purchased for some one else, they did the legal thing and refused the sale!

the police should arrest him for trying to make a straw purchase, what he did was illegal.

buying a gun with the intent to give it to someone else is illegal! regardless of who it is, unless its part of a policeoperation! which this wasn't!

he commited a crime!

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dekard1138
the store found out the AR was being purchased for some one else, they did the legal thing and refused the sale!

the police should arrest him for trying to make a straw purchase, what he did was illegal.

buying a gun with the intent to give it to someone else is illegal! regardless of who it is, unless its part of a policeoperation! which this wasn't!

he commited a crime!

He actually announced he was buying it for someone else. At that point Mark Kelley broke a federal law, and if they gun shop owner sold it to him they would also be guilty.

Federal law prohibits straw purchases by criminalizing the making of false statements to an FFL about a material fact on ATF Form 4473, or presenting false identification in connection with the firearm purchase. Two federal statutes – 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(6) and 18 U.S.C. § 924(a)(1)(A) – are the primary laws under which straw purchases are prosecuted.

These false statements or representations are punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and up to 10 years in prison.

Furthermore, if an FFL knew that the statements on Form 4473 were false and that a straw purchase was taking place, the FFL has also violated federal law. 18 U.S.C. § 922(d)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You'd think an astronaut would know how to make his own AR 15 at a savings....

buildyourownar15.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join